For those who may be interested .

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by mymail@hotmail.com, May 13, 2008.

  1. Guest

    , May 13, 2008

  2. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    <> typed, for some strange,
    unexplained reason:
    : Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008
    :
    : Hi ,
    :
    : the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
    : preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:
    :
    : http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/sipgate/device_configuration
    :
    : Best regards,
    :
    : Udo Fritsch

    Ye gods, Ron - are you actually saying Sipgate are doing something
    right..???!!!

    Good job I'm already sitting down or I'd fall down...!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 13, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:11:51 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >In news:,
    > <> typed, for some strange,
    >unexplained reason:
    >: Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008
    >:
    >: Hi ,
    >:
    >: the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
    >: preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:
    >:
    >: http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/sipgate/device_configuration
    >:
    >: Best regards,
    >:
    >: Udo Fritsch
    >
    >Ye gods, Ron - are you actually saying Sipgate are doing something
    >right..???!!!

    No I am saying nothing of the sort just passing on info that I thought
    may just be useful to some people and I still think more than ever now
    that something is not quite right somehow regarding these phones.
    Come on Ivor these phones where around £ 40.00 more expensive than the
    UTStarcom F1000 when I bought my Starcom over 12 months ago and nither
    the Starcom or the Pirelli haven't dropped much in price over the
    months from other sources . I wonder if some very careless truck
    driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back door
    and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
    Just a thought many a true word is spoken in jest Ivor and maybe I am
    not the only one having such thoughts .

    , May 13, 2008
  4. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:,
    Martin² <> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
    : <> wrote in message
    : >I wonder if some very careless truck
    : > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back
    : > door and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
    :
    : M

    Indeed..! Apart from that Ron, has it occurred to you that Sipgate might
    just have the buying power..? They are a *huge* company in Germany, with
    far, far more customers than they have here, maybe they negotiated a good
    deal from the suppliers/manufacturers..?

    How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
    40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 14, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:46:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Indeed..! Apart from that Ron, has it occurred to you that Sipgate might
    >just have the buying power..? They are a *huge* company in Germany, with
    >far, far more customers than they have here, maybe they negotiated a good
    >deal from the suppliers/manufacturers..?

    Well from what I have read here today I don't they are even worth what
    Sipgate are charging besides which I recon there is still something
    about the Sipgate deal that is not what it seams maybe there could
    be a slight fault with them wouldn't know but only time will tell.

    >How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
    >40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

    Because they want to carry on selling milk and are taking a far less
    cut pr pint than most small shops 31p pr pint at the local Indian shop
    but I would not buy it from there even if he was charging 20 p a
    pint .

    , May 14, 2008
  6. andy Guest

    On 14 May, 18:46, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:

    > How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
    > 40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

    Or this Pirelli phone at half its original price?

    andy, May 15, 2008
  7. Guest

    On May 15, 2:01 am, andy <> wrote:
    > On 14 May, 18:46, "Ivor Jones" <> wrote:
    >

    > > How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
    > > 40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

    > Or this Pirelli phone at half its original price?

    Just to put aside the issues of each individual company's selling
    price, one has to bear in mind that people like Tesco (and maybe
    Sipgate in the VOIP market) can negotiate and buy much at cheaper
    prices. Whether they then pass on these discounts to the end consumer
    is up to them.

    Forgetting all this, if you're thinking of buying one, I feel you have
    to ask yourself if it is value for money. Value for money being a good
    feature set/ reliability/whatever compared to price and other similar
    items on the market. Personally, I think this device does offer pretty
    good valu for money.... How much would a cheapy, but functional mobile
    with camera cost? How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
    offers both in one device - pretty handy really.
    Add to that the possibility of converting this phone from a dual phone
    (GSM and voip wifi) into a "tri" phone adding in PSTN capability too
    (with the addition of a base station - the Sinus TC300) and you have
    quite a mean machine. OK the base station isn't easily available in
    the UK, but you could probably get one for under 20 quid off ebay....

