For those interested in os news

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by impossible, Oct 8, 2009.

  1. impossible

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Oct 8, 2009

  2. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "vitw" <> wrote in message
    news:4acd694a$...
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:03:16 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Linux usage is down for thew 5th consecutive month.
    >>
    >> Windows 7 already tops Linux. How depressing that must be for the
    >> fanboys!
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    LOL.

    impossible, Oct 8, 2009

  3. impossible

    Sailor Sam Guest

    vitw wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:03:16 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> Linux usage is down for thew 5th consecutive month.
    >>
    >> Windows 7 already tops Linux. How depressing that must be for the
    >> fanboys!
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    I've always thought of that as a killer app.

    Sailor Sam, Oct 8, 2009
  4. impossible

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:50:12 +1300, Sailor Sam wrote:

    >> What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.
    >>

    > I've always thought of that as a killer app.

    [Groan!]

    That was bad! ;o)

    Carnations, Oct 8, 2009
  5. impossible

    Carnations Guest

    On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:03:16 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > Linux usage is down for thew 5th consecutive month.
    >
    > Windows 7 already tops Linux.

    That's good because it will keep the idiots using the toy OS (Windows) and the Malware mongers will
    continue to target the easiest platform with the dumbest most gullible users.

    While I like an OS with a pretty GUI I also want an OS that is powerful and that does what its told
    instead of back-chatting with "Are you sure?"

    Hell yeah! If I login as root and want to delete the kernel I don't want the OS whining at me "Are you
    sure?"

    Hell yeah! If I login as root and want to use the following command "rm -r -f *.*" I don't want the OS
    annoyingly bleating "Are you sure?" (kiddies ask your parents first unless you're serious about really
    *really* making them angry as that command will trash _everything_ in the file system - and in the NFS
    shares.

    Carnations, Oct 8, 2009
  6. impossible

    impossible Guest

    "Carnations" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:03:16 +0000, impossible wrote:

    Linux usage is down for thew 5th consecutive month.

    Windows 7 already tops Linux. How depressing that must be for the fanboys!

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php>

    > That's good because it will keep the idiots using the toy OS (Windows) and
    > the Malware mongers will
    > continue to target the easiest platform with the dumbest most gullible
    > users.
    >
    > While I like an OS with a pretty GUI I also want an OS that is powerful
    > and that does what its told
    > instead of back-chatting with "Are you sure?"

    Easy now! This isn't sex, for heaven's sake -- it's just computing. The
    confusion about this within the nixophiliac community perhaps explains the
    declining rates of usage.

    impossible, Oct 8, 2009
  7. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:30:56 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 03:03:16 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >

    > Hell yeah! If I login as root and want to use the following command "rm
    > -r -f *.*" I don't want the OS annoyingly bleating "Are you sure?"
    > (kiddies ask your parents first unless you're serious about really
    > *really* making them angry as that command will trash _everything_ in
    > the file system - and in the NFS shares.

    So we can take that as a no to Microsoft dying any time soon cuppapeee

    Biggless.

    Biggless, Oct 17, 2009
  8. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:23:38 +1200, vitw wrote:

    >snip

    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    > What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    Its in its death throes ... and thats a damn shame ..

    Biggles

    Biggless, Oct 17, 2009
  9. impossible

    Enkidu Guest

    Biggless wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:23:38 +1200, vitw wrote:
    >
    >> snip

    >>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    >> What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    > Its in its death throes ... and thats a damn shame ..

    Death throes? ReiserFS? You know that the lead developer and evangelist
    for ReiserFS is in gaol for murder, don't you? ReiserFS - the killer
    filesystem.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Oct 17, 2009
  10. impossible

    Carnations Guest

    On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:31:58 +0000, Biggless wrote:

    >> Hell yeah! If I login as root and want to use the following command "rm
    >> -r -f *.*" I don't want the OS annoyingly bleating "Are you sure?"
    >> (kiddies ask your parents first unless you're serious about really
    >> *really* making them angry as that command will trash _everything_ in
    >> the file system - and in the NFS shares.

