For you own safety

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Digital, May 30, 2008.

  1. Digital

    Digital Guest

    Pin numbers in Reverse

    If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an
    ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in
    reverse.

    For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321.
    The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card
    you placed in the machine.

    The machine will still give you the money you requested, but
    unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to
    help you.

    This information was recently broadcast on FOX TV and it states
    that it is seldom used because people don't know it exists.

    Please pass this along to everyone possible.

    Please Visit

    www.bangbangboomboom.com

    Digital, May 30, 2008

  2. Digital

    tony cooper Guest

    On Thu, 29 May 2008 21:10:33 -0700 (PDT), Digital <>
    wrote:

    >Pin numbers in Reverse
    >
    >If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an
    >ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in
    >reverse.
    >
    >For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321.
    >The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card
    >you placed in the machine.
    >
    >The machine will still give you the money you requested, but
    >unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to
    >help you.
    >
    >This information was recently broadcast on FOX TV and it states
    >that it is seldom used because people don't know it exists.

    It's seldom used because it doesn't work.

    >Please pass this along to everyone possible.

    This is an urban myth.
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_reverse_pin.htm

    or

    http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, May 30, 2008

  3. Digital

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    tony cooper <> wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 May 2008 21:10:33 -0700 (PDT), Digital <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Pin numbers in Reverse
    > >
    > >If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an
    > >ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your Pin # in
    > >reverse.
    > >
    > >For example if your pin number is 1234 then you would put in 4321.
    > >The ATM recognizes that your pin number is backwards from the ATM card
    > >you placed in the machine.
    > >
    > >The machine will still give you the money you requested, but
    > >unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to
    > >help you.
    > >
    > >This information was recently broadcast on FOX TV and it states
    > >that it is seldom used because people don't know it exists.

    > It's seldom used because it doesn't work.
    >
    > >Please pass this along to everyone possible.
    > >

    > This is an urban myth.
    > http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_reverse_pin.htm
    >
    > or
    >
    > http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

    The sooner banks start allowing <real> security with longer PIN numbers,
    the better - bet your email PW is 8 or more digits long?

    Stewy, Jun 7, 2008
  4. Digital

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Stewy" <> wrote

    > The sooner banks start allowing <real> security with longer PIN numbers,
    > the better - bet your email PW is 8 or more digits long?

    While that would improve security for the folk who follow the guidelines,
    many more would start writing their more complicated PINs down, defeating
    the whole process. I remember an article some time back that reported quite
    a high percentage of stolen cards used for unauthorised withdrawals had the
    PIN written on them! You wouldn't think people would be that dumb, but there
    you go...

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Jun 8, 2008
  5. On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:08:34 +1000, Paul Bartram wrote:

    > I remember an article some time back that reported quite
    > a high percentage of stolen cards used for unauthorised withdrawals had the
    > PIN written on them! You wouldn't think people would be that dumb, but there
    > you go...

    And, sigh...., the vote, they breed,
    and fumble around in google groups.

    Allodoxaphobia, Jun 8, 2008
  6. Digital

    Chris H Guest

    In message <484b5b47$0$38286$>, Paul
    Bartram <> writes

    >"Stewy" <> wrote
    >
    >> The sooner banks start allowing <real> security with longer PIN numbers,
    >> the better - bet your email PW is 8 or more digits long?

    >While that would improve security for the folk who follow the guidelines,
    >many more would start writing their more complicated PINs down, defeating
    >the whole process. I remember an article some time back that reported quite
    >a high percentage of stolen cards used for unauthorised withdrawals had the
    >PIN written on them! You wouldn't think people would be that dumb, but there
    >you go...

    I have actually had it suggested that you should carry a c card with
    four PIN numbers in your wallet. None of the pin numbers being valid.
    The thug will try the pin numbers (assuming one is valid) and invalidate
    the card.

    Chris H, Jun 8, 2008
  7. Digital

    Chris H Guest

    In message <>, Allodoxaphobia
    <> writes
    >On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 14:08:34 +1000, Paul Bartram wrote:
    >>
    >> I remember an article some time back that reported quite
    >> a high percentage of stolen cards used for unauthorised withdrawals had the
    >> PIN written on them! You wouldn't think people would be that dumb, but there
    >> you go...

    >And, sigh...., the vote, they breed,
    >and fumble around in google groups.

    Is there anyway of disconnecting google groups from Usenet? They could
    happily all play there and not get in the way of the adults :)))

    Chris H, Jun 8, 2008