    If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?

    I'm on Windows XP wireless home network

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008

  2. Guest

    John Guest

    I don't think so. Do you have control of the router? Change the password if
    you do.

    John, Jul 22, 2008

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I thought that was what I might need to do. :-(

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  4. On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <> wrote:

    >If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
    >
    >I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
    >
    >Jeff

    Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
    the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
    (substitute your router's IP address if different):

    http://192.168.1.1

    Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    Steve Winograd, Jul 22, 2008
  5. Guest

    DeeJay Guest

    Take a look at Steve Winograd's reply. If the password (stored in your
    router) is readable, you may not have to change it. Copy and paste will do
    the job.

    DeeJay, Jul 22, 2008
  6. As noted by the others you may need to redo the wireless encryption key and
    type, etc on your network. If you do I suggest using Windows Connect Now
    [WCN] and save off the configuration on a flash drive. It comes in handy if
    you need to add clients (guest or otherwise) or if you simply get into a
    situation like your in now.

    If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
    easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
    navigating to the \Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt file and copying the key to the
    wireless access point/router or client.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows - Desktop User Experience)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...
    How to ask a question
    http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

    Sooner Al [MVP], Jul 22, 2008
  7. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Steve Winograd wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
    >>
    >> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
    > the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
    > (substitute your router's IP address if different):
    >
    > http://192.168.1.1
    >
    > Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

    Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could not find
    it.

    I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
    network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
    password.

    I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
    shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
    password visible anywhere else on its screens.

    I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

    Thanks.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  8. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Steve Winograd wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <> wrote:
    >
    >> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
    >>
    >> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
    > the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
    > (substitute your router's IP address if different):
    >
    > http://192.168.1.1
    >
    > Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

    Another thought:
    I have 2 other Windows XP PCs that now connect automatically with this
    WPA-PSK protected wireless home network. So the password is somewhere in
    these 2 PCs. Is there a way to recover it from them somewhere in their
    Windows XP's files?

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  9. <> wrote in message

    > I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
    > network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
    > password.

    Presumably when we use the XP Network Wizard to create
    a floppy to add PCs to a network, WPA password is among
    its functions.

    > I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
    > shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
    > password visible anywhere else on its screens.

    On first use my Trendnet router required me to log into
    the company's web site (if only as guest/password)
    in order to input new default settings. The process was
    fast and error-free.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Jul 22, 2008
  10. Guest

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
    > network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
    > password.
    >
    > I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
    > shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
    > password visible anywhere else on its screens.
    >
    > I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

    Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed? Wouldn't it
    be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from Trendnet? It's only a
    matter of typing 8 character (or longer) passphrase, copy and paste it into
    a text file stored in USB flash drive.

    John, Jul 22, 2008
  11. Guest

    Lem Guest

    wrote:
    > Steve Winograd wrote:
    >> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:03:12 -0400, <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If you've forgotten your WPA password, is there a way to recover it?
    >>>
    >>> I'm on Windows XP wireless home network
    >>>
    >>> Jeff

    >> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log into
    >> the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For example
    >> (substitute your router's IP address if different):
    >>
    >> http://192.168.1.1
    >>
    >> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

    > Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could not find
    > it.
    >
    > I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless home
    > network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for the old
    > password.
    >
    > I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password is not
    > shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I cannot find the
    > password visible anywhere else on its screens.
    >
    > I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Jeff

    Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
    configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
    that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
    password is displayed?

    If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
    case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
    suggested.

    If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The router's
    configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the WPA-PSK
    password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all asterisks) in
    order to change it.

    The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
    yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look around
    pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you want.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jul 22, 2008
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    John wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
    >> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
    >> the old password.
    >>
    >> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
    >> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
    >> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
    >>
    >> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.

    > Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
    > Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
    > Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
    > passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
    > drive.

