    ....nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...

    what does it stand for?

    Oh never mind.

    Rudy Lopez, Oct 7, 2004

  2. Rudy Lopez

    GWB Guest

    "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >
    > ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >
    > what does it stand for?
    >

    > Oh never mind.

    There is no official description for the acronym

    GWB, Oct 7, 2004

  3. "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    > DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >
    > ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >
    > what does it stand for?

    From the best source for information on the DVD standard on the internet -
    http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.1
    [1.1.1] What do the letters DVD stand for?
    All of the following have been proposed as the words behind the letters DVD.

    a.. Delayed, very delayed (referring to the many late releases of DVD
    formats)
    b.. Diversified, very diversified (referring to the proliferation of
    recordable formats and other spinoffs)
    c.. Digital venereal disease (referring to piracy and copying of DVDs)
    d.. Dead, very dead (from naysayers who predicted DVD would never take
    off)
    e.. Digital video disc (the original meaning proposed by some of DVD's
    creators)
    f.. Digital versatile disc (a meaning later proposed by some of DVD's
    creators)
    g.. Nothing
    And the official answer is? "Nothing." The original acronym came from
    "digital video disc." Some members of the DVD Forum (see 6.1) tried to
    express that DVD goes far beyond video by retrofitting the painfully
    contorted phrase "digital versatile disc," but this has never been
    officially accepted by the DVD Forum as a whole. The DVD Forum decreed in
    1999 that DVD, as an international standard, is simply three letters. After
    all, how many people ask what VHS stands for? (Guess what, no one agrees on
    that one either.)

    Patrick Michael, Oct 7, 2004
  4. Rudy Lopez

    Volund Guest

    "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    > DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >
    > ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >
    > what does it stand for?
    >

    > Oh never mind.

    Dont Video Dallas!!! youll ruin the machine, now get back inthe kitchen
    woman...!!1

    Volund, Oct 7, 2004
  5. Rudy Lopez

    TechGeekPro Guest

    On Oct 6, 2004 at 7:40pm "Rudy Lopez" blathered:

    > DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >
    > ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >
    > what does it stand for?
    >

    > Oh never mind.

    Who cares?

    --
    TechGeekPro, MCNGP #36
    MCNGP.com - We're here to help!

    TechGeekPro, Oct 7, 2004
  6. On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 23:40:32 GMT, (Rudy Lopez)
    wrote:

    >DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...

    So it's Dumb, Very Dumb, to refer to it as such?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Rudy Lopez

    poorspeller Guest

    "GWB" <> wrote in message

    > "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    >> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >>
    >> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >>
    >> what does it stand for?
    >>

    >> Oh never mind.

    > There is no official description for the acronym

    Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    anyway...

    davemeek

    poorspeller, Oct 9, 2004
  8. "poorspeller" <> wrote in message

    > "GWB" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    > >> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    > >>
    > >> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    > >>
    > >> what does it stand for?
    > >>

    > >> Oh never mind.

    > > There is no official description for the acronym
    > >

    > Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    > anyway...

    Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?

    What makes up an umpteenth?

    Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

    Capt. Beefheart, Oct 9, 2004
  9. On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:07:00 -0500, "Capt. Beefheart"
    <> wrote:

    >"poorspeller" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "GWB" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message

    >> > There is no official description for the acronym
    >> >

    >> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    >> anyway...

    >Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    >I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    >Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >
    >What makes up an umpteenth?
    >
    >Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    >Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

    It's divisible by "norteen".

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 9, 2004
  10. Rudy Lopez

    poorspeller Guest

    "Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:07:00 -0500, "Capt. Beefheart"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>"poorspeller" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> "GWB" <> wrote in message

    >>> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    >>> anyway...

