    side.

    Do you play the widescreen version with the "widescreen" label facing up
    or down in the dvd player? I tried it both ways.

    JME, Jun 9, 2005

  2. JME

    Joe Kaffe Guest

    "JME" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have Forbidden Planet dvd in the snapper case. It has 2 sides. One
    > says "widescreen" and one says "standard" but when I play it, both sides
    > appear to be identical. No extra picture width on the "widescreen"
    > side.
    >
    > Do you play the widescreen version with the "widescreen" label facing up
    > or down in the dvd player? I tried it both ways.

    Place the disc in the tray. What you can read is what will play. Sometimes
    the "intro" to a WS movie is displayed in standard mode, but the actual
    movie will be WS. I have watched this movie in WS on DVD, so at least the
    disc I watched was properly pressed.

    Joe Kaffe, Jun 9, 2005

  3. JME

    JME Guest

    "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message

    > "JME" <> wrote in message
    >> I have Forbidden Planet dvd in the snapper case. It has 2 sides.
    >> One
    >> says "widescreen" and one says "standard" but when I play it, both
    >> sides
    >> appear to be identical. No extra picture width on the "widescreen"
    >> side.
    >>
    >> Do you play the widescreen version with the "widescreen" label facing
    >> up
    >> or down in the dvd player? I tried it both ways.

    > Place the disc in the tray. What you can read is what will play.
    > Sometimes
    > the "intro" to a WS movie is displayed in standard mode, but the
    > actual
    > movie will be WS. I have watched this movie in WS on DVD, so at least
    > the
    > disc I watched was properly pressed.

    No matter which side I play it's the full screen version.

    JME, Jun 10, 2005
  4. JME

    Billy Joe Guest

    JME wrote:
    > "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JME" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have Forbidden Planet dvd in the snapper case. It has 2
    >>> sides.
    >>> One
    >>> says "widescreen" and one says "standard" but when I play
    >>> it, both
    >>> sides
    >>> appear to be identical. No extra picture width on the
    >>> "widescreen"
    >>> side.
    >>>
    >>> Do you play the widescreen version with the "widescreen"
    >>> label
    >>> facing up
    >>> or down in the dvd player? I tried it both ways.

    >> Place the disc in the tray. What you can read is what will
    >> play.
    >> Sometimes
    >> the "intro" to a WS movie is displayed in standard mode, but
    >> the
    >> actual
    >> movie will be WS. I have watched this movie in WS on DVD, so
    >> at least
    >> the
    >> disc I watched was properly pressed.
    >>

    > No matter which side I play it's the full screen version.

    But you did not mention WHAT you are playing it on (forgive the
    prepositional ending;-0)

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Jun 10, 2005
  5. JME

    JME Guest

    "Billy Joe" <> wrote in message
    > JME wrote:
    >> "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "JME" <> wrote in message

    >>> Place the disc in the tray. What you can read is what will play.
    >>> Sometimes
    >>> the "intro" to a WS movie is displayed in standard mode, but the
    >>> actual
    >>> movie will be WS. I have watched this movie in WS on DVD, so at
    >>> least
    >>> the
    >>> disc I watched was properly pressed.
    >>>

    >> No matter which side I play it's the full screen version.

    > But you did not mention WHAT you are playing it on (forgive the
    > prepositional ending;-0)
    >
    > BJ

    Sorry. I'm playing it on a Toshiba 5109 DVD player.

    JME, Jun 10, 2005
  6. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "JME" <> wrote in message
    > "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "JME" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have Forbidden Planet dvd in the snapper case. It has 2 sides.
    >>> One
    >>> says "widescreen" and one says "standard" but when I play it, both
    >>> sides
    >>> appear to be identical. No extra picture width on the "widescreen"
    >>> side.
    >>>
    >>> Do you play the widescreen version with the "widescreen" label
    >>> facing up
    >>> or down in the dvd player? I tried it both ways.

