    If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.

    (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial about
    it)
    geopelia, Nov 24, 2005

  2. geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <lxphf.3467$>,
    says...
    > The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
    > has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
    >
    > I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus program
    > pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message was
    > blocked.
    >
    > If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
    >
    > If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
    >
    > (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial about
    > it)

    Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...

    http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Nov 25, 2005

  3. geopelia

    Pooh Bare Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <lxphf.3467$>,
    > says...
    >> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
    >> has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
    >>
    >> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
    >> program
    >> pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message
    >> was
    >> blocked.
    >>
    >> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
    >>
    >> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
    >>
    >> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
    >> about
    >> it)

    > Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
    >
    > http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html
    >
    > --
    > Duncan

    The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    Pooh
    Pooh Bare, Nov 25, 2005
  4. geopelia

    Squirrel Guest

    On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    <> wrote:

    >"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <lxphf.3467$>,
    >> says...
    >>> The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully changed"
    >>> has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
    >>>
    >>> I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
    >>> program
    >>> pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and the message
    >>> was
    >>> blocked.
    >>>
    >>> If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
    >>>
    >>> If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
    >>>
    >>> (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
    >>> about
    >>> it)

    >> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
    >>
    >> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html
    >>
    >> --
    >> Duncan

    >The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    >from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    >through but it's safer than no virus protection.
    >
    >Pooh

    I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    curious.

    I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    address, what am I missing?

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!
    Squirrel, Nov 25, 2005
  5. In article <>,
    Squirrel <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    > <> wrote:

    > >The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    > >from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    > >through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    > I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    > curious.
    >
    > I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    > number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    > mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    > address, what am I missing?

    I have received a large quantity of email from the CIA in the last
    couple of days. It appears that they have discovered that I have been
    visiting illegal web sites and they are going to send their black
    helicopters after me. Of course, if I install a virus on my computer,
    then everything will be okay...

    --
    Regards, Alastair.
    Wellington, New Zealand

    Any opinions expressed in this posting are my own, and do not
    necessarily reflect the views of any other individual or organisation.
    Alastair.geek.nz, Nov 25, 2005
  6. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > >> In article <lxphf.3467$>,

    > >> says...

    changed"

    message

    > >> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
    > >>
    > >> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Duncan

    > >The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening.

    Apart
    > >from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    > >through but it's safer than no virus protection.
    > >
    > >Pooh
    > >

    > I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    > curious.
    >
    > I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    > number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    > mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    > address, what am I missing?
    >

    > Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    I think the scam is, you have to send money for "expenses" to have your
    winnings sent to you. Of course you never hear from them again!
    These Africans that want to give you millions in a business relationship are
    the same. I have a good laugh at their astonishing English, and delete them.

    They have got your details once you reply, so ignore them.

    I expect you know all this, just posted it for kids who might not know.
    geopelia, Nov 25, 2005
  7. geopelia

    Tilly Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully
    > changed" has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
    >
    > I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
    > program pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and
    > the message was blocked.
    >
    > If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
    >
    > If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
    >
    > (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
    > about it)

    Geo I strongl;y suggest you do the following:

    Go to Tools/options/security and put a tick next to:

    Do nt allow any attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be
    a virus.
    Tilly, Nov 25, 2005
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Tilly" <> wrote in message
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > The message from xtra saying "your passord has been successfully
    > > changed" has a virus, worm MYTOB.MX
    > >
    > > I suspected something so tried to forward it to spamreport. My virus
    > > program pc-cillin sent a message back that it contained the worm and
    > > the message was blocked.
    > >
    > > If you get the message, don't open it or the attachment. (I didn't)
    > >
    > > If you haven't updated your virus checker, do it now.
    > >
    > > (I don't know much about computers, so can't send anything techncial
    > > about it)

    > Geo I strongl;y suggest you do the following:
    >
    > Go to Tools/options/security and put a tick next to:
    >
    > Do nt allow any attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially

    be
    > a virus.

    Thank you, I've done that. I wouldn't save or open attachments anyway unless
    I knew the person sending them.
    If I get an attachment from my family I can always untick it.

    I once put something on to stop extreme porn, violence etc. (It comes with
    the computer, but I forget what it is called).To my amazement it blocked a
    harmless picture of a baby dove in its nest!
    So I took it off again.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 25, 2005
  9. geopelia

    Pooh Bare Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <lxphf.3467$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
    >>>
    >>> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Duncan

    >>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    >>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    >>through but it's safer than no virus protection.
    >>
    >>Pooh
    >>

    > I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    > curious.
    >
    > I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    > number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    > mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    > address, what am I missing?
    >

    > Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    I haven't found out what the blank e-mails are about. When I get them I
    delete them totaly from my computer.

    Pooh
    Pooh Bare, Nov 26, 2005
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Pooh Bare" <> wrote in message

    > "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > >>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening.

    Apart
    > >>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    > >>through but it's safer than no virus protection.
    > >>
    > >>Pooh
    > >>

    > > I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    > > curious.
    > >
    > > I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    > > number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    > > mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    > > address, what am I missing?
    > >

    > > Oedipus! Phone your mother!!

    > I haven't found out what the blank e-mails are about. When I get them I
    > delete them totaly from my computer.
    >
    > Pooh

    I get a lot of those blank emails too. It's like these mystery phone calls,
    where they hang up as soon as I pick up the phone. I can hear the click. I
    suppose someone has dialled the wrong number and isn't polite enough to
    apologise.

    Geopelia
    geopelia, Nov 26, 2005
  11. On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, Pooh Bare wrote:

    > The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    > from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    > through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    I use the following Rules of Thumb:

    Do not use Micro$oft software.
    Do not open unsolicited attachments.
    Do not use a "preview" pane.
    And do not permit any kind of script to operate within an email.

