Forcing Irfanview to be my TWAIN source (how)?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by CCN, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. CCN

    CCN Guest

    Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to WinXP?

    I start Irfanview on Windows XP & press File --> Select TWAIN Source,
    but the results are totally empty (ie there are no TWAIN sources
    defined).

    When I look up the IrfanView Help on TWAIN, it says (unhelpfully):
    "Click on the File menu, then Select TWAIN Source.
    "Allows you to choose from the scanners or any other TWAIN
    compatible device (digital camera, TV card, etc.) installed
    on your computer (if more than one is available)."

    OK. But how do I get a TWAIN source in that dialog box in the first
    place?

    I never even heard the word TWAIN before so I go to www.twain.org and
    now I see it's a standard all scanners should abide by (my scanner is
    an HP OfficeJet Printer but every time I installed the OJ software my
    computer crashed so I just use generic printer drivers for the past
    couple of years and the printing to this printer works just fine).

    I search google for TWAIN and I'm absolutely inundated with URLs.
    Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to Irfanview?
    All I want to do is launch IrfanView and then scan in a picture from
    there.

    I'm sorry if this is a dumb question (you can ignore this if it is too
    dumb).
    If you know of the best URL to go for this, please just post the URL.
    If you have a howto for adding a TWAIN source to Irfanview, that would
    be best!
    thanks,
    CCN

    CCN, Jun 26, 2005

  2. CCN

    CCN Guest

    CCN wrote:
    > Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to WinXP?
    >
    > I start Irfanview on Windows XP & press File --> Select TWAIN Source,
    > but the results are totally empty (ie there are no TWAIN sources
    > defined).

    OK. Digging a bit more in the www.twain.org site, I find in the FAQ:
    http://www.twain.org/faq.htm

    Question: Where do I get updated scanner drivers for Windows XP?
    Answer: You need to get the driver for your device from the scanner
    vendor.
    Normally scanner vendors make drivers available at their web
    sites.

    So, I guess one needs to add a "TWAIN Driver" from http://www.hp.com
    and then that HP d145xi TWAIN Source will show up in Irfanview?

    Is this the correct approach?

    CCN

    CCN, Jun 26, 2005

  3. CCN

    CCN Guest

    > So, I guess one needs to add a "TWAIN Driver" from http://www.hp.com
    > and then that HP d145xi TWAIN Source will show up in Irfanview?
    >
    > Is this the correct approach?

    Bummer.
    I go to the HP web site searching for the HP d145 to find drivers at:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4992&lang=en&y=0&cc=us&softwareitem=oj-2520-3

    Guess what?
    The drivers on my two-year old HP CDROM (version 3.22) are NEWER than
    those at the HP web site (version 3.20)! Sheeesh. You'd think HP would
    update their drivers once every few years.

    Since both my original HP CDROM drivers (version 3.20) crashed the
    Windows XP computer and the newer HP CDROM drivers mailed to me two
    years ago by HP (version 3.22) also crashed the computer, I don't think
    this approach of obtaining the drivers from HP are panning out.

    Does anyone know another way to install a TWAIN driver for an HP
    OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax so that Irfanview will
    show it as a TWAIN Source?

    CCN

    CCN, Jun 26, 2005
  4. CCN

    CCN Guest

    CCN wrote:
    > Does anyone know another way to install a TWAIN driver for an HP
    > OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax so that Irfanview will
    > show it as a TWAIN Source in Windows XP?

    I guess I have two fundamental choices.
    1. Find just the TWAIN driver on the 60 Mbyte HP driver CDROM & install
    it.
    2. Find a generic TWAIN driver (if that exists) somewhere on the
    Internet

    Exploring the "EuroA" HP OfficeJet D-Series Customer Support CDROM, I
    find:
    - hpodrs07_ds_SharedTwain_xp_al_68 G:\Setup\files.cab 180 KB
    9/26/2002
    - hpodsr07_ini_SharedTwain_xp_all_162 G:\Setup\files.cab 1 KB
    1/20/2001

    Hmmmmmmmmm... I wonder if I can install JUST the TWAIN driver.
    So I doubleclick on the 180 KiloByte DS file in the cabinet & extract.
    This creates a 180 KB binary file:
    c:\temp\hpodsr07_ds_SharedTwain_xp_all_68 (with no file extension).
    I check its properties by right clicking in WinXP and it says:
    Description = TWAIN Data Source Redirector
    Company = Hewlett-Packard Co.
    File Version = 2.0.0.0
    Internal Name = HPODSR07
    Original File name = HPODSR07.DS
    Product Family = hp officejet d series
    VersionDate = September 26, 2002

    So, I rename this file with a *.ds extension (whatever that is).

