    to be able to just force a dismount, but i'm not really sure how to do
    that, either.

    any ideas? thanks :)
    yawnmoth, Oct 20, 2004

  2. yawnmoth

    HF Guest

    Whilst USB hotplugs why not just switch off to remove it.
    HF, Oct 20, 2004

  3. yawnmoth

    Thor Guest

    As long as write caching is disabled (as it normally is disabled by default
    for removable devices), and you know that there no drive access activity
    occurring, then just unplug the USB cable. I always try to stop the device
    first with the normal procedure, but when you get that message, (and it
    happens alot it seems) despite knowing that there is nothing going on at the
    time, you can just unplug the USB cable. I have found that sometimes it
    helps to wait a minute or two after your last activity involving the
    removable device before trying to stop it via the "safely remove hardware"
    option. Sometimes it takes windowsXP a bit to acknowledge that nothing is
    happening on that drive.

    Thor, Oct 20, 2004