    command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    what version of Windows it can handle.

    tia
    Lookout, Jan 13, 2005

  2. Lookout

    Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:08:32 -0600, Lookout <>
    wrote:

    |> We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    |> command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    |> what version of Windows it can handle.

    You'll need a third party program for this. But if you watch the boot up
    screen(s) you can get 2 of your three questions answer'd. the third
    question can be answered by googleing your bios number (also shown on
    boot up). You can press the Pause\break key while booting to pause the
    screen(s), enter to continue.

    --
    , Jan 13, 2005

  3. Lookout

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Lookout
    says...
    > We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    > command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    > what version of Windows it can handle.

    MSD.exe

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 13, 2005
  4. Lookout

    Richard Guest

    "Lookout" <> wrote in message
    > We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    > command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    > what version of Windows it can handle.
    >
    > tia

    If the dos version is practically anything after 6, it should handle at
    least windows ME with no problems.
    You can always open the case and look at what information might be available
    directly on the boards.

    I haven't done this in years, but I do know there is a way in DOS to show
    what is happening line by line and confirming each line.

    And you might also find your answers in "setup".
    Try pressing "esc", F2 or F8 during boot.
    Richard, Jan 13, 2005
  5. Lookout

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:08:32 -0600, Lookout <> wrote:

    >We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    >command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    >what version of Windows it can handle.

    There is no such command.

    >tia

    -Barry
    ========
    "I see only with deep regret that God punishes so many of His children for
    their numerous stupidities, for which only He Himself can be held responsible;
    in my opinion, only His nonexistence could excuse Him."
    [A. Einstein (Letter to Edgar Meyer, Jan. 2, 1915)]

    Barry OGrady, Jan 13, 2005
  6. Lookout

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jan 14, 2005
  7. Lookout

    Lookout Guest

    On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:42:55 GMT, wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:08:32 -0600, Lookout <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >|> We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    >|> command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    >|> what version of Windows it can handle.
    >
    >You'll need a third party program for this. But if you watch the boot up
    >screen(s) you can get 2 of your three questions answer'd. the third
    >question can be answered by googleing your bios number (also shown on
    >boot up). You can press the Pause\break key while booting to pause the
    >screen(s), enter to continue.

    btw...all the boot screen shows is
    COMPAC splash

    Starting MS-DOS...

    HIMEM is testing extended memory......done
    C:\

    first time I've seen a computer that doesn't show more
    Lookout, Jan 14, 2005
  8. Lookout

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Barry OGrady
    says...
    > On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 09:08:32 -0600, Lookout <> wrote:
    >
    > >We have a computer with DOS only installed and I've forgotten the
    > >command to see what CPU/MOBO/RAM is loaded. Trying to find out just
    > >what version of Windows it can handle.

    > There is no such command.

    Rubbish.

    MSD.exe up to DOS6.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton
    Conor, Jan 14, 2005
  9. Lookout

    Conor Guest

    In article <>, Lookout
    says...

    > btw...all the boot screen shows is
    > COMPAC splash
    >
    > Starting MS-DOS...
    >
    > HIMEM is testing extended memory......done
    > C:\
    >
    > first time I've seen a computer that doesn't show more

    Press f10 when the splash screen comes up, go into BIOS and there
    should be a menu entry that shows the system details. Compaqs are
    actually pretty good at this.

    --
    Conor

    -- George Patton