    need to buy an upgrade to the Adaptec programs?

    Thanks for any help.

    Brian
    Downsside, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Downsside wrote:

    > With Windows ME I used Adaptec Direct CD v.3.01 and Easy CD creator v.4.02
    > provided with my Dell Inspiron 8000. However these programs apparently
    > have known problems of causing instability with Windows XP SP2 which I now
    > have.
    >
    > I need to format the CD-R/W discs for data backup, not music, i.e. so that
    > the CDs can be written to sequentially, and not closed each time. Packet
    > something or other?
    >
    > Can Windows XP do all this? I haven't found a way that it can yet, or do I
    > need to buy an upgrade to the Adaptec programs?

    You may look at the Roxio/Adaptec site for updates free of charge (but I
    doubt, 3.01 is rather outdated). No, XP by itself cannot format cd-rw
    disks.
    But then again, cd-rws are almost the worst possible backup media.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Downsside

    Kenny Guest

    Go here:
    http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html
    Put in any HP CDRW model, 9310i is an older one, and you can get a free
    version of Record Now.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Downsside

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 5 Mar 2005 08:50:28 +0000 (UTC) Downsside wrote:

    > With Windows ME I used Adaptec Direct CD v.3.01 and Easy CD creator v.4.02
    > provided with my Dell Inspiron 8000. However these programs apparently
    > have known problems of causing instability with Windows XP SP2 which I now
    > have.
    >
    > I need to format the CD-R/W discs for data backup, not music, i.e. so that
    > the CDs can be written to sequentially, and not closed each time. Packet
    > something or other?
    >
    > Can Windows XP do all this? I haven't found a way that it can yet, or do I
    > need to buy an upgrade to the Adaptec programs?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Brian

    www.deepburner.com
    See if it will work on XP before downloading.
    It's free and just as good if not better.
    Richard, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Downsside

    D@Z Guest

    packet in cd is a right pain...just open up the ezdc creator program, select
    multisession burning and burn the data, next time you want to add files to
    the disc select continue militsession, its the easiest way by far

    D@Z, Mar 6, 2005
  6. Downsside

    Adi Guest

    "Downsside" <> je napisal v sporoèilo
    news:Xns961059E5F4778downssidebtintenetco@217.32.252.50 ...
    > With Windows ME I used Adaptec Direct CD v.3.01 and Easy CD creator v.4.02
    > provided with my Dell Inspiron 8000. However these programs apparently

    have
    > known problems of causing instability with Windows XP SP2 which I now

    have.

    > I need to format the CD-R/W discs for data backup, not music, i.e. so that
    > the CDs can be written to sequentially, and not closed each time. Packet
    > something or other?
    >
    > Can Windows XP do all this? I haven't found a way that it can yet, or do I
    > need to buy an upgrade to the Adaptec programs?
    >
    > Thanks for any help.
    >
    > Brian

    >Windows XP Professional have built-in Roxio (Adaptec) Direct CD. You don't

    need any kind other software if you wish burn by system Direct CD and
    Windows XP. If You use any other software you can turn off this option of
    Windows XP Pro.
    Adi, Mar 7, 2005
  7. Downsside

    Charlie Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    "But then again, cd-rws are almost the worst possible backup media."

    Forgive my ignorance, but why is this?

    Charlie
    Charlie, Mar 7, 2005
  8. Charlie wrote:

    > Walter Mautner wrote:
    >
    > "But then again, cd-rws are almost the worst possible backup media."
    >
    > Forgive my ignorance, but why is this?

    From practice and failing. Well, I never ever managed to get packet-writing
    to rewrite one cdrw even remotely near the promised 1000x, not even a
    hundred. And it is hard to recognice when a cdrw begins to fail.
    Theory: a cdrw needs 3 levels of laser power: maximum to write "pits", with
    about 600 deg C, medium to "erase" (200 deg C) and low to read. In
    addition, it needs more time to "erase" (melt). Especially that part of the
    process (rewriting a cdrw) appears to become quite unreliable after even a
    few cycles.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.11-mm1[LinuxCounter#295241,ICQ#4918962]
    Walter Mautner, Mar 7, 2005
  9. Downsside

    Adi Guest

    That is not true. I use 8 years CD-RW media Verbatim for backup complete PC
    systems.
    true is only good and bad CD media discs. I use for rewriting some of them
    10 times or more.

    "Walter Mautner" <> je napisal v
    sporocilo news:-berlin.de ...
    > Charlie wrote:
    >
    > > Walter Mautner wrote:
    > >
    > > "But then again, cd-rws are almost the worst possible backup media."
    > >
    > > Forgive my ignorance, but why is this?
    > >

    > From practice and failing. Well, I never ever managed to get

    packet-writing

    Adi, Mar 8, 2005
  10. Downsside

    artoshea

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    Seattle
    MS XP Pro true rewrite CD-RW's

    I purchased XP Pro for two specific reasons being a writer I needed to create websites and Millennium could not do this.

    The primary reason I purchased it was because there was a built-in MS CD format and true RW that did edit on the fly in seconds unlike Nero, Ashampoo in aftermarket which takes about 20 minutes to format a disc and around five minutes to rewrite to it.

    All I used was something like Easy CD Creator and it worked just fine for about the first year. Then MS dropped it and there were all kinds of people on the net complaining about it.

    They deny this. Most of the evidence has been erased.

    For years I have attempted to get MS to give back what I paid for. Like doctors in med school are taught never to say, "Whoops!" but are trained to say, "Ah there we go!" instead, MSU teaches their staff to blame drivers hardware and everything under the sun but never fix what they DID provide.

    I paid for a Mercedes and got a Yugo.

    As a writer I am an "artist" much like a musician let's say a pianist. I purchase the multi-thousand dollar instrument say a Steinway and a year later the factory sends out an "update" which is truly "New & Improved" and they remove all the black keys and tell me with a smile that now I can again compose music.

    I know I am not alone here.

    After years of misdirection by MS today I attempted to begin a class action law suit to get what we paid for.

    Are you interested?

    I have asked MS not to pee on my leg and tell me it is raining.

    Let's do it,
    Artoshea
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
    artoshea, Feb 18, 2010