    better - I will ignore your pathetic pleadings for attention - and provide
    actual real world remedies to the vast population of 'puter users.

    Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Ryan Jacobs

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    news:gYR4d.6087$...
    > Ok, I for one am getting sick of all this bullshit surrounding the alleged
    > frailties of WinXP.
    >
    > Before I continue, anyone who says my "linux is bigger than your dick" -

    you
    > can suck my Macintosh!
    >
    > Anyway, I'd like to offer some free advice for anyone that wants to secure
    > their PC 99% (note that 100% is impossible, because we don't know what new
    > crap will happen tomorrow).

    XP is good enough, but it's the anti XP crowd will be coming from Microsoft
    itself in a few years time.
    In case you hadn't forgotten the Microsoft ads were also well aimed at users
    of previous versions of Windows. XP was going to be the best and most
    secure version of Windows yet anyone that didn't upgrade would be at risk.
    At the time of released there weren't any security problems as it was well
    tried and tested. Well apart from the 2 patches since then, in the years to
    come especially when XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, Windows 2010
    will be the best version yet.
    For once a version of Windows has lasted for a decent period with the next
    version coming out some time in 2006.

    And in 2010 there'll probably still be plenty of people round the world
    still using XP, just as there's plenty of people still using W95 & W98 etc
    etc.

    And to those users of Windows 98 that might be using IE6 and OE6 software.
    Do you know what Microsoft says to them if they want upgrade patches to
    secure that software?
    "**** off. Unless you're using XP you're no longer be supported and no
    longer even exist".

    XP is damn good... but with future versions of Windows coming Microsoft
    will state plenty of reasons for why the flawed unsecure XP OS should be
    replaced. They did exactly that when XP was released.

    Check out Bruce Simpson's article as well.
    What Bruce failed to mention is that it's only a matter time before
    Microsoft treats Windows XP exactly like they're treating Windows 98 etc -
    Microsoft will eventually completely wash their hands of Windows XP by 2010.
    Only 2 more versions of Windows away.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    Ok, I'll take that as one vote in the negative. Interestingly, you said a
    lot, but said nothing at all - thanks for your input.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 24, 2004
  4. E. Scrooge wrote:
    > Check out Bruce Simpson's article as well.
    > What Bruce failed to mention is that it's only a matter time before
    > Microsoft treats Windows XP exactly like they're treating Windows 98 etc -

    what bruce doesnt seem to get is that he seems to have simple needs, and
    from what he has posted, Linux would suit them just fine.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 24, 2004
  5. Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > Interestingly, you said a
    > lot, but said nothing at all - thanks for your input.

    I thought the same about your initial post. :)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 24, 2004
  6. Ryan Jacobs

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in news:gYR4d.6087$JQ4.506281
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    Rule number 1 is to not be an administrator as you do day to day stuff..
    surf the internet etc.
    Rule number 2 is to get some kind of free av like avast.
    Rule number 3 is to patch you machine.
    Rule number 4 is to learn about prevention, not cures.
    Avoid common problems like preview panes, and look into spywareblaster etc.
    GRC.com is good starting point, as is SANS.org
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 24, 2004
  7. > E. Scrooge wrote:
    > > Check out Bruce Simpson's article as well.
    > > What Bruce failed to mention is that it's only a matter time before
    > > Microsoft treats Windows XP exactly like they're treating Windows 98 etc -

    Yes, probably all of at least five years. By that time Windows XP will
    have been superseded by at least three later versions...

    Patrick Dunford, Sep 24, 2004
  8. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <Dave@_no_spam_here_please_dave.net.nz> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    >> Interestingly, you said a lot, but said nothing at all - thanks for your
    >> input.

    > I thought the same about your initial post. :)

    Well, that was deliberate.

    My intention was/is to provide some usefull information that may help people
    that want to be helped. But, I have discovered 2 things over recent years:

    1. People are scared to ask for help (possibly because they fear ridicule?)
    2. If help is submitted without asking - the deliverer usually gets slapped
    down (for perceived ulterior motives?)

    So, having said that, my intention is to provide the info - but only if
    there is sufficient demand.

    So, I'm damned if I do - damned if I don't. The choice is not mine - it's
    the choice of the readers of this group.

