    key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym91bmR3aW5ncw==?=, Nov 12, 2007

  2. "boundwings" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a wireless network set-up at my home since I work remote for my
    > company. Sadly my work laptop died and I now have a new one but I cant get
    > it
    > to connect to my home wireless because I have forgotten the network
    > security
    > key password. Is there anything I can do or where can I look on my desktop
    > computer (where the wireless network was set-up) to retrieve the forgotten
    > password to get the laptop onto the wireless network.

    Some routers allow you to display the wireless encryption key in plain text.
    Look at the router admin pages and see if that is the case.

    If you can't then I suggest creating a new key and saving it off to a USB
    flash drive. For help doing that using Windows Connect Now (WCN) in either
    Vista or XP see these pages...

    http://blogs.msdn.com/wndp/archive/2007/01/04/vista_5F00_networking_5F00_goodies_5F00_part1.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0406.mspx

    If your wireless access point/router or clients do not support WCN you can
    easily copy-n-paste the network key by opening the flash drive and
    navigating to the "\Smrtntky\Wsetting.txt" file and copying the key to the
    wireless access point/router or client.

    --

    Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

    mutual benefit of all of us...
    rights...

    Sooner Al [MVP], Nov 12, 2007

  3. Thank you for your help. I got the wirless network onto my work laptop, but
    when I connect it says limits or no connectivity even though it shows all 5
    bars and when i click on it it says the network did not assign a network
    address to the computer. So now I guess I need to know how to assign a
    network address and then I should be good

    =?Utf-8?B?Ym91bmR3aW5ncw==?=, Nov 12, 2007
  4. Hi
    Disable the security on both the Router and the computer, make sure that it
    is working OK and then issue a New security setting.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 13, 2007
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Ym91bmR3aW5ncw==?=

    Lem Guest

    Did you actually find your previous password using the router's
    configuration utility as suggested by Sooner Al? It sounds like you
    didn't. The symptoms you describe typically result from a misconfigured
    security setting.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Nov 13, 2007