    Moving to the next file, I extract the 1 KB INI file.
    At least this is a text file.
    Here are the contents:
    [Indirection]
    Directory=

    [TWAIN Identity]
    DataSource=hpodss07.dll
    DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry
    VersionMajorNum=1
    VersionMinorNum=0
    VersionLanguage=13 ; English (U.S.)
    VersionCountry=1 ; USA
    VersionInfo=Sept 14, 1999
    ProtocolMajor=1
    ProtocolMinor=7
    Manufacturer=Hewlett-Packard Company
    ProductFamily=All-In-One
    SupportedGroups=3
    DeviceIDEntryPoint=SetDeviceID
    ProductName=
    DeviceID=

    Hmmmmm...
    Do you think I can manually install TWAIN?
    Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    a) Add the "ini" extension to the 1 KB ASCII text INI file
    b) Add the "ds" extension to the 180 KB binary file
    c) Modify the ASCII file to point to the binary file (???)
    d) Then, somehow INSTALL via that Ini file (but how)???

    Note: Right clicking on the INI file does not show any "install"
    option.

    QUESTION: Does this approach seem reasonable?
    Or, is there a much better way to install a generic TWAIN
    driver?

    CNN

    CCN, Jun 26, 2005
  5. CCN

    CCN Guest

    > [Indirection]
    > Directory=
    >
    > [TWAIN Identity]
    > DataSource=hpodss07.dll
    > DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry

    > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    Actually, I realize now that DS stands for DATA SOURCE.
    So I change the 180KB file name to "hpodss07.dll"

    Now I need to figure out how to manually install an INI file.
    I wish I could just rightclick on the ini file and select "install" but
    that doesn't seem to be in the option list. When I right click, I can
    only "open" which brings the INI file up in Notepad. Likewise when I
    doubleclick on the ini file.

    Does anyone know how to manually install an INI file?

    CCN

    CCN, Jun 26, 2005
  6. CCN

    Ron Hunter Guest

    CCN wrote:
    > CCN wrote:
    >
    >>Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to WinXP?
    >>
    >>I start Irfanview on Windows XP & press File --> Select TWAIN Source,
    >>but the results are totally empty (ie there are no TWAIN sources
    >>defined).

    > OK. Digging a bit more in the www.twain.org site, I find in the FAQ:
    > http://www.twain.org/faq.htm
    >
    > Question: Where do I get updated scanner drivers for Windows XP?
    > Answer: You need to get the driver for your device from the scanner
    > vendor.
    > Normally scanner vendors make drivers available at their web
    > sites.
    >
    > So, I guess one needs to add a "TWAIN Driver" from http://www.hp.com
    > and then that HP d145xi TWAIN Source will show up in Irfanview?
    >
    > Is this the correct approach?
    >
    > CCN

    Yes. My HP printer/scanner shows in the dialog box as a TWAIN device,
    as does my camera driver (although I wouldn't use that). HP should have
    a funtional driver for XP. If not, complain loudly!

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jun 26, 2005
  7. CCN

    Ron Hunter Guest

    CCN wrote:
    >>So, I guess one needs to add a "TWAIN Driver" from http://www.hp.com
    >>and then that HP d145xi TWAIN Source will show up in Irfanview?
    >>
    >>Is this the correct approach?