    Ya know, it's a tough life being a saint, lol. ;-)

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 24, 2004
  9. Ryan Jacobs

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in news:gYR4d.6087$JQ4.506281
    > @news.xtra.co.nz:
    >
    >> Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........
    >>

    > Rule number 1 is to not be an administrator as you do day to day stuff..
    > surf the internet etc.
    > Rule number 2 is to get some kind of free av like avast.
    > Rule number 3 is to patch you machine.
    > Rule number 4 is to learn about prevention, not cures.
    > Avoid common problems like preview panes, and look into spywareblaster
    > etc.
    > GRC.com is good starting point, as is SANS.org
    > Ciao, Dave

    Good advice.

    But, if demand warrants, I'd like to go even deeper into the subject.

    Ryan Jacobs, Sep 24, 2004
  10. It seems like Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:40:27 +1200 was when "Ryan Jacobs"
    <> said Blah blah blah...

    >Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    Do you think if I mention Brian Tamaki then Godwin's Law is invoked?:)

    Speaking of securing Windows, has anyone tried Deep Freeze?
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.

    1st Year B.I.T. WelTec

    Waylon Kenning, Sep 24, 2004
  11. Ryan Jacobs

    C9H8O4 Guest

    > Ok, I for one am getting sick of all this bullshit surrounding the alleged
    > frailties of WinXP.
    >
    > Before I continue, anyone who says my "linux is bigger than your dick" -
    > you can suck my Macintosh!
    >
    > Anyway, I'd like to offer some free advice for anyone that wants to secure
    > their PC 99% (note that 100% is impossible, because we don't know what new
    > crap will happen tomorrow).
    >
    > So, with that said - is there a need here for relevant information that
    > will help people secure their systems?
    >
    > Again, to all the people who say that alternatives to M$ apps/OS's are
    > better - I will ignore your pathetic pleadings for attention - and provide
    > actual real world remedies to the vast population of 'puter users.
    >
    > Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    I'm no guru but these are the four simple steps I've used to keep my PC's,
    and those of friends and family, virtually 100% free of nasties over the
    last 10 years or so. They apply to any version of Windows, not just WinXP:

    1. Use a firewall, always. If you find a piece of software that requires you
    to turn the firewall off, don't use the software. And if you're on a network
    don't rely solely on the network firewall, it won't help when somebody
    connects a worm-infected notebook
    2. Keep your PC patched via auto update. Almost all exploits are released
    after the relevant patch has been made available. In my experience it has
    been *extremely* rare for a patch to break a PC and even if it does the work
    required to fix it is substantially less than what would be involved in
    fixing the same machine on a regular basis if it wasn't patched. I am a firm
    believer in keeping a PC running all the time and setting it up to check for
    updates at 1am daily - even if you're on dialup it'll still have plenty of
    time to download whatever patches are available.
    3. Use good antivirus software and check for updates daily
    4. Check for spyware once a month
    5. Avoid the "experts" who possess enough knowledge to be dangerous. They're
    the ones who have a horror story about how their friend's friend's friend
    once had a PC which was broken by autoupdate and so now they tell everybody
    not to use it. Or install a 30-day AV trial version and not tell the user
    how to purchase an update subscription after the trial period is over etc
    etc

    Nothing is 100% risk-free but I've found that the above approach works and
    works well. Bear in mind I'm talking about home users and small businesses
    here. I'm not professing to tell Telecom etc how to secure their thousands
    of users.

    C9H8O4, Sep 24, 2004
  12. Ryan Jacobs

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "C9H8O4" <> wrote in message
    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I for one am getting sick of all this bullshit surrounding the
    >> alleged frailties of WinXP.
    >>
    >> Before I continue, anyone who says my "linux is bigger than your dick" -
    >> you can suck my Macintosh!
    >>
    >> Anyway, I'd like to offer some free advice for anyone that wants to
    >> secure their PC 99% (note that 100% is impossible, because we don't know
    >> what new crap will happen tomorrow).
    >>
    >> So, with that said - is there a need here for relevant information that
    >> will help people secure their systems?
    >>
    >> Again, to all the people who say that alternatives to M$ apps/OS's are
    >> better - I will ignore your pathetic pleadings for attention - and
    >> provide actual real world remedies to the vast population of 'puter
    >> users.
    >>
    >> Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........
    >>