    Just my 2ps worth

    --

    , May 15, 2008
  8. Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:16:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    > How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
    >offers both in one device - pretty handy really.

    But it is bad enough sending anything back if anything goes wrong to
    suppliers in the UK this phone would have to go back to Germany at
    great cost probably around 15.00 or more UPS.
    This is why I always or nearly always buy within driving distance
    cuts down on time and cost .I have sent a couple of hard drives back
    to Germany ( western digital ) in the past cost by RM equivalent of
    special delivery has been just under £ 20. 00.

    , May 15, 2008
  9. Guest

    On May 15, 8:08 pm, wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:16:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
    > > How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
    > >offers both in one device - pretty handy really.

    > But it is bad enough sending anything back if anything goes wrong to
    > suppliers in the UK this phone would have to go back to Germany at
    > great cost probably around 15.00 or more UPS.
    > This is why I always or nearly always buy within driving distance
    > cuts down on time and cost .

    Where did you get the Starcom wifi phones? locally? Ah yes, you did
    say "nearly always"

    > I have sent a couple of hard drives back
    > to Germany ( western digital ) in the past cost by RM equivalent of
    > special delivery  has been just under £ 20. 00.

    Ah hard drives. Sorry, I forgot you DID say you buy locally "nearly
    always". If the warranty has expired (and with the drop in prices of
    most electronic equipment), it's often cheaper just to buy a new one
    anyway.

    Anyway, this phone is obviously not for you for a number of reasons -
    it's foreign AND sold by Sipgate.

    --

    , May 15, 2008
  10. Guest

    On Thu, 15 May 2008 11:29:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >Where did you get the Starcom wifi phones? locally? Ah yes, you did
    >say "nearly always"

    I did not say LOCALLY AT ALL I said within driving distance in the
    case of the Starcoms a 120 mile round trip .

    >Ah hard drives. Sorry, I forgot you DID say you buy locally "nearly
    >always". If the warranty has expired (and with the drop in prices of
    >most electronic equipment), it's often cheaper just to buy a new one
    >anyway.

    Warranties hadn't expired and yes I could have taken them back where
    they where bought from and they would have sent them back to Germany
    which would have caused a longer delay than need be. I have never had
    any computer equipment go down out of warranty I look after all my
    equipment .
    >Anyway, this phone is obviously not for you for a number of reasons -
    >it's foreign AND sold by Sipgate.

    Being foreign doesn't bother me in the least what isn't foreign these
    days I have two foreign make cars and I shall have a third tomorrow
    at this time . Some of us pensioners who have looked after our money
    all our working lives instead of going on expensive holidays and
    spending it on booze and running up credit card bills etc etc every
    week have got bags of money to spend on just about anything we want .

    , May 15, 2008
  11. cybuerke Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Being foreign doesn't bother me in the least what isn't foreign these
    > days I have two foreign make cars and I shall have a third tomorrow
    > at this time . Some of us pensioners who have looked after our money
    > all our working lives instead of going on expensive holidays and
    > spending it on booze and running up credit card bills etc etc every
    > week have got bags of money to spend on just about anything we want .

    Splendid man! Gissa borrow of a fiver, Ron?

    cybuerke, May 16, 2008
  12. mr deo Guest

    "Martin²" <> wrote in message

    > <> wrote in message
    > >I wonder if some very careless truck
    > > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back door
    > > and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,

    The truck was reversing...
    :p

    mr deo, May 17, 2008
  13. "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >I wonder if some very careless truck
    >> > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back
    >> > door
    >> > and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,

    >>Mr Deo:
    >>The truck was reversing...
    >>:p

    > See me after class for remedial physics !

    Seemed OK to me, have I missed something?

    Harry Stottle, May 17, 2008
  14. Ivor Jones Guest

    In news:jWyXj.39746$2,
    Harry Stottle <> typed, for some
    strange, unexplained reason:
    : "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : >> <> wrote in message
    : >> >I wonder if some very careless truck
    : >> > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back
    : >> > door
    : >> > and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
    : >>
    : >> M
    : >>
    : >
    : >>Mr Deo:
    : >>The truck was reversing...
    : >>:p
    : >
    : > See me after class for remedial physics !
    : >
    : Seemed OK to me, have I missed something?

