    DVDs will be even better than HD broadcast that I think most people
    with a HD set will jump into BR/HD camp sooner than you might think.
    , Mar 7, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    <> wrote:

    > Think again. I was the one who though the same also. But after
    > watching the Good Night, Good Luck DVD on Saturday night and the HD
    > broadcast of Oscar on Sunday night, I saw tremendous improvement in
    > picture quality on the few clips of the same movie. Skin texture is a
    > lot more detail on the HD clips that you can almost see the sweat
    > gland on Murrow’s face.
    >

    > That’s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    > much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal. BR/HD
    > DVDs will be even better than HD broadcast that I think most people
    > with a HD set will jump into BR/HD camp sooner than you might think.

    Well, I know I won't until there a "combo" player or until one format
    is a clear winner. I'm not doing another Betamax!!

    Heinrich
    Heinrich Galland, Mar 7, 2006

  3. Alpha Guest

    Re: For those who thought BR/HD won't be that much better than DVD

    It is interesting that with all the flurry of conflicting press releases
    from all camps, no one has seen any example of a dual format HD player.
    Promises made, then broken, then remade.

    Alpha, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Re: For those who thought BR/HD won't be that much better than DVD

    Alpha wrote:
    > It is interesting that with all the flurry of conflicting press releases
    > from all camps, no one has seen any example of a dual format HD player.
    > Promises made, then broken, then remade.

    I've recently seen an example. Don't remember the brand, but I do
    remember thinking that's the only kind I'd consider getting.

    John

    The Man Behind The Curtain, Mar 8, 2006
  5. GMAN Guest

    In article <070320061222598138%>, Heinrich Galland <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> Think again. I was the one who though the same also. But after
    >> watching the Good Night, Good Luck DVD on Saturday night and the HD
    >> broadcast of Oscar on Sunday night, I saw tremendous improvement in
    >> picture quality on the few clips of the same movie. Skin texture is a
    >> lot more detail on the HD clips that you can almost see the sweat
    >> gland on Murrow’s face.
    >>

    >> That’s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    >> much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal. BR/HD
    >> DVDs will be even better than HD broadcast that I think most people
    >> with a HD set will jump into BR/HD camp sooner than you might think.
    >>

    >Well, I know I won't until there a "combo" player or until one format
    >is a clear winner. I'm not doing another Betamax!!
    >

    >Heinrich

    Thats fine, and its the same thing i am doing. Sitting back and waiting to see
    who wins first. But to say betamax like it is a bad thing is wrong. Many here
    wish that beta had won out. It was clearly the better quality of the two tape
    formats.
    GMAN, Mar 8, 2006
  6. G-squared Guest

    Re: For those who thought BR/HD won't be that much better than DVD

    <snip>
    > Thats fine, and its the same thing i am doing. Sitting back and waiting to see
    > who wins first. But to say betamax like it is a bad thing is wrong. Many here
    > wish that beta had won out. It was clearly the better quality of the two tape
    > formats.

    Beta was somewhat better early on but
    1: the cassette was too small so the record time was less
    2: the machines broke too often

    Later VHS machines caught up to Beta HiFi.
    GG
    G-squared, Mar 8, 2006
  7. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 16:51:58 GMT, Gave us:

    >Think again. I was the one who though the same also. But after
    >watching the Good Night, Good Luck DVD on Saturday night and the HD
    >broadcast of Oscar on Sunday night, I saw tremendous improvement in
    >picture quality on the few clips of the same movie. Skin texture is a
    >lot more detail on the HD clips that you can almost see the sweat
    >gland on Murrow?s face.

    My god... you ARE an idiot.

    >That?s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    >much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal.

    Plasma? Hahahaha. DO you know anything about hi resolution video?

    > BR/HD
    >DVDs will be even better than HD broadcast that I think most people
    >with a HD set will jump into BR/HD camp sooner than you might think.

    It will be hi res... higher than broadcast HD. Whoopie doo.

