    Octopus wreaks havoc
    http://tinyurl.com/5a879m
    , Nov 2, 2008

  2. WAIT does work in XP, I use it a lot. Try the syntax /W switch. If it still
    does not work then there is the Sleep command that is available thru the
    2003 resource kit. More info here http://malektips.com/xp_dos_0002.html

    The Real Truth MVP, Nov 2, 2008

  3. Guest

    "The Real Truth MVP" <> wrote:

    >WAIT does work in XP, I use it a lot. Try the syntax /W switch. If it still
    >does not work then there is the Sleep command that is available thru the
    >2003 resource kit. More info here http://malektips.com/xp_dos_0002.html

    I did a WAIT /? in a CMD window and it said it wasn't a command, and
    I've found no reference to it.

    Thank you for the sleep command advice, it also comes with the
    NTresource kit :] - I've had it so long you'd of thought I'd of
    known/remembered it.

    My .bat file now reads

    Sleep 5
    Format Z: /FS:fat32 /Y /V:Ramdrive

    And it does what I wanted it to - thank you very much.

    --

    bowling balls
    http://www.loanmeyoursister.com/?p=36
  4. Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    >> What I need is a timer function so that when the .bat file runs it
    >> needs to count down before running the command.

    > What's wrong with using Scheduled Tasks?

    I reboot, or start my computer at all and any times of the day.
    --

    bowling balls
    http://www.loanmeyoursister.com/?p=36
    , Nov 2, 2008
  5. Guest

    Bill <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > says...

    >> > What's wrong with using Scheduled Tasks?

    Have never used the program as it just sits in the tasktray and would
    do one thing. It's also one of the items I disable as part of setting
    up a system; I have done this since Win95.

    As a replacement I use PowerPro
    http://powerpro.webeddie.com/

    >> I reboot, or start my computer at all and any times of the day.

    > So you set it for 'When the computer starts' or 'When I log on'.
    >Or am I missng something?

    It has to be the very last thing to run, the Sleep command is working
    very well for me.

    But I do thank you for your suggestion.

    --

    Bette Davis Eyes
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-RdAzkKlXY
  6. richard Guest

    On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:03:17 -0700, wrote:

    >I have a ram drive that won't format itself anymore.
    >
    >So I have a .bat file in my startup directory that reads:
    >
    >Format Z: /FS:fat32 /Y /V:Ramdrive
    >
    >It doesn't work on startup, as the drive loads after the startup items
    >do; It will work (format the drive, no requesters) if I click on the
    >.bat file after XP has finished loading.
    >
    >What I need is a timer function so that when the .bat file runs it
    >needs to count down before running the command.
    >
    >WAIT isn't available on XP, PAUSE has a requester, wading thru
    >%windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    >nada.
    >
    >Any help? I'm open to using Cygwin.

    I have got to know, why the heck do you want to constantly reformat
    the drive?
    I would think that after so many times, the drive is gonna fail.
    I understand it is a ramdrive, so, perhaps you could look at the
    probability of deleting the ramdrive entirely then creating a new one.

    For instance, setup a batch file to delete on shutdown, another one to
    create on startup.
    richard, Nov 2, 2008
  7. VanguardLH Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a ram drive that won't format itself anymore.
    >
    > So I have a .bat file in my startup directory that reads:
    >
    > Format Z: /FS:fat32 /Y /V:Ramdrive
    >
    > It doesn't work on startup, as the drive loads after the startup items
    > do; It will work (format the drive, no requesters) if I click on the
    > .bat file after XP has finished loading.
    >
    > What I need is a timer function so that when the .bat file runs it
    > needs to count down before running the command.
    >
    > WAIT isn't available on XP, PAUSE has a requester, wading thru
    > %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    > nada.
    >
    > Any help? I'm open to using Cygwin.

    Windows 2003 Resource Kit
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en
    (contains sleep.com utility)

    NOTE: Always ignore any advice from pcbutts1 (who nymshifted to The Real
    Truth MVP). Pat has never been and never will be an MVP.
    VanguardLH, Nov 2, 2008
  8. Desk Rabbit Guest

    richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:03:17 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> I have a ram drive that won't format itself anymore.
    >>
    >> So I have a .bat file in my startup directory that reads:
    >>
    >> Format Z: /FS:fat32 /Y /V:Ramdrive
    >>
    >> It doesn't work on startup, as the drive loads after the startup items
    >> do; It will work (format the drive, no requesters) if I click on the
    >> .bat file after XP has finished loading.
    >>
    >> What I need is a timer function so that when the .bat file runs it
    >> needs to count down before running the command.
    >>
    >> WAIT isn't available on XP, PAUSE has a requester, wading thru
    >> %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    >> nada.
    >>
    >> Any help? I'm open to using Cygwin.

