Force Google to update cache?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nsagio, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. Nsagio

    Nsagio Guest

    I have a "private" Website that was intended to be seen less than a dozen
    people. It somehow got indexed by Google ... I guess by somebody using the
    Google toolbar when they browsed it.

    I really don't mind it being on Google, except that the cached version has
    personal information which I would prefer not be public. It's not a huge
    deal, but I do want the info removed. I originally discovered that this
    had happened four months ago. When I did, I took the site down completely,
    but Google never removed the site from its index or cache. So, after two
    months, I put the site back up, this time modified so that the personal
    info was gone, but after two more months, Google's cache still has not
    updated.

    Is there some way I can force Google's bots to update their cache? Google
    doesn't seem to be crawling my site at all.

    I know I can send a request for Google to completely remove the site from
    their cache, but I actually want the site to (officially) be public in the
    near future, and having it cached (without the personal info) would be to
    my advantage.

    Nsagio, Sep 5, 2004

  2. Nsagio

    Dan Guest

    In article <Xns955BA43F4EEFDmensagio@216.196.97.131>, Nsagio says...

    http://www.google.com/remove.html#uncache

    > I know I can send a request for Google to completely remove the site from
    > their cache, but I actually want the site to (officially) be public in the
    > near future, and having it cached (without the personal info) would be to
    > my advantage.

    You could follow the directions at the URL above, then just remove the
    meta tag when you want your site to be cached again.

    --
    Dan Ruscoe

    Dan, Sep 5, 2004

  3. Nsagio

    Whatevah Guest

    heh... I STFW and found http://www.google.com/remove.html

    --
    Whatevah / Jerry Horn
    Jerry {at} Whatevah.com (working address)

    Whatevah, Sep 5, 2004
  4. Nsagio

    Dan Guest

    In article <>, Dan
    says...
    > In article <Xns955BA43F4EEFDmensagio@216.196.97.131>, Nsagio says...
    > > I have a "private" Website that was intended to be seen less than a dozen
    > > people. It somehow got indexed by Google ... I guess by somebody using the
    > > Google toolbar when they browsed it.

    > > Is there some way I can force Google's bots to update their cache? Google
    > > doesn't seem to be crawling my site at all.

    > http://www.google.com/remove.html#uncache

    Forgot to mention that, in addition to adding the appropriate META tag,
    you'll also have to send a request through their automatic URL removal
    system to do this right away.

    Contrary to what's implied by the name, sending in a request will only
    remove your URL if you have added either the noindex META tag or used
    robots.txt.

    If you just add the noarchive tag, only the cache will be removed from
    Google's index.

    --
    Dan Ruscoe

    Dan, Sep 5, 2004
  5. Nsagio

    Nsagio Guest

    Dan <> wrote in

    Whatevah <> wrote in news::

    > heh... I STFW and found http://www.google.com/remove.html

    I'm not asking how to delete my pages from Google's cache, but rather how
    to force Google to *update* my pages in its cache.

    Nsagio, Sep 5, 2004
  6. Nsagio

    DC Guest

    Nsagio wrote:

    [...]

    > I'm not asking how to delete my pages from Google's cache, but rather how
    > to force Google to *update* my pages in its cache.

    I use this on my site. Seems to have the desired effect.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows.

    DC, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Nsagio

    Dan Guest

    In article <Xns955BB58EB414Dmensagio@216.196.97.131>, Nsagio says...

    > Whatevah <> wrote in news::
    > >
    > > heh... I STFW and found http://www.google.com/remove.html

    > I'm not asking how to delete my pages from Google's cache, but rather how
    > to force Google to *update* my pages in its cache.

    AFAIK you can't. If you follow the directions in my posts you'll be able
    to remove the current cache then wait for Google to add the new one.

    Would that not solve your problem?

    --
    Dan Ruscoe

    Dan, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Nsagio

    T.J. Guest

    "Nsagio" <> wrote in message news:Xns955BB58EB414Dmensagio@216.196.97.131...
    > Dan <> wrote in
    >

    > > If you just add the noarchive tag, only the cache will be removed from
    > > Google's index.
    > >

    > Whatevah <> wrote in news::
    >

    > > heh... I STFW and found http://www.google.com/remove.html
    > >

    > I'm not asking how to delete my pages from Google's cache, but rather how
    > to force Google to *update* my pages in its cache.

    Try pointing a few links at your new version from
    high PR pages, hopefully Google will then update the cache.

    T.J., Sep 6, 2004