    > I'm no guru but these are the four simple steps I've used to keep my PC's,
    > and those of friends and family, virtually 100% free of nasties over the
    > last 10 years or so. They apply to any version of Windows, not just WinXP:
    >
    > 1. Use a firewall, always. If you find a piece of software that requires
    > you to turn the firewall off, don't use the software. And if you're on a
    > network don't rely solely on the network firewall, it won't help when
    > somebody connects a worm-infected notebook
    > 2. Keep your PC patched via auto update. Almost all exploits are released
    > after the relevant patch has been made available. In my experience it has
    > been *extremely* rare for a patch to break a PC and even if it does the
    > work required to fix it is substantially less than what would be involved
    > in fixing the same machine on a regular basis if it wasn't patched. I am a
    > firm believer in keeping a PC running all the time and setting it up to
    > check for updates at 1am daily - even if you're on dialup it'll still have
    > plenty of time to download whatever patches are available.
    > 3. Use good antivirus software and check for updates daily
    > 4. Check for spyware once a month
    > 5. Avoid the "experts" who possess enough knowledge to be dangerous.
    > They're the ones who have a horror story about how their friend's friend's
    > friend once had a PC which was broken by autoupdate and so now they tell
    > everybody not to use it. Or install a 30-day AV trial version and not tell
    > the user how to purchase an update subscription after the trial period is
    > over etc etc
    >
    > Nothing is 100% risk-free but I've found that the above approach works and
    > works well. Bear in mind I'm talking about home users and small businesses
    > here. I'm not professing to tell Telecom etc how to secure their thousands
    > of users.

    My bad, make that "five simple steps". I added the last one as it's a
    personal bugbear of mine :)

    C9H8O4, Sep 24, 2004
  13. Ryan Jacobs

    Brendan Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 08:37:29 +1200, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > My bad, make that "five simple steps". I added the last one as it's a
    > personal bugbear of mine :)

    Never the less, you must pay the fine. Email me for details on how to pay
    it ;)

    --

    .... Brendan

    "Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast." -- Douglas Adams

    Note: All my comments are copyright 25/09/2004 1:26:54 p.m. and are opinion only where not otherwise stated and always "to the best of my recollection". www.computerman.orcon.net.nz.

    Brendan, Sep 25, 2004
  14. Ryan Jacobs

    C9H8O4 Guest

    do you take Subway stamps ?

    C9H8O4, Sep 25, 2004
  15. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    Ryan Jacobs wrote:
    > Ok, I for one am getting sick of all this bullshit surrounding the alleged
    > frailties of WinXP.
    >
    > Before I continue, anyone who says my "linux is bigger than your dick" - you
    > can suck my Macintosh!
    >
    > Anyway, I'd like to offer some free advice for anyone that wants to secure
    > their PC 99% (note that 100% is impossible, because we don't know what new
    > crap will happen tomorrow).
    >
    > So, with that said - is there a need here for relevant information that will
    > help people secure their systems?
    >
    > Again, to all the people who say that alternatives to M$ apps/OS's are
    > better - I will ignore your pathetic pleadings for attention - and provide
    > actual real world remedies to the vast population of 'puter users.
    >
    > Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    www.cisecurity.org

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 25, 2004
  16. Ryan Jacobs

    thing Guest

    E. Scrooge wrote:
    > "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Ok, I for one am getting sick of all this bullshit surrounding the alleged
    >>frailties of WinXP.
    >>
    >>Before I continue, anyone who says my "linux is bigger than your dick" -

    > you
    >
    >>can suck my Macintosh!
    >>
    >>Anyway, I'd like to offer some free advice for anyone that wants to secure
    >>their PC 99% (note that 100% is impossible, because we don't know what new
    >>crap will happen tomorrow).

