Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens is notgood

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RichA, Jun 7, 2010.

  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    RichA, Jun 7, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Jun 7, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:
    >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
    >
    >The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.
    >
    >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp



    You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.

    "Distortion is unusually high. At wideangle we measure 2.6% barrel
    distortion, which is complex in character with strong re-correction
    towards the corners (making it relatively difficult to correct in
    software when required). At longer focal lengths the distortion
    changes to the pincushion type, and reaches a whopping 2.4% at 35mm,
    which sets a new record for the strongest distortion of this type
    we've yet measured."


    Wavy line (or "moustache") distortion at the wide and? That's very
    bad news. 2.4% pincushion distortion at 35mm? Only cheap and nasty
    Cosina wide angle zooms approach this level of distortion. There is
    really no excuse for it.

    A camera is only as good as its lens(es). NEX will not be worth
    buying unless Sony offers better glass. *Much* better glass.
    Bruce, Jun 7, 2010
    #3
  4. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens isnot good

    On Jun 7, 1:36 pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > RichA  <> wrote:
    > >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >
    > Tested it yourself, did you?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer        
    >  


    Yes, I did. In fact, I was probably one of the only people in North
    America to have gotten shots through it before the crackdown. And
    guess what? The pre-production lens was the same optically as the
    production. They didn't change anything, they just panicked.
    RichA, Jun 8, 2010
    #4
  5. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens isnot good

    On Jun 7, 1:54 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >
    > >The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    > >can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.

    >
    > >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >
    > You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.  
    >
    > "Distortion is unusually high. At wideangle we measure 2.6% barrel
    > distortion, which is complex in character with strong re-correction
    > towards the corners (making it relatively difficult to correct in
    > software when required). At longer focal lengths the distortion
    > changes to the pincushion type, and reaches a whopping 2.4% at 35mm,
    > which sets a new record for the strongest distortion of this type
    > we've yet measured."
    >
    > Wavy line (or "moustache") distortion at the wide and?  That's very
    > bad news.  2.4% pincushion distortion at 35mm?  Only cheap and nasty
    > Cosina wide angle zooms approach this level of distortion.  There is
    > really no excuse for it.
    >
    > A camera is only as good as its lens(es).  NEX will not be worth
    > buying unless Sony offers better glass.  *Much* better glass.


    Distortion should be the LAST thing on anyone's mind. The real
    problem is terrible resolution and omnipresent CA.
    RichA, Jun 8, 2010
    #5
  6. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens isnot good

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jun 7, 1:36 pm, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> RichA  <> wrote:
    >> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >>
    >> Tested it yourself, did you?

    >
    >Yes, I did. In fact, I was probably one of the only people in North
    >America to have gotten shots through it before the crackdown.


    Where are your test results?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 8, 2010
    #6
  7. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Ray Fischer, Jun 8, 2010
    #7
  8. RichA

    Mark L Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On 08 Jun 2010 05:42:35 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:

    >Bruce <> wrote:
    >> RichA <>

    >
    >>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
    >>>
    >>>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >>>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.
    >>>
    >>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >>
    >>You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.

    >
    >Sony is an electronics company. Should anybody be surprised that
    >they're not good at optics?


    By that reasoning, Canon and Nikon are optics companies. Should anyone be
    surprised that they're not good at digital electronics?

    Go crawl back into your Troll-Hole, FOOL.
    Mark L, Jun 8, 2010
    #8
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Forget Dpreview's B.S., "diplomatic language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:48:08 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 7, 1:54 pm, Bruce <> wrote:
    >> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >>
    >> >The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >> >can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.

    >>
    >> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >>
    >> You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.  
    >>
    >> "Distortion is unusually high. At wideangle we measure 2.6% barrel
    >> distortion, which is complex in character with strong re-correction
    >> towards the corners (making it relatively difficult to correct in
    >> software when required). At longer focal lengths the distortion
    >> changes to the pincushion type, and reaches a whopping 2.4% at 35mm,
    >> which sets a new record for the strongest distortion of this type
    >> we've yet measured."
    >>
    >> Wavy line (or "moustache") distortion at the wide and?  That's very
    >> bad news.  2.4% pincushion distortion at 35mm?  Only cheap and nasty
    >> Cosina wide angle zooms approach this level of distortion.  There is
    >> really no excuse for it.
    >>
    >> A camera is only as good as its lens(es).  NEX will not be worth
    >> buying unless Sony offers better glass.  *Much* better glass.

    >
    >Distortion should be the LAST thing on anyone's mind.



    On the contrary, moustache distortion, especially of this degree of
    severity, is something that should cause you to run a mile. Unlike
    pure rectilinear distortion, it is not something that is easily
    corrected in post-processing.


    >The real problem is terrible resolution and omnipresent CA.



    The resolution and CA of the 18-55mm lens are both in the expected
    range for a cheap kit lens. The distortion is not.
    Bruce, Jun 8, 2010
    #9
  10. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 05:29:07 -0500, Mark L <>
    wrote:
    >On 08 Jun 2010 05:42:35 GMT, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Bruce <> wrote:
    >>> RichA <>

    >>
    >>>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
    >>>>
    >>>>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >>>>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.
    >>>>
    >>>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp
    >>>
    >>>You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.

    >>
    >>Sony is an electronics company. Should anybody be surprised that
    >>they're not good at optics?

