For Those Who Don’t Believe IPv4 Addresses Are Running Out ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 1, 2010.

  1. .... they are
    <http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/12/global-pool-of-ipv4-addresses-set-to-run-dry-in-weeks.ars>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 1, 2010

  2. In message <>, Bret wrote:

    > I'm sure they can manage the space better.

    They already are.

    > But there is also class B and class C space, which doesn't consist of
    > monolithic /8 blocks. In that class B and C legacy space, there are
    > actually 128 million unused addresses hiding

    None of which can be freed in time.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 2, 2010

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bret <> wrote in news::

    > In that class B and C legacy space, there are
    > actually 128 million unused addresses hiding

    They are not unused.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 2, 2010
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Bret <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 2 Dec 2010 06:51:47 +0000 (UTC), Dave Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Bret <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> In that class B and C legacy space, there are
    >>> actually 128 million unused addresses hiding
    >>>

    >> They are not unused.

    > That was a quote from the site, can you explain why they are "used".

    Have you set up a sniffer on un-natted internet and listened to bogons?
    People have and when 1.1.1.1 was released all hell broke out ( in a
    controlled manner), let alone the class C stuff that should not be out
    there but is.

    Here is a link:
    http://labs.ripe.net/Members/franz/content-pollution-18

    They are reserved for a reason; the rules make the internet work as we know
    it.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Dec 3, 2010