    >>Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    >>I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    >>Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >>
    >>What makes up an umpteenth?
    >>
    >>Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    >>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > It's divisible by "norteen".
    >
    > Tom

    It is any prime number that is exactly divisible by the square root of 47.

    davemeek

    poorspeller, Oct 9, 2004
  11. On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:35:41 -0500, "poorspeller" <>
    wrote:

    >"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 04:07:00 -0500, "Capt. Beefheart"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"poorspeller" <> wrote in message

    >>>Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    >>>I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    >>>Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >>>
    >>>What makes up an umpteenth?
    >>>
    >>>Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    >>>Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
    >>>

    >> It's divisible by "norteen".
    >>
    >> Tom

    >It is any prime number that is exactly divisible by the square root of 47.
    >
    >davemeek

    What is the square root of 69?

    Tom

    Tom MacIntyre, Oct 9, 2004
  12. Rudy Lopez

    GWB Guest

    "poorspeller" <> wrote in message

    > "GWB" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message
    >>> DVD does not stand for Digital Video Disk...
    >>>
    >>> ...nope..it doesn't stand for Digital Versatile Disk...
    >>>
    >>> what does it stand for?
    >>>

    >>> Oh never mind.

    >> There is no official description for the acronym
    >>

    > Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    > anyway...
    >
    > davemeek

    By no official description I meant that there are several interpitations for
    the acronym DVD,but not an official one agreed on :

    a.. Delayed, very delayed (referring to the many late releases of DVD
    formats)
    a.. Diversified, very diversified (referring to the proliferation of
    recordable formats and other spinoffs)
    a.. Digital venereal disease (referring to piracy and copying of DVDs)
    a.. Dead, very dead (from naysayers who predicted DVD would never take off)
    a.. Digital video disc (the original meaning proposed by some of DVD's
    creators)
    a.. Digital versatile disc (a meaning later proposed by some of DVD's
    creators)

    GWB, Oct 9, 2004
  13. Rudy Lopez

    GWB Guest

    "Capt. Beefheart" <> wrote in message

    > "poorspeller" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> "GWB" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > "Rudy Lopez" <> wrote in message

    >> > There is no official description for the acronym
    >> >

    >> Then, it's not an acronym... not by the definition of the word 'acronym'
    >> anyway...

    > Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    > I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    > Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >
    > What makes up an umpteenth?
    >
    > Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    > Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

    I would assume umpteen is slang to describe a high number,just my thought
    anyways

    GWB, Oct 9, 2004
  14. Rudy Lopez

    > On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 13:35:41 -0500, "poorspeller" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Tom MacIntyre" <> wrote in message

    >>> It's divisible by "norteen".
    >>>
    >>> Tom

    >>It is any prime number that is exactly divisible by the square root of 47.
    >>
    >>davemeek
    >>

    > What is the square root of 69?
    >
    > Tom

    8.3066238629180748525842627449075

    davemeek

    poorspeller, Oct 9, 2004
  15. Rudy Lopez

    GWB Guest

    UPDATE...Re: For the umpteenth time!

    > Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    > I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    > Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >
    > What makes up an umpteenth?
    >
    > Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    > Any help woud be greatly appreciated.

    You Gotta love google :

    Meaning of UMPTEENTH
    Pronunciation: 'ump'teenth

    WordNet Dictionary

    Definition: [adj] (informal) last in an indefinitely numerous
    series

    Websites:

    Synonyms: ordinal, umptieth, umteenth

    GWB, Oct 9, 2004
  16. Rudy Lopez

    poorspeller Guest

    Re: UPDATE...Re: For the umpteenth time!

    "GWB" <> wrote in message

    >> Well that's all good but the big question is, how many is Umpteen?
    >> I have heard it before but just never have used or seen Umpteen.
    >> Can it be divided by 2? Is it a prime number?
    >>
    >> What makes up an umpteenth?
    >>
    >> Please excuse my ignorance on this matter.
    >> Any help woud be greatly appreciated.
    >>

    > You Gotta love google :
    >
    > Meaning of UMPTEENTH
    > Pronunciation: 'ump'teenth
    >

    > WordNet Dictionary
    >
    > Definition: [adj] (informal) last in an indefinitely numerous
    > series
    >
    > Websites:
    >
    > Synonyms: ordinal, umptieth, umteenth

    Huh... who would a' thunkit... the word 'umpteenth' has a synonym !!!?!

    davemeek

    poorspeller, Oct 10, 2004