    I also reccomend the use of a non-Windoze based firewall.

    Undeniably Sluttish

    --
    Free software on every PC on every desk.
    Mr Undeniably Sluttish, Nov 27, 2005
  12. geopelia

    John B Guest

    "Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, Pooh Bare wrote:
    >
    >> The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without
    >> opening. Apart
    >> from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still
    >> can get
    >> through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    > I use the following Rules of Thumb:
    >
    > Do not use Micro$oft software.
    > Do not open unsolicited attachments.
    > Do not use a "preview" pane.
    > And do not permit any kind of script to operate within an
    > email.
    >
    > I also reccomend the use of a non-Windoze based firewall.
    >

    > Undeniably Sluttish

    And paranoid.
    John B, Nov 27, 2005
  13. geopelia

    Squirrel Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:59:37 +1300, "John B"
    <> wrote:

    >"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, Pooh Bare wrote:
    >>
    >>> The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without
    >>> opening. Apart
    >>> from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still
    >>> can get
    >>> through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    >> I use the following Rules of Thumb:
    >>
    >> Do not use Micro$oft software.
    >> Do not open unsolicited attachments.
    >> Do not use a "preview" pane.
    >> And do not permit any kind of script to operate within an
    >> email.
    >>
    >> I also reccomend the use of a non-Windoze based firewall.
    >>

    >> Undeniably Sluttish

    >And paranoid.

    I prefer that to a copraphilliac you smelly prick

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!
    Squirrel, Nov 28, 2005
  14. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:59:37 +1300, "John B"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    > >"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message

    > >> I use the following Rules of Thumb:
    > >>
    > >> Do not use Micro$oft software.
    > >> Do not open unsolicited attachments.
    > >> Do not use a "preview" pane.
    > >> And do not permit any kind of script to operate within an
    > >> email.
    > >>
    > >> I also reccomend the use of a non-Windoze based firewall.
    > >>

    > >> Undeniably Sluttish

    > >And paranoid.
    > >

    > I prefer that to a copraphilliac you smelly prick

    (Usually spelled coprophiliac. To my surprise, both spellings are on
    google.)

    What was in his post to warrant an epithet like that?
    geopelia, Nov 28, 2005
  15. geopelia

    Pooh Bare Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in message

    > "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:59:37 +1300, "John B"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message

    >> >And paranoid.
    >> >

    >> I prefer that to a copraphilliac you smelly prick
    >>

    > (Usually spelled coprophiliac. To my surprise, both spellings are on
    > google.)
    >
    > What was in his post to warrant an epithet like that?

    That's english for you;O)

    Pooh
    Pooh Bare, Nov 28, 2005
  16. geopelia

    Squirrel Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:35:27 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 23:59:37 +1300, "John B"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message

    >> >And paranoid.
    >> >

    >> I prefer that to a copraphilliac you smelly prick
    >>

    >(Usually spelled coprophiliac. To my surprise, both spellings are on
    >google.)
    >
    >What was in his post to warrant an epithet like that?

    he accuses me of being anal with jokes, yet insists on raving on
    about gay men and their shitty dicks and fudge packing etc not to
    mention his hobby of being up reds backpassage.

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!
    Squirrel, Nov 28, 2005
  17. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Squirrel" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 15:35:27 +1300, "geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Squirrel" <> wrote in message

    > >> I prefer that to a copraphilliac you smelly prick
    > >>

    > >(Usually spelled coprophiliac. To my surprise, both spellings are on
    > >google.)
    > >
    > >What was in his post to warrant an epithet like that?
    > >

    > he accuses me of being anal with jokes, yet insists on raving on
    > about gay men and their shitty dicks and fudge packing etc not to
    > mention his hobby of being up reds backpassage.

    Interesting explanation!
    geopelia, Nov 28, 2005
  18. geopelia

    Squirrel Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 00:17:59 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, wrote:
    >>On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    >>>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    >>>through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    >>I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    >>curious.
    >>
    >>I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    >>number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    >>mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    >>address, what am I missing?

    >The followup when you do that :)
    >

    >Bruce

    although sorely tempted, I resisted and sent it (and the four similar
    ones that followed) to the bin :)

    Oedipus! Phone your mother!!
    Squirrel, Nov 28, 2005
  19. In article <>, wrote:
    >On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, "Pooh Bare"
    ><> wrote:

    >>"Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <lxphf.3467$>,
    >>> says...

    >>> Similar stuff happening on Clear/Paradise...
    >>>
    >>> http://networkstatus.telstraclear.co.nz/home/email_.html

    >>The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without opening. Apart
    >>from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still can get
    >>through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    >I have been getting blanks, no name nothing, just delete them but
    >curious.
    >
    >I also won a million quid today, they dont want my bank account
    >number, so where is the scam? I have to print out the claim form and
    >mail it with my choice of collection type, all I give them is my
    >address, what am I missing?

    The followup when you do that :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 29, 2005
  20. In article <Ekgif.3964$>, "John B" <> wrote:
    >"Mr Undeniably Sluttish" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 20:41:39 +1300, Pooh Bare wrote:
    >>
    >>> The rule of thumb I use. Is if it liiks odd, delete without
    >>> opening. Apart
    >>> from my isp running a virus checker I have my own. They still
    >>> can get
    >>> through but it's safer than no virus protection.

    >> I use the following Rules of Thumb:
    >>
    >> Do not use Micro$oft software.
    >> Do not open unsolicited attachments.
    >> Do not use a "preview" pane.
    >> And do not permit any kind of script to operate within an
    >> email.
    >>
    >> I also reccomend the use of a non-Windoze based firewall.

    >> Undeniably Sluttish

    >And paranoid.

    Just because you are paranoid doens't mean the world ISN'T out to get you :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 29, 2005