    permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.

    --
    Stephen Online©

    Stephen Online©, May 22, 2004

  2. Stephen Online©

    Techie Guest

    if by bugged version you mean no longer functioning then yes you can still
    install XP on top of itself but its not advised. Do a data backup and do a
    fresh install because in the end installing XP on top of itself will amount
    to the same thing. The fresh install will prevent any lingering issues from
    a older install from corrupting the new.

    --
    Techie
    MCNGP #21
    "Stephen Online©" <> wrote in message
    > With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade

    install'
    > i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98.

    Since
    > the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would often
    > solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.
    >
    > Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer

    even

    Techie, May 22, 2004

  3. Stephen Online©

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "Techie" <> wrote in message
    > if by bugged version you mean no longer functioning then yes you can still
    > install XP on top of itself but its not advised. Do a data backup and do a
    > fresh install because in the end installing XP on top of itself will

    amount
    > to the same thing. The fresh install will prevent any lingering issues

    from
    > a older install from corrupting the new.
    >
    > --
    > Techie
    > MCNGP #21
    > "Stephen Online©" <> wrote in message
    > > With Win98, one common 'solution' to file problems was an 'upgrade

    > install'
    > > i.e. one would 'upgrade' the current bugged install of Win98 to Win98.

    > Since
    > > the Win98 installer insists on its versions of files etc. this would

    often
    > > solve some issues. Of course one would have to re-patch.
    > >
    > > Now with WinXP is such an install ever recommended? Does the installer

    > even
    > > permit 'upgrading' WinXP to WinXP ?? Thanks.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Stephen Online©

    Sure it's not advised but I've done it a few times without any problems. Of
    course I had to point to all the existing programs again because they
    disappeared from the Add/Remove Programs list in CP, from the start menu and
    shortcut icons on the desktop. Other than that, it was fine and got rid of
    my problems. For future reference though, you should probably make 2 or 3
    partitions so you can keep your OS and apps seperate from your media and
    personal files.

    PlazticSoul, May 23, 2004
  4. Stephen Online©

    James Guest

    Or instead of doing that way, you can just do a repair, don't go into the
    repair console, but act like your going to install windows again, and it
    will detect the previous install and ask if you want to repair it, or just
    do a clean install, choose the repair, and all your add/remove programs etc
    will remain.

    James, May 31, 2004
  5. Stephen Online©

    PlazticSoul Guest

    "James" <> wrote in message
    > Or instead of doing that way, you can just do a repair, don't go into the
    > repair console, but act like your going to install windows again, and it
    > will detect the previous install and ask if you want to repair it, or just
    > do a clean install, choose the repair, and all your add/remove programs
    > etc
    > will remain.

    Interesting. I was aware of that option but am embarrassed to admit I never
    tried it, simply because I don't always trust Windows' ability to repair
    itself. LOL :)

    PlazticSoul, Jun 2, 2004