    > I have got to know, why the heck do you want to constantly reformat
    > the drive?

    Indeed especially considering the the contents of a ram drive are lost
    over a reboot. Seems totally pointless to me so I must be missing something.
    Desk Rabbit, Nov 2, 2008
  9. chuckcar Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 19:03:17 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a ram drive that won't format itself anymore.
    >>>
    >>> So I have a .bat file in my startup directory that reads:
    >>>
    >>> Format Z: /FS:fat32 /Y /V:Ramdrive
    >>>
    >>> It doesn't work on startup, as the drive loads after the startup items
    >>> do; It will work (format the drive, no requesters) if I click on the
    >>> .bat file after XP has finished loading.
    >>>
    >>> What I need is a timer function so that when the .bat file runs it
    >>> needs to count down before running the command.
    >>>
    >>> WAIT isn't available on XP, PAUSE has a requester, wading thru
    >>> %windir%\hh.exe ms-its:%windir%\Windows\Help\ntcmds.chm::/ntcmds.htm
    >>> nada.
    >>>
    >>> Any help? I'm open to using Cygwin.

    >> I have got to know, why the heck do you want to constantly reformat
    >> the drive?

    > Indeed especially considering the the contents of a ram drive are lost
    > over a reboot. Seems totally pointless to me so I must be missing
    > something.

    No, only that a) a RAM drive is *fast* b) needs to be formatted *each*
    boot. c) uses only memory that is needed for windows itself d) completely
    pointless on present computers - has been since 95.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 2, 2008
  10. You're welcome.

    The Real Truth MVP, Nov 2, 2008
  11. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >>> I have got to know, why the heck do you want to constantly reformat
    >>> the drive?

    >> Indeed especially considering the the contents of a ram drive are lost
    >> over a reboot. Seems totally pointless to me so I must be missing
    >> something.

    >No, only that a) a RAM drive is *fast* b) needs to be formatted *each*
    >boot. c) uses only memory that is needed for windows itself

    Correct.

    >d) completely
    >pointless on present computers - has been since 95.

    I started serious computing on an AmigA 500, 2000, and 3000, it has a
    ram drive that grows as you need it, 5K to 10 megs for me (dynamic),
    windows Ramdrive is static (drag); I'm just used to one, and have
    always had one.

    Every download you file, every PDF you read online, every time you
    need a place to work on a project - you use your disk drive, but
    rarely delete the files and they build up until you need to do a bit
    of maintenance.

    A ramdrive allows me to delete all the above that I don't need on a
    reboot, plus it's where my TEMP directory and IE's temp internet files
    (cache) are located¹.

    My XP worked just fine with 512Megs, I fell for the "you can't run XP
    on 512Megs" line, and installed an extra 2 Gigs - I've got memory to
    burn, my Ramdrive is 300Megs.

    ¹ I don't use IE, but it's temp internet files directory always seems
    to fill up.

    --

    Bette Davis Eyes
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=_-RdAzkKlXY
    , Nov 2, 2008
  12. Guest

    , Nov 2, 2008
  13. John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Nov 2, 2008
  14. Guest

    , Nov 2, 2008
  15. Guest

    , Nov 2, 2008
  16. Buffalo Guest

    Buffalo, Nov 2, 2008
  17. John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Nov 2, 2008
  18. John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Nov 2, 2008
  19. John Holmes Guest

    John Holmes, Nov 2, 2008
  20. Guest

    John H. Guillory <> wrote:

    >Weird, all the ram disk I've ever used where auto-formated when the
    >driver was created.

    So did mine until a week ago. Dual booting, one works fine the other
    needs formatting. this ramdrive is by SuperSpeed software.

    My Ramdisk by Qsoft broke when I changed one of my 6 Fat32 partitions
    to NTFS (games are getting larger).
    --

    Ever watch the surface of the sun?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1WsC1TR-x8