    > Bummer.
    > I go to the HP web site searching for the HP d145 to find drivers at:
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...4992&lang=en&y=0&cc=us&softwareitem=oj-2520-3
    >
    > Guess what?
    > The drivers on my two-year old HP CDROM (version 3.22) are NEWER than
    > those at the HP web site (version 3.20)! Sheeesh. You'd think HP would
    > update their drivers once every few years.
    >
    > Since both my original HP CDROM drivers (version 3.20) crashed the
    > Windows XP computer and the newer HP CDROM drivers mailed to me two
    > years ago by HP (version 3.22) also crashed the computer, I don't think
    > this approach of obtaining the drivers from HP are panning out.
    >
    > Does anyone know another way to install a TWAIN driver for an HP
    > OfficeJet d145 all-in-one printer/scanner/fax so that Irfanview will
    > show it as a TWAIN Source?
    >
    > CCN

    Some suggestions for driver installation:
    Disable antivirus and firewall programs (unplug from internet first).
    Then reboot, and try installation.

    If that doesn't work, reboot to 'safe mode', and retry installation.

    Check Microsoft and HP knowledge bases for other suggestions if the
    above doesn't work.

    Good luck.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, Jun 26, 2005
  8. CCN

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    Slow down. You're going about it entirely the wrong way, 180 off. You
    do NOT do anything special. The twain driver is just your ordinary
    scanner driver, the one which you use to preview and scan with.

    The normal scanner installation installs it. You cannot "rename" any
    file to .ds to create it (any more than you can create a picture of
    your dog by renaming some file to JPG). Just use your scanners regular
    install procedure to do the regular scanner install. It is an entirely
    automatic procedure.

    The twain driver file is named nameofyourscanner.ds, and it will appear
    in the folder at \windows\twain_32\. Irfanview and other programs
    will show a list of whatever is there in their Select Twain Source
    interface. You cannot add it, you need to discover why the normal
    install is not adding it.

    Your only hope is to follow the instructions to do the conventional
    scanner install.

    --
    Wayne
    http://www.scantips.com "A few scanning tips"

    Wayne, Jun 26, 2005
  9. CCN

    Stubby Guest

    Wayne wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >

    >>Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    > Slow down. You're going about it entirely the wrong way, 180 off. You
    > do NOT do anything special. The twain driver is just your ordinary
    > scanner driver, the one which you use to preview and scan with.
    >
    > The normal scanner installation installs it. You cannot "rename" any
    > file to .ds to create it (any more than you can create a picture of
    > your dog by renaming some file to JPG). Just use your scanners regular
    > install procedure to do the regular scanner install. It is an entirely
    > automatic procedure.
    >
    > The twain driver file is named nameofyourscanner.ds, and it will appear
    > in the folder at \windows\twain_32\. Irfanview and other programs
    > will show a list of whatever is there in their Select Twain Source
    > interface. You cannot add it, you need to discover why the normal
    > install is not adding it.
    >
    > Your only hope is to follow the instructions to do the conventional
    > scanner install.

    Good info and thanks!
    I've used IrfanView for years and prefer it to everything else out
    there. GF has a scanner but I don't think she knows that IrfanView
    interfaces to it. Thanks for your post.

    Stubby, Jun 26, 2005
  10. CCN

    Frank ess Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:
    > CCN wrote:
    >> CCN wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to
    >>> WinXP?
    >>>
    >>> I start Irfanview on Windows XP & press File --> Select TWAIN
    >>> Source, but the results are totally empty (ie there are no TWAIN
    >>> sources defined).

    >> OK. Digging a bit more in the www.twain.org site, I find in the
    >> FAQ:
    >> http://www.twain.org/faq.htm
    >>
    >> Question: Where do I get updated scanner drivers for Windows XP?
    >> Answer: You need to get the driver for your device from the
    >> scanner
    >> vendor.
    >> Normally scanner vendors make drivers available at their
    >> web sites.
    >>
    >> So, I guess one needs to add a "TWAIN Driver" from
    >> http://www.hp.com
    >> and then that HP d145xi TWAIN Source will show up in Irfanview?
    >>
    >> Is this the correct approach?
    >>
    >> CCN
    >>

    > Yes. My HP printer/scanner shows in the dialog box as a TWAIN
    > device,
    > as does my camera driver (although I wouldn't use that). HP should
    > have a funtional driver for XP. If not, complain loudly!

