Forgent Networks Sues 31 Companies for Patent Infringement

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by this old user, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. this old user, Apr 26, 2004

  2. >>Forgent Networks Sues 31 Companies for Patent Infringement
    Oh dear. Is this industry really going to be so stupid as to repeat the GIF
    fiasco all over again?

    Why has it taken the plaintiff so long to decide to do this? Am I being
    cynical to suppose they may deliberately have waited until the algorithms
    were so enshrined into software and hardware products that it would be
    difficult for manufacturers to remove them?

    I think it's high time that patent law was given a thorough shake-up. If
    anyone neglects to file action on a patent until after algorithms have
    become as widespread within the industry as JPEG has become, then the courts
    should rule that it's too late. The algorithms are already in the public
    domain. The JPEG code has been open source for years.

    Looking at the number of big guns in the defendants list, let's hope these
    people have bitten off more than they can chew and that the combined legal
    might that can be mustered by those big names will send them packing with
    their tails between their legs.

    What I found most interesting were the names missing from the list of
    defendants. Most notable by their absence were Microsoft. Have they done a
    deal or are they too big a fish to fry? I notice Olympus weren't there
    either. Luckily neither was I, but maybe they've not spotted PhotoMan yet
    ;)

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Apr 27, 2004