Format C:

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pepperoni, May 6, 2004.

  1. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Meryl Vowles" <> wrote in message
    > Can anybody tell me how I could format C:

    Check your help files term "format"

    For Win98 systems:

    To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed

    Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.

    Press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
    appears.

    Select Command prompt only and press ENTER.

    At the C:\ prompt, type format c: and press ENTER.

    Follow the instructions on your screen.

    Caution
    Formatting a disk removes all information from the disk. Your computer may
    not function if you format the disk (usually the C: drive) on which Windows
    98 is installed.

    Pepperoni, May 6, 2004

  2. Pepperoni

    Global_Killa Guest

    Depends what OS (Operating System) you are running. If you are running
    Windows 98, read the post from Pepperoni.

    If you are running Windows ME, you need to create a start up disk. Go into
    Control Panel and double click Add/Remove Programs. Click on the Startup
    Disk tab, and click Create Disk.

    Once the disk has been created, then restart your machine, making sure that
    you leave the disk in. When your computer boots, a menu will be displayed.
    Select Minimum Boot.

    When your at the command prompt, type: format c:

    Hit return, and press Y to confirm that you want to format.

    Warning:
    Everything on drive C: will be deleted, this will include your OS and any
    files that you have. Make sure that you have a backup of everything that you
    want to keep. And a setup disk for the OS if you plan to reinstall it.

    Wait for the format process to complete, then everything is done.

    If your running Windows XP, the only way I have found to format is to have
    the Startup Disk created under WinME.
    If anyone knows how to format XP another way, please let me know (without
    the use of the Windows XP installation CD).

    Hope this helped,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, May 6, 2004

  3. Pepperoni

    Wizard Guest

    a:>format c:

    Wizard, May 6, 2004
  4. Pepperoni

    bmoag Guest

    If you have to ask you need to read a bit more about what "format" means . .
    ..

    bmoag, May 7, 2004
  5. Pepperoni

    Meryl Vowles Guest

    Can anybody tell me how I could format C:

    Meryl Vowles, May 7, 2004
  6. Pepperoni

    HF Guest

    They are right but to be more help I suggest you look at
    www.computerhope.com and www.probz.com
    Did you realise that there are websites such as www.whatis.com and
    www.askjeeves.com
    > Can anybody tell me how I could format C:

    ---

    HF, May 7, 2004