For those needing an insane amount of disk space

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Sep 11, 2009.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    So assume a 6 port on board sata controller, 6 of these and 30 x 2Tb
    disks....

    48Tb usable with hware raid....if you did software raid....R5(9+1),
    54Tb....

    http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=740-93

    Now that is insane.

    but oh so cheap.....in terms of per TB...physical storage of those
    disks would be an issue of course...and the psu(s) to get them to spin
    up.....

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 11, 2009

  2. thingy

    Simon Guest

    On Sep 11, 2:56 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    > So assume a 6 port on board sata controller, 6 of these and 30 x 2Tb
    > disks....
    >
    > 48Tb usable with hware raid....if you did software raid....R5(9+1),
    > 54Tb....
    >
    > http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=740-93
    >
    > Now that is insane.
    >
    > but oh so cheap.....in terms of per TB...physical storage of those
    > disks would be an issue of course...and the psu(s) to get them to spin
    > up.....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > thing

    Pretty cool product! It'd be interesting to see the real-world IO
    performance that would result based on the config you've outlined
    above.

    Simon, Sep 11, 2009

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    On Sep 11, 3:39 pm, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Sep 11, 2:56 pm, thingy <> wrote:
    >

    > > So assume a 6 port on board sata controller, 6 of these and 30 x 2Tb
    > > disks....

    > > 48Tb usable with hware raid....if you did software raid....R5(9+1),
    > > 54Tb....

    > >http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=740-93

    > > Now that is insane.

    > > but oh so cheap.....in terms of per TB...physical storage of those
    > > disks would be an issue of course...and the psu(s) to get them to spin
    > > up.....

    > > regards

    > > thing

    > Pretty cool product! It'd be interesting to see the real-world IO
    > performance that would result based on the config you've outlined
    > above.

    Effectively its one hugh stripe....Raid0((R5(4+1)+(R5(4+1)+(R5(4+1)+(R5
    (4+1)+(R5(4+1)+(R5(4+1))

    A lot of spindles...but, yes I wouldnt be surprised if its fairly
    slow...but it depends on its use...if you just want storage.

    regards

    thingy, Sep 11, 2009
  4. thingy

    Richard Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > So assume a 6 port on board sata controller, 6 of these and 30 x 2Tb
    > disks....
    >
    > 48Tb usable with hware raid....if you did software raid....R5(9+1),
    > 54Tb....
    >
    > http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=740-93
    >
    > Now that is insane.
    >
    > but oh so cheap.....in terms of per TB...physical storage of those
    > disks would be an issue of course...and the psu(s) to get them to spin
    > up.....

    My experiance with port multipliers was not a positive one.

    Ended up with 4 esata to sata cables going in the hole the port
    multiplier left in the case and 2 2 port esata cards. It seems that
    thrashing access to one disk leaves access to the other one very very
    laggy, moreso then I would expect. MP3 playback off one disk would
    stutter and break up when copying video files between another disk on
    the multiplier.

    Richard, Sep 12, 2009
  5. On 16 Sep 2009 18:00:46 +1200, vitw wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 19:56:44 -0700, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> 48Tb usable with hware raid....if you did software raid....R5(9+1),
    >> 54Tb....
    >>
    >> http://www.pcssl.co.nz/productdetails.aspx?cmd=740-93
    >>
    >> Now that is insane.
    >>
    >> but oh so cheap.....in terms of per TB...physical storage of those disks
    >> would be an issue of course...and the psu(s) to get them to spin up.....

    > What's the bet that in 2016, Microsoft's "Windows Nebula" OS will need at
    > least 18TB to install!

    And there will still only be 12 people in the world using Linux

    Robin Halligan, Sep 17, 2009