    No, everyone will NOT be jumping on it. Would you like to bet?
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 8, 2006
  8. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 04:42:12 GMT,
    (GMAN) Gave us:

    >In article <070320061222598138%>, Heinrich Galland <> wrote:
    >>In article <>,
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Think again. I was the one who though the same also. But after
    >>> watching the Good Night, Good Luck DVD on Saturday night and the HD
    >>> broadcast of Oscar on Sunday night, I saw tremendous improvement in
    >>> picture quality on the few clips of the same movie. Skin texture is a
    >>> lot more detail on the HD clips that you can almost see the sweat
    >>> gland on Murrow?s face.
    >>>

    >>> That?s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    >>> much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal. BR/HD
    >>> DVDs will be even better than HD broadcast that I think most people
    >>> with a HD set will jump into BR/HD camp sooner than you might think.
    >>>

    >>Well, I know I won't until there a "combo" player or until one format
    >>is a clear winner. I'm not doing another Betamax!!
    >>

    >>Heinrich

    >Thats fine, and its the same thing i am doing. Sitting back and waiting to see
    >who wins first. But to say betamax like it is a bad thing is wrong. Many here
    >wish that beta had won out. It was clearly the better quality of the two tape
    >formats.

    Not if one factors in cost of ownership.

    Why do you think VHS won? It was sufficient quality for the
    monitors of the day, and was WAY cheaper.

    Sony made the same mistake that IBM made with "micro-channel".
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 8, 2006
  9. Re: For those who thought BR/HD won't be that much better than DVD

    "G-squared" <> wrote:

    >Beta was somewhat better early on but
    >1: the cassette was too small so the record time was less

    A lot of people felt that way, which is what counted in the marketplace. In
    actuality, you could get 3 hours on one cassette in BII mode, which was
    higher quality than the 2 hours of VHS SP mode. But nobody seemed to care
    about quality and used the 6 hour SLP/EP mode.

    Which makes me wonder just how many people are really going to care about
    the advertised quality improvement with the new discs.

    >2: the machines broke too often

    Well, it was Sony. What else can you expect?
    Kimba W. Lion, Mar 8, 2006
  10. Allan Guest

    On Tue, 7 Mar 2006 12:43:24 -0800, "Alpha" <> wrote:

    >It is interesting that with all the flurry of conflicting press releases
    >from all camps, no one has seen any example of a dual format HD player.
    >Promises made, then broken, then remade.

    LG has apparently abandoned plans to ship a Blu-ray DIsc player this
    Spring, and appears instead to be preparing a dual-mode system that
    incorporates HD DVD support too. So, at any rate, claims a memo
    allegedly sent by the company's US sales chief to staff last week.

    The memo, cited by consumer electronics industry-watching website CE
    Pro, says the BD199 Blu-ray Disc player will not ship when originally
    intended because of "uncertainty in this early stage of the market for
    pre-recorded high-definition optical discs".

    LG launched the BD199 in January at the Consumer Electronics Show. At
    the time, it said the player would ship in Q2. However, the company
    was notable by its absence from a statement put out last week by
    Blu-ray backers preparing to release hardware and content on or after
    23 May.

    LG - which signed an optical disc drive pact with HD DVD leader
    Toshiba in February - now seems to believe a dual-format player would
    be a better product to ship than one supporting just one of the two
    rival next-generation formats.

    Curiously, Samsung indicated last Autumn that it had a dual-format
    device in the pipeline, but has since distanced itself from the
    scheme. It looks set to be the first company to ship a Blu-ray player
    into the US market.

    The LG memo says the company's dual-format player is planned for late
    Summer or early Autumn, according to CE Pro.

    [ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/06/lg_blu-ray_hd-dvd_plans/ ]

    - Neil Stephenson, _Cryptonomicon_
    Allan, Mar 8, 2006
  11. T1001 Guest

    Re: For those who thought BR/HD =?windows-1252?Q?won=92t_be_?==?windows-1252?Q?that_much_better_than_DVD?=

    Roy L. Fuchs wrote:

    >>That?s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    >>much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal.

    > Plasma? Hahahaha. DO you know anything about hi resolution video?

    What's wrong with Plasma? Apart from being slightly less bright that LCD
    aren't they supposed to have better colour reproduction than LCD?
    T1001, Mar 8, 2006
  12. T1001 Guest

    T1001, Mar 8, 2006
  13. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:39:30 +0000, T1001 <> Gave
    us:

    >Roy L. Fuchs wrote:
    >

    >>>That?s only on my low end Sony RPTV from 3 years ago, I wonder how
    >>>much more detail the high end plasma or DLP sets will reveal.

    >> Plasma? Hahahaha. DO you know anything about hi resolution video?
    >>

    >What's wrong with Plasma? Apart from being slightly less bright that LCD
    >aren't they supposed to have better colour reproduction than LCD?

    They have HUGE gaps between their pixels. 100% noticeable by anyone
    with half a brain and half an eye for detail. I reiterate my feeling
    that you are clueless in the arena of high resolution video display
    technology. Plasma is NOT high resolution.