    You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get the
    network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I think>

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  13. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Steve Winograd wrote:

    >>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log
    >>> into the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For
    >>> example (substitute your router's IP address if different):
    >>>
    >>> http://192.168.1.1
    >>>
    >>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

    >> Thank you Steve. That's the first thing I thought to do but could
    >> not find it.
    >>
    >> I use a Trendnet 432BRP router which is working fine in my wireless
    >> home network. I need to add a new PC which is why I am looking for
    >> the old password.
    >>
    >> I went to the Trendnet's Wireless Security screen but the password
    >> is not shown anywhere there. Just that it is a WPA-PSK, etc. I
    >> cannot find the password visible anywhere else on its screens.
    >>
    >> I will email their support to see if there is a way to recover it.
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Jeff
    >>

    > Are you saying that you can see the password in the router's
    > configuration utility but that it is obscured (e.g., all asterisks) or
    > that you can't find the place in the configuration utility where the
    > password is displayed?
    >
    > If the former, that would be a bit unusual but unfortunate. In this
    > case, your best option is simply to set a new password as John has
    > suggested.
    >
    > If the latter, you plainly are looking in the wrong place. The
    > router's configuration utility permits you to set (or change) the
    > WPA-PSK password. You have to be able to see it (even if it's all
    > asterisks) in order to change it.
    >
    > The Trendnet 432BRP has several releases, and you didn't mention which
    > yours was. The features and manuals are slightly different. Look
    > around pages 33-36 of your manual for a description of the screen you
    > want.

    It is a B1 but I believe I updated the firmware a year or so ago.

    I guess I just have not found the correct screen. The Wireless Security
    screen I find for the password looks like this
    http://www.orthohelp.com/uploads/wireless security.gif
    and it does not show the password screen. (Not much else below that image)

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  14. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Found mt Trendnet pdf manual which says that if I select WPA-PSK I should
    get the following screen:
    http://www.orthohelp.com/uploads/wireless security2.gif
    but I do not :-( Hence my problem.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  15. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Figured it out.

    I found the screen with the passwords and how to access it - unfortunately
    the password is asterisked.

    I decided to put in a new one anyway.

    Thanks for the help.

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  16. Guest

    John Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >> Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
    >> Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
    >> Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
    >> passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
    >> drive.

    > You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get the
    > network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I think>

    Ah, I see. If there's no way to see stored passphrase in your router, the
    only solution is to change it. I doubt there's a way to retrieve stored WiFi
    passphrase from your Windows PCs.

    John, Jul 22, 2008
  17. Guest

    Guest Guest

    John wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there any reason why the passphrase should never be changed?
    >>> Wouldn't it be quicker to change it than waiting for a reply from
    >>> Trendnet? It's only a matter of typing 8 character (or longer)
    >>> passphrase, copy and paste it into a text file stored in USB flash
    >>> drive.

    >> You have a point. It's just the ugly memory of what it took to get
    >> the network working a year ago that makes me hesitate .... <grin - I
    >> think>

    > Ah, I see. If there's no way to see stored passphrase in your router,
    > the only solution is to change it. I doubt there's a way to retrieve
    > stored WiFi passphrase from your Windows PCs.

    Anyway, I solved the problem. Changed the password all around and it works.

    Much worry about nothing!

    Jeff

    Guest, Jul 22, 2008
  18. Hi
    Hmm.. Can you explain why you are reluctant to change the Pass Phrase?
    It is a good security policy to change it periodically to begin with.
    It takes less than a minute to change it in the Router, and few second to
    type the new pass phrase to each wireless computer when you log on the first
    time.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Jul 23, 2008
  19. Guest

    Guest

    I know. It's just that it was so emotionally traumatic to get the wlan
    working when I first put it together that I hate to rock the boat now that
    it is working fine. But I did it.

    Jeff

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    > Hmm.. Can you explain why you are reluctant to change the Pass Phrase?
    > It is a good security policy to change it periodically to begin with.
    > It takes less than a minute to change it in the Router, and few
    > second to type the new pass phrase to each wireless computer when you
    > log on the first time.
    > Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >> Steve Winograd wrote:

    >>> Connect a computer to your router using an Ethernet cable and log
    >>> into the router in Internet Explorer using its IP address. For
    >>> example (substitute your router's IP address if different):
    >>>
    >>> http://192.168.1.1
    >>>
    >>> Go to the wireless security screen and see what the WPA password is.

    >> Another thought:
    >> I have 2 other Windows XP PCs that now connect automatically with
    >> this WPA-PSK protected wireless home network. So the password is
    >> somewhere in these 2 PCs. Is there a way to recover it from them
    >> somewhere in their Windows XP's files?
    >>
    >> Jeff

    , Jul 24, 2008