    >
    >By that reasoning, Canon and Nikon are optics companies. Should anyone be
    >surprised that they're not good at digital electronics?
    >
    >Go crawl back into your Troll-Hole, FOOL.



    Poor Ray, he talks such nonsense. ;-)

    Whatever Ray may think about Sony, the company does make (or at least
    puts its name on) some excellent optics. The 16mm and 18-55mm for the
    NEX series just aren't among them, that's all.
    Bruce, Jun 8, 2010
    #10
  11. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    Mark L <> wrote:
    > (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >>Bruce <> wrote:
    >>> RichA <>


    >>>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
    >>>>
    >>>>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >>>>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.
    >>>>
    >>>>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp
    >>>
    >>>You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.

    >>
    >>Sony is an electronics company. Should anybody be surprised that
    >>they're not good at optics?

    >
    >By that reasoning, Canon and Nikon are optics companies. Should anyone be
    >surprised that they're not good at digital electronics?


    They've been doing electronics for how many decades?

    And how long has Sony been trying to get into the more specialized
    optics business?

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 8, 2010
    #11
  12. RichA

    RichA Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On Jun 8, 1:42 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    > Bruce  <> wrote:
    > > RichA <>
    > >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >
    > >>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    > >>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.

    >
    > >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >
    > >You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.  

    >
    > Sony is an electronics company.  Should anybody be surprised that
    > they're not good at optics?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Fischer        
    >  


    You are so f---- out to lunch it isn't funny. Do you know who made
    lots of $120,000 television camera lenses over the decades?
    RichA, Jun 8, 2010
    #12
  13. RichA

    Ray Fischer Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    RichA <> wrote:
    >On Jun 8, 1:42 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> Bruce  <> wrote:
    >> > RichA <>
    >> >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >>
    >> >>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >> >>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.

    >>
    >> >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >>
    >> >You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.  

    >>
    >> Sony is an electronics company.  Should anybody be surprised that
    >> they're not good at optics?

    >
    >You are so f---- out to lunch it isn't funny.


    That coming from a racist bigot who hates everything.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Jun 9, 2010
    #13
  14. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    Re: Forget Richs's B.S., "bigot language" NEX 16mm lens is not good

    On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:24:32 -0700 (PDT), RichA <>
    wrote:

    >On Jun 8, 1:42 am, (Ray Fischer) wrote:
    >> Bruce  <> wrote:
    >> > RichA <>
    >> >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp

    >>
    >> >>The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
    >> >>can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.

    >>
    >> >>http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp

    >>
    >> >You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.  

    >>
    >> Sony is an electronics company.  Should anybody be surprised that
    >> they're not good at optics?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ray Fischer        
    >>  

    >
    >You are so f---- out to lunch it isn't funny. Do you know who made
    >lots of $120,000 television camera lenses over the decades?



    Let's be a little more precise here. Sony have long been the masters
    of outsourcing, even by Japanese standards.

    All we know is that Sony has put its name on a large number of very
    high quality TV lenses.
    Bruce, Jun 9, 2010
    #14
  15. Re: Forget Rich....

    Ray Fischer wrote:

    > That coming from a racist bigot who hates everything.
    >


    Your little jibes at Rich and the anon. coward nym-shifter do nothing, but:

    Add noise.

    Ray will want to say such admonitions support pests, but, Ray, really,
    why don't you STFU in this regard?
    [no reply needed].
    --
    lsmft
    John McWilliams, Jun 9, 2010
    #15
  16. RichA

    Robert Coe Guest

    Re: Forget Rich....

    On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:06:25 -0700, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    : Ray Fischer wrote:
    :
    : > That coming from a racist bigot who hates everything.
    : >
    :
    : Your little jibes at Rich and the anon. coward nym-shifter do nothing, but:
    :
    : Add noise.
    :
    : Ray will want to say such admonitions support pests, but, Ray, really,
    : why don't you STFU in this regard?
    : [no reply needed].

    What I find amusing is that in lambasting Rich, George Kerby and Ray Fischer
    are on the same side!

    Bob
    Robert Coe, Jun 11, 2010
    #16
  17. Re: Forget Rich....

    Robert Coe wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:06:25 -0700, John McWilliams <> wrote:
    > : Ray Fischer wrote:
    > :
    > : > That coming from a racist bigot who hates everything.
    > : >
    > :
    > : Your little jibes at Rich and the anon. coward nym-shifter do nothing, but:
    > :
    > : Add noise.
    > :
    > : Ray will want to say such admonitions support pests, but, Ray, really,
    > : why don't you STFU in this regard?
    > : [no reply needed].
    >
    > What I find amusing is that in lambasting Rich, George Kerby and Ray Fischer
    > are on the same side!


    There's a lot more irony than that! They all don't like the anon pest,
    except it gives Ray another thread to spout off in.

    --

    Honi soit qui may y pense.....
    John McWilliams, Jun 13, 2010
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Paul Bartram

    Re: Can film scanners do 16mm?

    Paul Bartram, Sep 4, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    416
    Paul Bartram
    Sep 4, 2003
  2. RichA
    Replies:
    15
    Views:
    1,166
  3. Bruce

    Re: Sony NEX 5 telephoto lens SEL 18200

    Bruce, Sep 18, 2010, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,260
    Bruce
    Sep 18, 2010
  4. RichA
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    302
    RichA
    Dec 9, 2011
  5. MG

    Re: NEX-7 Dpreview, GLOSS over the noise!!

    MG, Dec 14, 2011, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    290
    android
    Dec 14, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page