formalizing my knowledge - A+ ?

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Danny Kile, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Danny Kile

    Danny Kile Guest

    fgphotog wrote:
    > I have a kinda natural ability around pc 's and am the guy all my family and
    > friends call on to fix their problems , setup their home lan, install their
    > periphs etc.
    > I was thinking that'd be nice to do a course and solidify my knowledge.
    > Maybe even provide a career opportunity. I read on this group about A+ but
    > dont really know what it is or where you take it. Can anyone enlighten me -
    > I am near Toronto ?
    > thanks
    > Frank

    Reading materiel a good place to start is Michael Mayers A+
    certification guide. It is in it's forth edition, however, the A+ test
    will be changing in November and this book will be somewhat out dated
    then. A new version fifth edition will be out then and cover more of the
    new test which will include Windows ME and XP. See the below link for
    more info.

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...5182728/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-2287074-6551037

    Comptia.com web page for location on where to take the test can be found
    here.

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/general_information/test_locations.asp?type=certification

    Michael Mayers's Total Seminars web page can be found here. It offers
    some good savings on vouchers and testing materiel. You can also get his
    book directly from him there.

    http://totalsem.com/

    --
    Danny Kile
    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY

    "Dogs come when they're called, CATS take a message and get back to
    you." Mary Bly

    Danny Kile, Oct 3, 2003

  2. For little money, use the book that Danny Kile gave you, the Mike Meyers AIO
    $42, from either Amazon or from the Mike Meyers Site (totalsem.com). If you
    would like to get it all (Book and vouchers) at once Do it from Total
    Seminars and get the extra practice CD with the vouchers at the same time as
    the book. Right now they have a sale on vouchers for 199 for both tests,
    and the book for 42 (and S&H of course). Mike makes a good point in his
    book about if you want to force yourself to get through it, buy the
    vouchers, schedule the test, and then study study study.

    You can get the book at half.com for starting about 33 used/37 new.

    Philip

    C. Philip Cutler II, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Danny Kile

    Jerry Guest

    Try your local library. I took out a couple of books and studied them.

    fgphotog, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Danny Kile

    fgphotog Guest

    fgphotog, Oct 4, 2003
  6. Danny Kile

    fgphotog Guest

    thank you for this info

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0072222743/qid=1065182728/sr=2-1/ref=

    fgphotog, Oct 4, 2003
  7. Danny Kile

    fgphotog Guest

    I downloaded and looked at the 'coverage' of subject matter under the
    hardware and os component exams

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/aplus_core_hardware_objectives.pdf

    http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/aplus_os_objectives.pdf

    - is All this material covered and explained in the recommended book (mike
    meyers') ?

    How does the voucher thing work - wherever you may be in the world, you
    apply the vouchers to the cost of the exams ?

    fgphotog, Oct 5, 2003