    >> Place the disc in the tray. What you can read is what will play.
    >> Sometimes
    >> the "intro" to a WS movie is displayed in standard mode, but the
    >> actual
    >> movie will be WS. I have watched this movie in WS on DVD, so at least
    >> the
    >> disc I watched was properly pressed.
    >>

    > No matter which side I play it's the full screen version.

    When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.
    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    FAQmeister, Jun 10, 2005
  7. JME

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:

    > When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    > letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    > widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.

    If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.
    --
    "What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, er... an eating
    machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is

    Now playing: the radio.

    Tarkus, Jun 11, 2005
  8. JME

    Billy Joe Guest

    JME wrote:
    > "Billy Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> JME wrote:
    >>> "Joe Kaffe" <> wrote in message

    >>> No matter which side I play it's the full screen version.

    >> But you did not mention WHAT you are playing it on (forgive
    >> the
    >> prepositional ending;-0)
    >>
    >> BJ

    > Sorry. I'm playing it on a Toshiba 5109 DVD player.

    I don't have a Toshiba unit, hoping someone who has can jump in
    here and help you.

    On my system I can select several display aspects which override
    (and, I suppose, work in conjunction with) the source material
    stated aspect. The settings are in a submenu called
    "widescreen." On my setup there is a decent description for
    each choice, so the fact that the "name" of the setting bears
    little relationship to any standard is of no consequence.
    Never-the-less, I found it necessary to experiment with all the
    settings from all the sources to get the idea of what it can do
    and what I might like it do from time to time.

    BJ

    Billy Joe, Jun 11, 2005
  9. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >
    >> When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    >> letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    >> widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.

    > If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    FAQmeister, Jun 12, 2005
  10. "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    >>> letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    >>> widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.

    >> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    > Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look like
    > letterbox format on a standard TV?
    > --
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    It depends on the aspect ratio of the film (and is such stated in the DVD
    FAQ, I might add...)

    Here is a GREAT explanation:

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html

    Cheers,

    Patrick Zapatka, Jun 12, 2005
  11. JME

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/11/2005 9:13:44 PM, FAQmeister wrote:

    > "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    >>> letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    >>> widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.

    >> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    > Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    > like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    Yes I am. In fact, most anamorphic DVDs shouldn't even fill a widescreen
    TV. They have different dimensions.

    Anamorphic encoding doesn't turn a 2.35:1 image, for example, into a 4:3
    image, nor even a 16:9 image.

    At least it's not supposed to. If it does, you're going to have some
    awfully tall actors, or you'll be losing a lot of image on the sides.

    Why would you expect a wide image to fit on basically a square screen?
    The purpose of an anamorphic transfer is not to change the aspect ratio
    of the viewed image.
    --
    "I'm tempted to die to I can get a head start on spinning in my grave."

    Now playing: "Van Morrison - Cleaning Windows"

    Tarkus, Jun 12, 2005
  12. In article <d8gd1g$2o0$>,
    FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >"Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    >> On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >>
    >>> When I first started watching DVDs I thought that all widescreen was
    >>> letterbox. Widescreen can be letterbox or anamorphic. Anamorphic
    >>> widescreen fills the screen on a standard TV.

    >> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    >Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    Yes - if you set your DVD player up that way.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

    Bill Vermillion, Jun 12, 2005
  13. JME

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    >>> On 6/10/2005 3:56:18 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    Such irony that the self-proclaimed keeper of the DVD newsgroup's FAQ
    has no idea at all how DVD works.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 12, 2005
  14. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >>> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >>> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    > Such irony that the self-proclaimed keeper of the DVD newsgroup's FAQ
    > has no idea at all how DVD works.

    I apologize for saying something wrong and revealing my ignorance. Yeah,
    I plead guilty to not being an expert on all aspects of video and DVD
    and having the nerve to post a faq for people who know even less than I
    do.