    > So we can take that as a no to Microsoft dying any time soon

    Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless idiots.

    Carnations, Oct 18, 2009
  11. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-17, Biggless <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:23:38 +1200, vitw wrote:
    >
    >>snip

    >>> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    >> What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    > Its in its death throes ... and thats a damn shame ..

    No. Ms windows needs to become nothing more that a peer $ wise

    Gordon, Oct 18, 2009
  12. impossible

    John Little Guest

    On Oct 18, 12:52 pm, Carnations <> wrote:

    > Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless idiots.

    No, it's much worse than that - Microsoft turns people into clueless
    idiots. Witness, ahem, some in this newsgroup.
    ;)

    Regards, John

    John Little, Oct 18, 2009
  13. impossible

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-10-17, Enkidu <> wrote:
    > Biggless wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:23:38 +1200, vitw wrote:
    >>
    >>> snip

    >>> What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    >> Its in its death throes ... and thats a damn shame ..

    >> Death throes? ReiserFS? You know that the lead developer and evangelist

    > for ReiserFS is in gaol for murder, don't you? ReiserFS - the killer
    > filesystem.

    Showing ones age. A typo of goal, gives us gaol. Somewhere the language
    went, FFS, jail will do.

    There is a fine line between a genius and madperson. Also many people who
    have killed another human are alive, and giving back to the community they
    live in.

    Finally, we all make mistakes.

    Gordon, Oct 18, 2009
  14. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:23:56 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Biggless wrote:
    >> On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 17:23:38 +1200, vitw wrote:
    >>
    >>> snip

    >>> What depresses me is that ReiserFS development has slowed.

    >> Its in its death throes ... and thats a damn shame ..
    >>

    > Death throes? ReiserFS? You know that the lead developer and evangelist
    > for ReiserFS is in gaol for murder, don't you? ReiserFS - the killer
    > filesystem.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Yeah I know .. but it was still in its death throes prior to him doing
    that .. and yeah I believe its still damn shame .. that FS rocked..
    cheers

    Biggles

    Biggless, Oct 18, 2009
  15. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 23:52:25 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 09:31:58 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >
    >>> Hell yeah! If I login as root and want to use the following command
    >>> "rm -r -f *.*" I don't want the OS annoyingly bleating "Are you sure?"
    >>> (kiddies ask your parents first unless you're serious about really
    >>> *really* making them angry as that command will trash _everything_ in
    >>> the file system - and in the NFS shares.

    >> So we can take that as a no to Microsoft dying any time soon

    > Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless idiots.

    So your claim that MS was dying was what ..... just clueless

    Biggles.........................

    Biggless, Oct 18, 2009
  16. impossible

    Carnations Guest

    On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:38:00 +0000, Biggless wrote:

    >>> So we can take that as a no to Microsoft dying any time soon

    >> Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless idiots.

    > So your claim that MS was dying was what ..... just clueless

    I have never claimed that Microsoft is dying - certainly not anytime soon - it has too much cash in
    reserve to die in the near future.

    Like Asimov's first Galactic Empire in the Foundation "trilogy" it will linger on, and on, long after it has
    lost mind-share and power, and influence and ability. It will try with all its might to kill
    its replacement, and it will utterly fail; and will disappear much like those corporations
    disappeared who were themselves in the past obliterated by Microsoft.

    Microsoft is already showing clear signs of the direction that it is heading - see the following:

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/...er-backup-problem-blamed-on-roz-ho/#more-3877

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4245

    http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_risk

    <sarcasm>
    And we all know how Microsoft is the epitome of "innovation" and is on the cutting edge
    of design and functionality.
    </sarcasm>

    See here for a classic example of Microsoft's "innovation":

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/microsofts-pink-smartphone-could-rival-iphone-on-verizon/

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Pink

    http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10229093-75.html

    http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-pink-cellphone-blending-zune-sidekick-dna-at-ces-2009-2624322/

    Have fun reading. :eek:)

    Carnations, Oct 19, 2009
  17. impossible

    Carnations Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:48:34 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:38:00 +0000, Biggless wrote:

    >>> Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless
    >>> idiots.