    Yes, get in your car and drive until you reach 70mph, then slam on your
    brakes and see what happens..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 17, 2008
  15. "Ivor Jones" <> wrote in message
    > In news:jWyXj.39746$2,
    > Harry Stottle <> typed, for some
    > strange, unexplained reason:
    > : "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    > : news:...
    > : >> <> wrote in message
    > : >> >I wonder if some very careless truck
    > : >> > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates
    > back
    > : >> > door
    > : >> > and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
    > : >>
    > : >> M
    > : >>
    > : >
    > : >>Mr Deo:
    > : >>The truck was reversing...
    > : >>:p
    > : >
    > : > See me after class for remedial physics !
    > : >
    > : Seemed OK to me, have I missed something?
    >
    > Yes, get in your car and drive until you reach 70mph, then slam on
    > your
    > brakes and see what happens..!

    I once did that in a loaded Transit van, the back end swung around
    leaving me facing in the opposite direction, and if the back doors had
    been open, the contents would have been spread in an 180 degree arc, but
    that is not the point. If a truck was reversing at 70mph, and slammed on
    the brakes, the load could then shoot off the back as Mr Deo suggested,
    so I see no need for him needing extra remedial physics lessons, but
    more worthy of a gold star ;-)

    Harry Stottle, May 17, 2008
  16. mr deo Guest

    "Harry Stottle" <> wrote in message
    > > I once did that in a loaded Transit van, the back end swung around

    > leaving me facing in the opposite direction, and if the back doors had
    > been open, the contents would have been spread in an 180 degree arc, but
    > that is not the point. If a truck was reversing at 70mph, and slammed on
    > the brakes, the load could then shoot off the back as Mr Deo suggested,
    > so I see no need for him needing extra remedial physics lessons, but
    > more worthy of a gold star ;-)

    *smiles* at his gold star

    mr deo, May 19, 2008
  17. Al Guest

    "mr deo" <> wrote in message

    > "Martin²" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <> wrote in message
    >> >I wonder if some very careless truck
    >> > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back door
    >> > and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,

    > The truck was reversing...
    > :p

    Or was a front loader and going forward........

    Al, May 24, 2008
  18. wrote:
    > On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:11:51 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> In news:,
    >> <> typed, for some strange,
    >> unexplained reason:
    >> : Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008
    >> :
    >> : Hi ,
    >> :
    >> : the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
    >> : preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:
    >> :
    >> : http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/sipgate/device_configuration
    >> :
    >> : Best regards,
    >> :
    >> : Udo Fritsch
    >>
    >> Ye gods, Ron - are you actually saying Sipgate are doing something
    >> right..???!!!

    > No I am saying nothing of the sort just passing on info that I thought
    > may just be useful to some people and I still think more than ever now
    > that something is not quite right somehow regarding these phones.
    > Come on Ivor these phones where around £ 40.00 more expensive than the
    > UTStarcom F1000 when I bought my Starcom over 12 months ago and nither
    > the Starcom or the Pirelli haven't dropped much in price over the
    > months from other sources .

    The French ISP Free-Iliad started selling them for 200 euros over two
    years ago, coupled with an automatic configuring service. A year ago it
    dropped the price to 120 euros. They're still on its web site for that
    price. There's a pretty active user community for those who can read
    French at http://www.freephonie.org/support-materiels-vf26.html

    Salvador Freemanson, Jun 5, 2008
  19. Guest

    On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:47:11 +0200, Salvador Freemanson
    <> wrote:

    >The French ISP Free-Iliad started selling them for 200 euros over two
    >years ago, coupled with an automatic configuring service. A year ago it
    >dropped the price to 120 euros.

    And more expensive than the offering from Sipgate.

    , Jun 5, 2008