    used by the wireless adapter. Voila! Problem fixed.

    So.. for those of you out there with USB adapters and suffering
    from dropped connections.... try changing the port.
    Alan, Oct 31, 2006

  2. Hi

    Thanks for the tip, it is nice that someone for a change starts a thread
    with a solution rather than a question.

    My guess would be that the USB jack that was used first is either overloaded
    with few peripherals, and or, something is wrong with it. As a result it
    was supplying lower current/voltage to the Wireless USB Card, and the Card
    provided a weaker than the normal signal.

    When you moved the computer to a remote location, the signal was not strong
    enough and thus the occasional droppage. When you plugged the Wireless to
    the second USB jack, it probably got the correct power, and thus works
    better.

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Nov 1, 2006

  3. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Jack (MVP-Networking). wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Thanks for the tip, it is nice that someone for a change starts a thread
    > with a solution rather than a question.
    >
    > My guess would be that the USB jack that was used first is either overloaded
    > with few peripherals, and or, something is wrong with it. As a result it
    > was supplying lower current/voltage to the Wireless USB Card, and the Card
    > provided a weaker than the normal signal.
    >
    > When you moved the computer to a remote location, the signal was not strong
    > enough and thus the occasional droppage. When you plugged the Wireless to
    > the second USB jack, it probably got the correct power, and thus works
    > better.
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "Alan" <> wrote in message
    >> After relocating and having one wireless machine on an upper floor, we
    >> started to get dropped connections. Up to 3 or 4 a day requiring the
    >> router to be rebooted. I used all the trouble shooting techniques that
    >> have been identified at this newsgroup. I thought I had solved the problem
    >> when I discovered that WZC had not been disabled and the Dell utility was
    >> managing the connection. I disabled the Dell utility and let WZC do its
    >> thing. I thought I was home free but the problem kept resurfacing.
    >> Finally.... I decided to change the USB port being used by the wireless
    >> adapter. Voila! Problem fixed.
    >>
    >> So.. for those of you out there with USB adapters and suffering from
    >> dropped connections.... try changing the port.

    Sounds like a very reasonable explanation to me.
    Alan, Nov 1, 2006
  4. Thanks for the tip. I read these newsgroups for tips such as these.

    In fact today, I had Verizon install FIOS replacing cable at home, as it's
    cheaper and 3 times faster. I also have to switch a USB Linksys wireless
    adaptor from the PC in my living room to the study PC. The study PC was wired
    to the router as the cable company cable modem came in thru the study.

    I first installed the USB wireless adaptor thru WZC, and the connection
    worked. I then installed the Linksys software since I liked the interface and
    it worked on the other PC though I get occasional messages popin up that it
    caused "memory violations".

    As soon as I switched over to the Linksys software, the connections started
    working irradically, then stopped working. Spent another hour or two removing
    the adaptor, re-installing -no luck.

    So, I finally disabled the Linksys software, and put WZC in control, and so
    far, worked with no problems, for the rest of the evening. I'm keeping my
    fingers crossed, like you, I hope this solves the problem.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Nov 2, 2006