    >> So your claim that MS was dying was what ..... just clueless

    > I have never claimed that Microsoft is dying - certainly not anytime
    > soon - it has too much cash in reserve to die in the near future.
    >
    > Like Asimov's first Galactic Empire in the Foundation "trilogy" it will
    > linger on, and on, long after it has lost mind-share and power, and
    > influence and ability. It will try with all its might to kill its
    > replacement, and it will utterly fail; and will disappear much like
    > those corporations disappeared who were themselves in the past
    > obliterated by Microsoft.
    >
    > Microsoft is already showing clear signs of the direction that it is
    > heading - see the following:
    >
    > http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/10/15/microsofts-pinkdanger-backup-problem-blamed-on-roz-ho/

    #more-3877

    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=4245
    >
    > http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9139459/

    Sneaky_Microsoft_plug_in_puts_Firefox_users_at_risk

    > <sarcasm>
    > And we all know how Microsoft is the epitome of "innovation" and is on
    > the cutting edge of design and functionality.
    > </sarcasm>
    >
    > See here for a classic example of Microsoft's "innovation":
    >
    > http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/28/microsofts-pink-smartphone-could-rival-iphone-on-verizon/
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Pink
    >
    > http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10229093-75.html
    >
    > http://www.slashgear.com/microsoft-pink-cellphone-blending-zune-sidekick-dna-at-ces-2009-2624322/
    >
    > Have fun reading. :eek:)

    And of course there is the situation with Microsoft Office Open XML and how Microsoft continues to
    game the ISO approval process!

    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2009/10/final-ooxml-update-part-ii.html

    Carnations, Oct 19, 2009
  18. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 07:48:34 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    > On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:38:00 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >

    >> So your claim that MS was dying was what ..... just clueless

    > I have never claimed that Microsoft is dying - certainly not anytime
    > soon - it has too much cash in reserve to die in the near future.
    >

    > Have fun reading. :eek:)

    Yeah you have been saying that very thing for years .. along with all
    the other clueless cola fan boys in here.

    If you had 4 legs they could use you as mahogany table and at least find
    a practical use for you ..

    Biggles ....

    Biggless, Oct 19, 2009
  19. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 09:59:04 +0000, Carnations wrote:

    >> On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 14:38:00 +0000, Biggless wrote:
    >>

    >> Have fun reading. :eek:)

    <boring snip>

    Torvalds calls Linux
    It is sadly true. Reason being, with Linux chasing after the desktop
    pie, more of linux distros are built with all kinds of gadgets that are
    more convenient for the totally clueless end users but are a huge drain
    on resources. It is really a time to rethink the direction of Linux.

    See even ol Linus has given up on the desktop ... the linux desktop
    doesn't make them any money .. the big iron is where its at for linux ..

    Plus you still haven't backed up any of your idiotic claims that MS is
    dying ....apart from spending all night using google again to find
    useless crap.!

    As Impossibles stats show Linux is the one dying ...!

    Biggles...

    Biggless, Oct 19, 2009
  20. impossible

    Biggless Guest

    On Sat, 17 Oct 2009 21:53:31 -0700, John Little wrote:

    > On Oct 18, 12:52 pm, Carnations <> wrote:
    >
    >> Agreed - Microsoft Windows is deliberately targeted at clueless idiots.

    > No, it's much worse than that - Microsoft turns people into clueless
    > idiots. Witness, ahem, some in this newsgroup. ;)
    >
    > Regards, John

    Ahem yourself ...

    Biggless ...

    Biggless, Oct 19, 2009