    is wrong. I am not able to bring up the screen with the icons or the start
    button to change anything. Can some one please help me if that is possible.
    Thank you...

    monicamom4, Jun 4, 2006

  2. monicamom4

    Syd Guest

    "monicamom4" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have windows 98 and when I turn on the PC it asks for a password for the
    > network under my user name. When I press cancel it tells me that the
    > passord
    > is wrong. I am not able to bring up the screen with the icons or the
    > start
    > button to change anything. Can some one please help me if that is
    > possible.
    > Thank you...

    (hmm.. it seems that I forgot how 98 works..)

    can you log in with another username? Is it an home pc? Is it a standalone
    or in a network?

    Syd, Jun 4, 2006

  3. monicamom4

    CocoaNut Guest

    Syd,

    If I remember Win 98 correctly, from how monicamom4 is describing the
    problem, I believe she has the logon setup under the Family Logon
    configuration (configured from Network in the Control Panel, I believe). I
    don't think this would have to be under a network, though; just happens to be
    in the Network protocol options in the Control Panel.

    monicamom4: If you have some way of accessing the hard drive (possibly
    through a network) you can probably edit your password by editing the PWL
    file which stores passwords for Windows 95-98 user accounts. Try
    http://www.openwall.com/passwords/microsoft-windows-95-98-me-pwl or
    http://www.governmentsecurity.org/articles/BreakingWindows98Passwords.php.
    Any luck?

    Hope this helps,