foreign language accent marks

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=, May 23, 2006.

  1. I've just installed spanish language keyboard. But I don't know how to find
    or use the accent marks. Anyone know how? Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=, May 23, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    hit the key to the right of the p key, the next letter key you hit will have
    the accent mark over it. é

    John Barnes, May 23, 2006

  3. Thanks, John.
    On behalf of the Spanish speaking community!
    We love accents, and funny letters like "ñ"
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 23, 2006
  4. Hi Carlos....

    How do I do the tilda?

    Ron

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=, May 23, 2006
  5. Thank you....that gives me one of the marks....do you know how I do a tilda ~
    over a vowel?

    =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=, May 23, 2006
  6. Type "accent marks" in MS Word Help and you get all of the keyboard shortcuts
    for using a number of different accent marks.
    --
    Stumpy

    =?Utf-8?B?U3R1bXB5?=, May 23, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    The key to the right of the L Ñ

    John Barnes, May 23, 2006
  8. There once was a freeware 'visible keyboard' that reacted to the keyboard
    layout applet in the system tray - anyone know if it is still out there?

    You often see it or it's cousin in Linux, so I assume someone must be
    maintaining it.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 23, 2006
  9. Also the good old "charmap" program can be quite useful here.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 23, 2006
  10. Ron:
    The "tilde" is not used in Spanish for vowels.
    It works only with the "n" for making the "ñ".
    The other tricky one is for typing "ü" as in the Spanish word "ungüento"
    (ointment).
    First type the ¨ and afterwards the letter "u"
    When I need the "tilde" I just do Alt 126
    Using the windows app charmap (Start, Run, charmap <ENTER>) gives you also
    to many keyboards shortcuts.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, May 23, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    windyhil Guest

    I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key doesn't do
    anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate. Help!
    Windy

    windyhil, Jun 10, 2010
  12. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Bo Persson Guest

    windyhil wrote:
    > I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key
    > doesn't do anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate.
    > Help!
    > Windy

    It also depends on yor language and keyboard settings. On my keyboard
    the accents are to the left of the backspace key. Several keys away
    from the p key.

    Bo Persson

    Bo Persson, Jun 11, 2010
  13. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:19:17 -0700, windyhil
    <> wrote:

    >I'm using an old version of Word & the key next to the p key doesn't do
    >anything for adding the accent mark over the e in pate. Help!
    >Windy

    I believe that John Barnes, Carlos, and rmsommer were using Windows
    keyboard layouts other than the standard "United States" layout. I use
    the "US-International" layout as my default keyboard layout, and I have
    no problems with accented letters:

    To get this word I type this
    ---------------- -----------
    paté p a t ' e
    mañana m a ~ n a n a
    führer f " u h r e r
    it's i t ' space s

    Additionally, on that same Windows layout (US-International), certain
    non-accent characters are available by using the AltGr key (which is the
    Alt key on the right if it is not explicitly labelled AltGr):

    To get this word I type this
    ---------------- -----------
    straße s t r a AltGr+s e
    Ångstrom AltGr+W n g s t r o m
    encyclopædia e n c y c l o p AltGr+z d i a

    (The above examples are not exhaustive, for either accents or non-accent
    foreign characters.)

    I have had no problems using these in Word; however, there is the
    possibility of a problem with the AltGr key, as it happens to be
    equivalent to Ctrl+Alt - so a Word command that is invoked with
    Ctrl+Alt+<some key> may get invoked instead if you use the AltGr key to
    get a non-English character.

    Different layouts, such as the French or Spanish layouts, will have
    different arrangements of accents and characters, so choose your layout
    based on your needs and comfort. The French layout, for example,
    conforms to the French standard AZERTY keyboard layout.

    Jeff Zeitlin, Jun 11, 2010
  14. Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
    remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
    in the fonts you use.

    The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
    keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 12, 2010
  15. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <>
    wrote:

    >Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
    >remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
    >in the fonts you use.
    >
    >The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
    >keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

    This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    the Alt-numeric codes.

    Jeff Zeitlin, Jun 12, 2010
  16. "Jeff Zeitlin" <> wrote in message

    > This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    > laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    > like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    > the Alt-numeric codes.

    Then you can start the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which does have a
    numeric keypad. ; )

    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, Jun 12, 2010
  17. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 16:29:05 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jeff Zeitlin" <> wrote in message

    >> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    >> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    >> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    >> the Alt-numeric codes.

    >Then you can start the On Screen Keyboard (osk.exe) which does have a
    >numeric keypad. ; )

    .... and just out of curiosity, I tried it - nope. Doesn't work. You
    need a real numeric pad, distinguishable from the typewriter-pad numeric
    keys, to be able to use the Alt-0nnn codes.

    Jeff Zeitlin, Jun 13, 2010
  18. The on-screen numeric pad would be fine, but you have to hold down the
    Alt key while you key the numbers and that can't be done with the
    on-screen keyboard.

    Dominic Payer, Jun 13, 2010
  19. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Jeff Layman Guest

    > On Sat, 12 Jun 2010 08:13:49 +0100, Dominic Payer <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Find Character Map in your Windows Accessories/Tools menu and note and
    >>remember the Alt+numeric sequence for the accented characters you need
    >>in the fonts you use.
    >>
    >>The numbers in the sequences must be entered on the right hand numeric
    >>keypad not the numeric keys above the keyboard letters.

    > This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    > laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    > like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    > the Alt-numeric codes.

    So page 60 here:
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/OM/8600/i8600-om.pdf
    does not work, even though you have an Inspiron?

    --

    Jeff

    Jeff Layman, Jun 13, 2010
  20. =?Utf-8?B?cm1zb21tZXI=?=

    Jeff Zeitlin Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jun 2010 18:25:37 +0100, "Jeff Layman"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jeff Zeitlin" <> wrote in message

    >> This is not going to always be possible - for example, my Dell Inspiron
    >> laptop does not have a numeric keypad, not even via the special Fn key
    >> like my previous Toshiba did. I therefore cannot enter characters using
    >> the Alt-numeric codes.

    >So page 60 here:
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins8500/en/8500/OM/8600/i8600-om.pdf
    >does not work, even though you have an Inspiron?

    No. I have an Inspiron 1545, not an 8600. The 1545 /does not have a
    numeric pad/. Period. Unless I can purchase an add-on, which I have no
    interest in doing.

    I prefer to use the US-International keyboard layout to access accented
    characters.

    Jeff Zeitlin, Jun 14, 2010