    > XP is good enough, but it's the anti XP crowd will be coming from Microsoft
    > itself in a few years time.
    > In case you hadn't forgotten the Microsoft ads were also well aimed at users
    > of previous versions of Windows. XP was going to be the best and most
    > secure version of Windows yet anyone that didn't upgrade would be at risk.
    > At the time of released there weren't any security problems as it was well
    > tried and tested. Well apart from the 2 patches since then, in the years to
    > come especially when XP is no longer supported by Microsoft, Windows 2010
    > will be the best version yet.
    > For once a version of Windows has lasted for a decent period with the next
    > version coming out some time in 2006.
    >
    > And in 2010 there'll probably still be plenty of people round the world
    > still using XP, just as there's plenty of people still using W95 & W98 etc
    > etc.
    >
    > And to those users of Windows 98 that might be using IE6 and OE6 software.
    > Do you know what Microsoft says to them if they want upgrade patches to
    > secure that software?
    > "**** off. Unless you're using XP you're no longer be supported and no
    > longer even exist".
    >
    > XP is damn good... but with future versions of Windows coming Microsoft
    > will state plenty of reasons for why the flawed unsecure XP OS should be
    > replaced. They did exactly that when XP was released.
    >
    > Check out Bruce Simpson's article as well.
    > What Bruce failed to mention is that it's only a matter time before
    > Microsoft treats Windows XP exactly like they're treating Windows 98 etc -
    > Microsoft will eventually completely wash their hands of Windows XP by 2010.
    > Only 2 more versions of Windows away.
    >
    > E. Scrooge

    and just how long has MS to support its old version(s)?

    98 is out of support, big deal its a 6 year old system based on 20 year
    old technology.......

    Redhat has done the same, in fact RH's period of support is even shorter.

    About all you can say for Linux is there is support for newer versions
    on your old hardware, where XP is bloating, Linux at its core is getting
    better.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Sep 25, 2004
  17. Ryan Jacobs

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 21:40:27 +1200, Ryan Jacobs wrote:

    > Again, to all the people who say that alternatives to M$ apps/OS's are
    > better - I will ignore your pathetic pleadings for attention - and provide
    > actual real world remedies to the vast population of 'puter users.
    >
    > Destiny in the hands of those who want to be helped........

    LOL - and you appear not to want to be helped. You appear to actually WANT
    to stay with inferior/microsoft software.

    Divine

    --
    Micro$oft Knowledge Base: "This problem was *first* corrected in Windows
    2000 Service Pack 2."

    , Sep 25, 2004
  18. Ryan Jacobs

    Guest

    On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 14:43:32 +1200, thing wrote:

    > 98 is out of support, big deal its a 6 year old system based on 20 year
    > old technology.......

    LOL - FreeBSD is a 6 month old system based on 35 year old technology.

    Divine

    --
    "Outlook is the security equivalent of wearing condoms with the ends cut
    off - for greater comfort and ease of use."

    , Sep 25, 2004
  19. Ryan Jacobs

    Guest

    On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 11:16:01 +0000, Dave Taylor wrote:

    > Rule number 1 is to not be an administrator as you do day to day stuff..
    > surf the internet etc.

    Agreed. It is totally inane to use the root account for anything other
    than major maintainance of the system and installing software.

    > Rule number 2 is to get some kind of free av like avast.

    Wrong!

    Rule number 2 is to use an OS and other software which are not vulnerable
    to viruses - and that means OSes other than Micro$oft Windows.

    > Rule number 3 is to patch you machine.

    Agreed. And one should only get the patches directly from the authors of
    the software in question.

    > Rule number 4 is to learn about prevention, not cures.

    Agreed.

    > Avoid common problems like preview panes, and look into spywareblaster etc.
    > GRC.com is good starting point, as is SANS.org

    The best starting point is to use non-micro$oft software, that is known to
    be open, free, safe, and secure.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult

    , Sep 25, 2004
  20. It seems like Sat, 25 Sep 2004 17:04:20 +1200 was when
    "" <> said Blah blah
    blah...

    >> Rule number 2 is to get some kind of free av like avast.

    >Wrong!
    >
    >Rule number 2 is to use an OS and other software which are not vulnerable
    >to viruses - and that means OSes other than Micro$oft Windows.

    The user decides the ability of the OS to be resistant to viruses and
    attacks.
    --
    Regards,
    Waylon Kenning.