    Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely. My PC is
    using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
    Plus to do this? Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

    Tsun Szu, Aug 11, 2004

  2. Tsun Szu

    Pepperoni Guest

    Your best method to "help" someone format his drive is to direct him to his
    help files for the proper proceedure. Formatting isn't difficult, the
    instructions are straightforward, and the process proceeds automatically
    once initiated.
    *****************
    (Win98)
    help/"formatting disks" (related topics)
    ^^^^^^^^^
    To format a disk on which Windows 98 is installed

    Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart, and then click OK.

    Press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
    appears.

    Select Command prompt only and press ENTER.

    At the C:\ prompt, type format c: and press ENTER.

    Follow the instructions on your screen.

    Caution

    Formatting a disk removes all information from the disk. Your computer may
    not function if you format the disk (usually the C: drive) on which Windows
    98 is installed.

    Pepperoni, Aug 11, 2004

  3. Tsun Szu

    Stuart Guest

    Tsun Szu wrote:

    > Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely. My PC is
    > using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
    > Plus to do this? Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

    What about guiding the other person over the phone?

    Stuart

    Stuart, Aug 16, 2004
  4. Tsun Szu

    Rv! Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > What about guiding the other person over the phone?
    > Stuart

    I was doing that the other day with a customer. We FDISKed the
    drive and created two partitions as they needed, went through all
    the usual crap stuff creating them (Win98.) Anyway near the end I
    remember to say "Set the first partition active" and the customer then
    re-run FDISK... Well, he couldn't, no matter what I said, rebooting
    from 98se CD, going all through it spelling everything, you know what
    I mean. Anyway, the call ends and he's off to try again. An hour later
    he's back again still can't get FDISK to work and the HDD will not
    boot. I try again, spelling everything again only to hear...

    "Oh it's not spelt F D I S C? Maybe that was the problem?"

    Sometimes, I could cry, sometimes I could slap them so hard!

    Rv!
    (Hello to the idiot in South Queensferry, Edinburgh!)

    Rv!, Aug 18, 2004
  5. Tsun Szu

    Trent© Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:53:18 +0800, "Tsun Szu" <>
    wrote:

    >Is it possible to help format someone else's hard drive remotely.

    Help? Sure...by telephone.

    If you want to CONTROL his computer...and do it remotely THAT
    way...yes, there are programs out there that you can install and take
    control of his computer. But you'll only be able format any secondary
    drives...not his boot drive.

    >My PC is
    >using win98se and that someone else's PC is using winXP. Can I install MS
    >Plus to do this?

    No.

    >Any other alternative method/software that I can use?

    Google for VNC remote control. There are many other program like
    that...including PC Anywhere.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice one...

    Trent

    Over 50? Go here...in PERSON if you can...
    http://web.wxyz.com/cars/wdc2004/

    Trent©, Aug 19, 2004