    And you you just can't resist acting like a jerk about it. It's your
    nature.

    FAQmeister, Jun 12, 2005
  15. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Patrick Zapatka" <> wrote in message
    > "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    >> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >> like letterbox format on a standard TV?
    >> --
    >> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    >> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    >>

    > It depends on the aspect ratio of the film (and is such stated in the
    > DVD FAQ, I might add...)
    >
    > Here is a GREAT explanation:
    >
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html
    >
    > Cheers,

    I've read this stuff many times and obviously never really understood
    it, but this page in particular made it crystal clear.
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html

    Thank you.

    FAQmeister, Jun 12, 2005
  16. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > On 6/11/2005 9:13:44 PM, FAQmeister wrote:
    >
    >> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    >> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    > Yes I am. In fact, most anamorphic DVDs shouldn't even fill a
    > widescreen TV. They have different dimensions.
    >
    > Anamorphic encoding doesn't turn a 2.35:1 image, for example, into a
    > 4:3 image, nor even a 16:9 image.
    >
    > At least it's not supposed to. If it does, you're going to have some
    > awfully tall actors, or you'll be losing a lot of image on the sides.
    >
    > Why would you expect a wide image to fit on basically a square screen?
    > The purpose of an anamorphic transfer is not to change the aspect
    > ratio of the viewed image.

    I never really understood it.

    FAQmeister, Jun 12, 2005
  17. JME

    FAQmeister Guest

    "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:
    > In article <d8gd1g$2o0$>,
    > FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> If it does, your DVD player and/or TV is set up incorrectly.

    >> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    > Yes - if you set your DVD player up that way.

    Strange. I've got three DVD players in my house and not one of them is
    set up right. I had no idea.

    FAQmeister, Jun 12, 2005
  18. On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 08:19:56 -0700, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:
    >> In article <d8gd1g$2o0$>,
    >> FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >>> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >>> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    >> Yes - if you set your DVD player up that way.

    >Strange. I've got three DVD players in my house and not one of them is
    >set up right. I had no idea.

    Are you seriously telling us that when you watch an anamorphic disc on
    any of yor TV's, you haven't noticed that everybody is "tall and
    thin"? Or have I misunderstood?

    If you're watchin an anamorphic disc on a 4:3 TV, you have to put the
    player into 'Letterbox' rather than 'Widescreen' mode.

    Steve

    The Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
    http://www.restoration-team.co.uk

    Steve Roberts, Jun 12, 2005
  19. JME

    Z Guest

    > "Patrick Zapatka" <> wrote in message
    >> "FAQmeister" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >>> like letterbox format on a standard TV?
    >>> --
    >>> The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    >>> http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    >>>

    >> It depends on the aspect ratio of the film (and is such stated in the
    >> DVD FAQ, I might add...)
    >>
    >> Here is a GREAT explanation:
    >>
    >> http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/index.html
    >>
    >> Cheers,

    > I've read this stuff many times and obviously never really understood it,
    > but this page in particular made it crystal clear.
    > http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/anamorphic185demo.html
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > --
    > The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    > http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html

    Your welcome...

    Z, Jun 12, 2005
  20. JME

    Tarkus Guest

    On 6/12/2005 8:19:56 AM, FAQmeister wrote:

    > "Bill Vermillion" <> wrote in message news:
    >> In article <d8gd1g$2o0$>,
    >> FAQmeister <> wrote:
    >>> "Tarkus" <> wrote in message

    >>> Oh really? Are you suggesting that anamorphic widescreen should look
    >>> like letterbox format on a standard TV?

    >> Yes - if you set your DVD player up that way.

    > Strange. I've got three DVD players in my house and not one of them is
    > set up right. I had no idea.

    Maybe you should change your handle. ;)
    --
    "Woah, slow down there, maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?"

    Now playing: "Frank Marino - Midnite Highway"

    Tarkus, Jun 12, 2005