For those interested in mobile devices - Nokia 770

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by -=rjh=-, Aug 5, 2007.

  1. -=rjh=-

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Just in case some here hadn't heard...

    Recently Nokia seemed to have dumped their stock of superseded 770
    Internet Tablets on the market, instead of shredding them and turning
    them into landfill. (The current model is the much improved 800).

    Expansys HK had the 770s in stock a few weeks ago so I ordered a couple
    which arrived while I was away so I didn't get to play with them until
    yesterday. At the price, just absolutely awesome value, especially as
    these aren't available in Asia/Pacific.

    I paid HK$2180 for two delivered, which is about NZ$175 each! These were
    around $800 which made owning one (for me, anyway) pretty hard to justify.

    Browser is a little flaky (crashes often) and is also limited by the
    small screen, but everything else looks good - the extra screen space
    makes it better than my T3 for reading ebooks, displaying photos, video
    etc. Even does a good job of playing internet radio through the stereo.
    Plays my LAN streams and controls Slimserver just fine.

    The screen is just stunning, and the hardware seems quite well thought
    out. I notice they even have the latest firmware installed. The
    interface isn't too bad once you get used to it, most of the buttons
    have several modes and full screen is very useful. I think Nokia did a
    really good job considering this was the first such device they'd ever
    made. Maemo is quite a well designed interface given the screen size but
    the handwriting recognition isn't as good as Palm or PPC. The fact that
    this is running Linux is totally hidden from the user, and nor should
    they ever need to know.

    Uses standard Nokia phone batteries. Battery life is OK - a little over
    3 hours continuous use.

    There are quite a lot of resources on the net detailing how to hack them
    to enable the USB controller (normal mode is slave) which allows
    keyboards, mice, external drives etc to be attached which would make
    them a lot more useful, and I'm just starting to locate 3rd party
    software for them.

    Expansys are now completely out of stock, though there are still some at
    other retailers and on ebay (in fact, a couple of hundred listings last
    time I looked). If you're interested in this kind of gear, it is well
    worth the effort to locate one at this price.

    -=rjh=-, Aug 5, 2007

  2. -=rjh=- wrote:

    > I paid HK$2180 for two delivered, which is about NZ$175 each! These were
    > around $800 which made owning one (for me, anyway) pretty hard to justify.
    >
    > Browser is a little flaky (crashes often) and is also limited by the
    > small screen, but everything else looks good - the extra screen space
    > makes it better than my T3 for reading ebooks, displaying photos, video
    > etc. Even does a good job of playing internet radio through the stereo.
    > Plays my LAN streams and controls Slimserver just fine.

    That's a pretty good price, they were selling them in Europe for around
    €125.

    Jason Fanning, Aug 5, 2007