    32Bit apps? It says that this can be edited in the BOOT.INI. I ran MCONFIG
    and tried to locate the entry but nothing could be found. I would be grateful
    for any advice.

    =?Utf-8?B?RWR3YXJkUw==?=, Aug 29, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RWR3YXJkUw==?=

    Rick Guest

    You get exactly the same results in XP Pro or Home. This is a feature
    of the Athlon 64 CPU, and maybe in the Intel EM64T. It is not related
    to running all 32-bit programs. It is a feature of the CPU to prevent
    certain programs from executing that could be hazardous to the OS. This
    feature was first noted when SP2 came out last year because SP2 was the
    first time Microsoft implemented this feature in the OS.

    Rick, Aug 29, 2005

  3. EdwardS wrote:

    >When you get a chance run NETSH DIAG GUI and take note of the
    >"DataExecutionPrevention_32BitApplications = TRUE" line under the OS
    >section.
    >Does anyone know how to manipulate this in order to ATTEMPT the forcing of
    >32Bit apps? It says that this can be edited in the BOOT.INI. I ran MCONFIG
    >and tried to locate the entry but nothing could be found. I would be
    >grateful
    >for any advice.

    You can exempt individual applications from DEP via System properties
    (under Advanced > Performance Settings > Data Execution Protection tab).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Aug 29, 2005