    Can it be that long ago that I moved my HP PhotoSmart scanner from a
    Win98 to an XP machine?

    HP didn't have a driver for it. I looked at the HP support groups and
    the wisdom was use a Win2000 driver. I did and it has worked fine ever
    since. Seems to me a couple years down the road HP relabled the
    download to call it an XP driver, but the size was the same.

    Win2000 driver worked for me.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jun 26, 2005
  11. CCN

    Wayne Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    >Good info and thanks!
    >I've used IrfanView for years and prefer it to everything else out
    >there. GF has a scanner but I don't think she knows that IrfanView
    >interfaces to it. Thanks for your post.

    I have no clue, but (assuming Windows XP) if the .ds file is present, but
    Irfanview is not seeing it, then try logging on to XP as Administrator,
    maybe it is seen then. Such problems occur in XP.

    Wayne, Jun 26, 2005
  12. CCN

    Marky Guest

    "CCN" <> wrote in message
    > > [Indirection]
    > > Directory=
    > >
    > > [TWAIN Identity]
    > > DataSource=hpodss07.dll
    > > DSEntryPoint=DS_Entry

    > > Here is my first-pass guess at a manual TWAIN installation procedure?

    > Actually, I realize now that DS stands for DATA SOURCE.
    > So I change the 180KB file name to "hpodss07.dll"
    >
    > Now I need to figure out how to manually install an INI file.
    > I wish I could just rightclick on the ini file and select "install" but
    > that doesn't seem to be in the option list. When I right click, I can
    > only "open" which brings the INI file up in Notepad. Likewise when I
    > doubleclick on the ini file.
    >
    > Does anyone know how to manually install an INI file?
    >
    > CCN

    If you have the file in it's original form (this usually gets installed
    automatically) you may be able to paste it into the system32 folder...but it
    is not recommended.

    The driver installation should put things where they belong and if it does
    not then it simply won't work. On XP it is possible that the .ds file, if
    installed by the driver in the twain32 folder (you should only see two
    things there unless you have other TWAIN device drivers installed) is not
    the default source and this is probably the biggese roadblock in
    scanner/camera installations.

    The default source setting means that this device is automatcally accessed
    when doing an image acquisition and if the device you are using is not set
    as the default source then it will give you TWAIN errors. Depending on the
    TWAIN error you can sometimes nail it down to what is happening.

    XP is also notorious for having incorrect Permission settings and most TWAIN
    devices need ADMIN level access to work (at least with Epson devices).

    So, having said all that, if you have tried to install a driver there are
    two places it should show up...the Device Manager as an Imaging Device and
    in your Registry under the HKEY_CURRENT_USER (also under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
    with Permission set to Allow full control and read access.

    If the device does not show up in the device manager as what it is (HP
    ScanJet or other) then you may have connectivity issues. If it does show up
    but as an other or unknown device then your driver is not installed
    correctly. If you have installed some XP driver for your device then try
    updating the driver from the Device Manager.

    Guess it boils down to what shows up in the Devman and whether you have
    actually installed an XP VERSION (WIN2k drivers may also work) of the
    driver.

    Marky, Jun 27, 2005
  13. CCN

    Jay Guest

    CCN wrote:

    > Is there a good URL which shows how to add a TWAIN source to WinXP?

    A TWAIN source is specific to a particular device make and model.

    For example, when I bought a scanner, its software installation procedure
    included adding the TWAIN source for that specific device.

    Jay, Jun 27, 2005
  14. I installed a UMAX 3400 scanner recently, and the user interface looks exactly
    like the Scanner & Camera wizard from Control Panel. I tried to install the
    VistaScan software against specific instructions not to, so I could get an
    interface I enjoy in previous versions of Windows, but the Scanner could not be
    located by the computer. So, from what I read on the internet is that I have to
    scan using the Wizard like interface which won't let me signifcantly magnify the
    Preview area prior to doing a real scan. I then have to do cropping in another
    program like Irfanview. I'm not much of a fan of this Wizard interface at all!
    But it looks like there is no way around this Wizard, dammit.

    Cymbal Man Freq., Jul 1, 2005