    CRT is still king, and still beats even DLP. The only reason it is
    going the way side is the cost and problems associated with making
    large scale picture tubes. Your basic modern computer CRT is way
    better than any LCD DLP or other FPD technology display.

    The highest resolution FPD there is is a IBM monitor that has 19
    million pixels. It is OLED technology, and is used by the motion
    picture industry because at it's highest resolution, it only has a 24
    fps refresh.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 8, 2006
  14. Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:44:04 +0000, T1001 <> Gave
    us:

    >What's wrong with...

    Double posting? A lot.
    Roy L. Fuchs, Mar 8, 2006
  15. Guest

    Re: For those who thought BR/HD won't be that much better than DVD

    A dual mode is the only way I would go.As far as I'm concerned the
    manufacturer's would be further ahead if all the dvd players were
    universal BD/HD.We've seen the format wars long enough-beta/vhs,dolby
    digital/dts and soon dolby digital plus and now BR/HD.Enough already!
    , Mar 8, 2006
  16. Goro Guest

    Kimba W. Lion wrote:
    > "G-squared" <> wrote:
    >
    > >Beta was somewhat better early on but
    > >1: the cassette was too small so the record time was less

    > A lot of people felt that way, which is what counted in the marketplace. In
    > actuality, you could get 3 hours on one cassette in BII mode, which was
    > higher quality than the 2 hours of VHS SP mode. But nobody seemed to care
    > about quality and used the 6 hour SLP/EP mode.
    >
    > Which makes me wonder just how many people are really going to care about
    > the advertised quality improvement with the new discs.

    i think people have shown time and time again that they DO NOT CARE
    ABOUT QUALITY. or at least about sound/video fidelity.

    I'm eager for an HD playback device, but without draconian DRM, so it'
    looks like i may be sitting this one out, even though i find DVD to be
    only ok video-quality-wise and really want HD (even 720p). Hell, i'd
    even be happy with 480p with higher disc capacity and thus higher
    bitrate (and fewer artifacts).

    It may turn out that the Next Great Video Thing (tm) will be
    xvid/divx/h.264 playback. Or maybe not. Maybe we'll just use DVDs for
    the next 10 yrs despite what the studios try to force upon us.

    -goro-

    Goro, Mar 8, 2006
  17. "Roy L. Fuchs" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:39:30 +0000, T1001 <> Gave
    > us:

    >>> Plasma? Hahahaha. DO you know anything about hi resolution video?

    >>What's wrong with Plasma? Apart from being slightly less bright that LCD
    >>aren't they supposed to have better colour reproduction than LCD?

    > They have HUGE gaps between their pixels. 100% noticeable by anyone
    > with half a brain and half an eye for detail. I reiterate my feeling
    > that you are clueless in the arena of high resolution video display
    > technology. Plasma is NOT high resolution.

    Plasma is as high resolution as the particular display allows, which is
    variable. Same as LCD, DLP, and other technologies that are not fully 1080p.
    But neither is CRT (in home HDTV applications) as high-res as you make it
    out to be, because it substitutes the fuzziness of interlace and CRT
    generally (at a higher resolution) for the lower-resolution but sharper
    appearance of other technologies. Ultimately, as has been said again and
    again, 1080i (CRT) and (roughly) 720p (others) are essentially equivalent in
    overall quality and detail level, though slightly different in nature.

    > CRT is still king, and still beats even DLP. The only reason it is
    > going the way side is the cost and problems associated with making
    > large scale picture tubes. Your basic modern computer CRT is way
    > better than any LCD DLP or other FPD technology display.

    Yes and no. CRT is definitely better in subtleties of contrast
    differentiation, gradations of different brightnesses, grey/black detail
    etc. On the other hand, plasma is a close second in these regards, beating
    out DLP and especially LCD. But the resolution of a 1080i CRT really can't
    compare to the newer 1080p sets, whether DLP, LCD/LCDoS projector, or
    direct-view LCD or plasma, all of which look stunningly clear by comparison
    to earlier HDTVs, whether 1080i or 720p.

    > The highest resolution FPD there is is a IBM monitor that has 19
    > million pixels. It is OLED technology, and is used by the motion
    > picture industry because at it's highest resolution, it only has a 24
    > fps refresh.

    That's very nice, but I'm not sure what relevance it has for HDTV buyers.
    Matthew Vaughan, Mar 12, 2006