    copy the data i need and then reinstal the OS , and this time without
    the password thing

    any suggestions to his dilenema??

    NewB, Sep 5, 2004

  2. NewB

    Unk Guest

    On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 21:03:43 -0400, NewB <> wrote:

    >a friend asked me to recommend a data recovery ap to retrieve some
    >files..
    >
    >He explained it:
    >
    >i cant access the main partition on my other drive cuz i dont remember
    >the passowrd.....its using WIN XP PRO
    >so im just gonna use a data recover prog to read the info on it and
    >copy the data i need and then reinstal the OS , and this time without
    >the password thing
    >
    >any suggestions to his dilenema??

    How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password
    Expires
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=321305

    To log on as Administrator and reset the password:

    Restart the computer. After the Power On Self Test (POST),
    press the F8 key.

    On the Windows Advanced Options menu, use the ARROW keys to
    select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.

    When you are prompted to select the operating system to start,
    select Microsoft Windows XP edition (where "edition" is the
    edition of Windows XP that is installed), and then press ENTER.

    On the To begin, click your user name screen, click
    "Administrator".

    Type the administrator password, and then press ENTER.
    NOTE: In some cases, the Administrator password may be set to a
    blank password. In this case, do not type a password before you press ENTER.

    Click Yes to acknowledge that Windows is running in Safe mode.

    Click Start, and then click Control Panel (or point to Settings,
    and then click Control Panel).

    Click User Accounts.

    Click the user account whose password you want to change.

    Click Change Password if you want to keep using a password,
    or click Remove password if you do not want to use a password.

    If you remove the password, skip the next step.

    Type the new password for the user, and then click "Change
    Password".

    Quit the User Accounts tool, and then restart the computer.

    Cannot Change the Password for the Administrator Account in User Accounts in
    Control Panel
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298252

    Resetting Passwords
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/ex_password.asp

    Lost/Forgotten Windows XP Password
    http://8help.ohio-state.edu/878.html
    http://www.mirider.com/ntaccess.html

    XP passwords rendered useless.

    Anyone with a Windows 2000 CD can boot up a Windows XP box and start
    the Windows 2000 Recovery Console, a trouble shooting program.
    Windows XP then allows the visitor to operate as Administrator without
    a password, even if the Administrator account has a strong password.
    The visitor can also operate in any of the other user accounts that may
    be present on the XP machine, even if those accounts have passwords.
    Source: http://www.briansbuzz.com/w/030213/

    Recover/reset lost passwords:

    Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, Bootdisk / CD

    John the Ripper - http://www.openwall.com/john/

    LC4 - http://www.atstake.com/products/lc/

    SAM Inside - http://www.insidepro.com/eng/saminside.shtml

    Unk, Sep 5, 2004

  3. NewB

    Borat Guest

    if he had a second hard drive he could format that; then attach the other as
    a slave and copy all his data off.

    Borat, Sep 5, 2004