Format a 20G HDD, One Partition, With Small Size Clusters

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Brad, May 30, 2008.

  1. Brad

    Brad Guest

    Hi,

    I installed a 20G HDD in my Windows 98se computer. With one partition,
    I formatted it. The results is 16K byte clusters. With a FAT32 system,
    a 32 bit number ("index") can represent around 4.3G. This in effect should
    allow around 4 billion clusters maximum.

    The major reason for a smaller cluster size is to reduce waste of disk
    space. Example, if you wrote a 1K byte file to the HDD, the free space will
    be reduced by 16K (15K wasted).

    How can I format this 20G HDD in such a way to produce smaller clusters
    without adding partitions?

    Thanks in advance, Brad

    be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

    Brad, May 30, 2008