    only 4x. Is there a way of forcing Nero to display all the speeds and not
    just those that the media is rated at? If i destroy the dvd that's ok i just
    want to give it a shot if possible at all.
    asdf, Jul 28, 2004

  2. asdf

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 01:13:34 GMT, "asdf" <> wrote:

    >have NEC DVD burner which is capable of burning at 8x. However my media is
    >only 4x. Is there a way of forcing Nero to display all the speeds and not
    >just those that the media is rated at? If i destroy the dvd that's ok i just
    >want to give it a shot if possible at all.

    AFAIK Nero only burns up to the disc's max rating so if the disc is
    rated at 4x, it'll burn only up to 4x.

    What's your hurry anyway? Grab a cup of coffee and take a short
    break.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Jul 28, 2004

  3. asdf

    Biz Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in message
    > have NEC DVD burner which is capable of burning at 8x. However my media is
    > only 4x. Is there a way of forcing Nero to display all the speeds and not
    > just those that the media is rated at? If i destroy the dvd that's ok i

    just
    > want to give it a shot if possible at all.

    Please do some reading about writing strategies for DVD and how it relates
    to burning speed and media reliability. One answer is it wont happen
    without hacked firmware.
    Biz, Jul 28, 2004
  4. asdf

    Dan G Guest

    Nero only reads what the drive is offering for speed. Your media is not
    supported at 8x in your current firmware version.

    Dan G, Jul 28, 2004
  5. asdf

    Deano Plenty Guest

    Use an older version (from 2003) of CopytoDvd and set write speed to max
    under options. It will write at the maximum speed of your cd/dvd writer not
    the maximum speed of the dvd+/-r blanks.

    Deano Plenty, Jul 28, 2004
  6. asdf

    Impmon Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:29:30 -0400, "Deano Plenty"
    <PlentyFull@GoodNPlenty> wrote:

    >Use an older version (from 2003) of CopytoDvd and set write speed to max
    >under options. It will write at the maximum speed of your cd/dvd writer not
    >the maximum speed of the dvd+/-r blanks.

    Even that is not recommended. There's a reason some DVD has speed
    limit. Write it too fast and chemical in the layer may not react
    properly and you end up with badly burned DVD or even worse.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net
    Impmon, Jul 28, 2004
  7. asdf

    Larc Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 17:26:34 -0400, Impmon <> wrote:

    | On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 14:29:30 -0400, "Deano Plenty"
    | <PlentyFull@GoodNPlenty> wrote:
    |
    | >Use an older version (from 2003) of CopytoDvd and set write speed to max
    | >under options. It will write at the maximum speed of your cd/dvd writer not
    | >the maximum speed of the dvd+/-r blanks.
    |
    | Even that is not recommended. There's a reason some DVD has speed
    | limit. Write it too fast and chemical in the layer may not react
    | properly and you end up with badly burned DVD or even worse.

    Some 4x DVD+Rs will burn at 8x very nicely if the burner is 8x capable
    and its BIOS can be "fooled" into seeing them as 8x. I was able to
    hack the firmware for my Lite-On burner to see some 4x RICOHJPN discs
    as 8x. Testing has shown the result is actually better when they are
    burned at the higher speed. This isn't true for all brands and
    series, however. Also, some burners can handle certain discs better
    than other burners.

    Highest burning speed determination is normally a function of the
    burner, not a burning program such as Nero. But a burning program
    will often burn at a lower speed if it has problems with the indicated
    top speed.

    Larc

    Larc, Jul 29, 2004
  8. asdf

    News Reader Guest

    "asdf" <> wrote in message
    > have NEC DVD burner which is capable of burning at 8x. However my media is
    > only 4x. Is there a way of forcing Nero to display all the speeds and not
    > just those that the media is rated at? If i destroy the dvd that's ok i
    > just
    > want to give it a shot if possible at all.

    My NEC 2510A burns very nicely at 8x on 4x DVD media. I have burned 25+ in
    the last week without a single coaster. Freinds have tested the quality of
    the media form me and have reported no problems viewing in their DVD
    players.

    Here is a link which should be of use http://www.herrie.org/

    Also check out the cdfreaks NEC forum

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86

    Enjoy!
    News Reader, Jul 29, 2004
  9. asdf

    asdf Guest

    so, you upgraded firmware? or did you use different software other than
    nero? I'm not sure what to look for on those two links you've provided me
    with. Thank you very much though for your help.

    Paul

    asdf, Jul 30, 2004
  10. asdf

    asdf Guest

    I'm sorry just did a bit more reading on the website.
    Is the following by any chance what you've been pointing me too:
    If yes, than which of the firmware patches have you used. My current
    firmware is 2.16

    Thank you very much
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=87413
    Herries' patched firmwares discussions/descriptions

    1.07 v2 beta6
    This firmware is based on the official NEC 2510 2.15 firmware.
    It includes RPC1, riplock removal, 2100@2500, no bitsetting, DL burning
    support, and no speeded up media (does not allow you to burn many 4X
    certified discs at 8X).

    1.07 v2 beta5 (Highly recommended!)
    This firmware is based on the HP 520i 2.21 firmware.
    It includes RPC1, riplock removal, 2100@2500, bitsetting, DL burning
    support, and speeded up media. (allows you to burn many 4X certified discs
    at 8X)

    1.07 v2 beta4
    This firmware is based on the HP 420i 1.27 firmware.
    It includes RPC1, riplock removal, 2100@2500, bitsetting, no DL burning
    support and speeded up media.

    **Note** Liggy has posted supported media lists for each firmware! If you'd
    like to check if a specific media type is included in a specific firmware,
    look HERE.

    **Note2** If you're using Nero 6.X, make sure to upgrade to 6.3.1.15 or
    newer to avoid buffer underrun problems with the DL firmwares!

    asdf, Jul 30, 2004
  11. I have hundreds of dvd-r's of films/tvseries not on dvd. Send trade list.
    John339077353, Jul 31, 2004