    it. Is there an easy way to get by this blunder?
    Thank you,
    Seamus J. Wilson

    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Seamus J. Wilson

    bardeban Guest

    "Seamus J. Wilson" <> wrote in message
    news:O_isl.28105$...
    > Messed up playing with the password for sys administrator in XP PRO. I
    > lost it. Is there an easy way to get by this blunder?
    > Thank you,
    > Seamus J. Wilson
    >Boot your computer, when you see the logon blue screen, press
    >ctrl-alt-delete twice

    windows logon screen with user name and blank password appears
    press enter without putting any password
    when computer logs on and you are on desktop, go to control panel/ user
    account and set any password you want or leave it blank or delete the
    password already there
    reboot

    bardeban, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Thank you for the help,I will try it.
    Best,
    Seamus J.

    Seamus J. Wilson, Mar 7, 2009
  4. Seamus J. Wilson

    G. Morgan Guest

    Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    >Thank you for the help,I will try it.

    I have these notes from somewhere and I forgot the source, so my apologies to
    the author.

    ----

    Resetting a Forgotten Password Tutorial

    NOTES

    - The built-in Administrator account is found on the
    Welcome screen only if there are no other accounts
    available, other than Guest, or when the computer is
    booted into Safe Mode.
    - To get Admin account on the "Welcome Screen" make sure
    that there are no accounts logged in.
    - The built-in Administrator account can create and
    change passwords for all users, but cannot restore a
    forgotten one.
    - When a password is changed, that account will lose
    all encrypted files, personal certificates and stored
    Internet Explorer passwords or network resources.
    - Press "CTRL-ALT-DEL" twice to get the classic Windows
    logon box. Type: Administrator. If this account has a
    password, enter it. Otherwise, leave the it blank.
    - Recovering a password is much more difficult. Using
    a cracking program can take weeks!

    RESET A PASSWORD USING THE ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT

    1. Boot into Safe Mode.
    2. Log on using the built-in Administrator account.
    3. Open: Control Panel -> User Accounts.
    4. On the Users tab, select a user name, the password
    to change and click Reset Password.

    RESET A PASSWORD AT THE LOGON SCREEN WITH THE COMMAND PROMPT

    At the logon screen, press Shift+F10 to open a Command
    Prompt with administrative privileges and type:

    net user {username} {password}

    {username} = The Account's User Name
    {password} = This will be the new password

    RESET A PASSWORD USING MICROSOFT'S ERD COMMANDER

    1. Download a 30 day trial from here:

    Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolset 5.0 $65 64 MB
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-0554-4595-8AB4-C34B2860E087&displaylang=en

    2. Install it, run it and burn the image to a CD.
    3. Boot the CD and run the Locksmith Wizard, found under
    Start -> System Tools.
    4. The Locksmith Wizard is very easy to use, just select an
    account and input a new password. Too easy!

    RESET A PASSWORD USING OFFLINE NT PASSWORD & REGISTRY EDITOR

    Bootable CD (Freeware):
    http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

    - This disc can set, reset or unlock the password of any
    user account.
    - You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
    - Works with Windows NT/2k/XP/Vista.

    RESET A PASSWORD USING NT PASSWORD HACK

    This will blank the Administrator password (Freeware):
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/tools/ntpassword/ntpasswordhack.zip

    RECOVER A PASSWORD USING THE LOGIN RECOVERY WEB SERVICE

    Login Recovery is a service to recover passwords for Windows NT,
    2000, XP, 2003 and Vista (Fast = $30, 3-day wait = Free):
    http://www.loginrecovery.com/index.php

    LINKS

    How to reset the Administrator's password:
    http://www.petri.co.il/forgot_administrator_password.htm

    EFS, Credentials, and Private Keys from Certificates Are
    Unavailable After a Password Is Reset:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290260/en-us

    Administrator and User Passwords in Windows XP:
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_passwords.htm

    G. Morgan, Mar 7, 2009
  5. Seamus J. Wilson

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 6 Mar 2009 17:13:34 -0700, Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

    >Messed up playing with the password for sys administrator in XP PRO. I lost
    >it. Is there an easy way to get by this blunder?

    Lost it or forgot it?

    Sort of like this, http://home.eunet.no/pnordahl/ntpasswd/
    which has been mentioned many times in
    when the same question has been asked before.

    120 results for pnordahl.

    Other apps also mentioned as well.

    Also don't forget it's very easy to fix if you login as the backup
    administrator account.

    >Thank you,
    >Seamus J. Wilson

    Me