For the Linux folks : Decent video editing software.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Mutley, Jun 1, 2005.

  1. Mutley

    Mutley Guest

    Mutley, Jun 1, 2005

  2. I've been mainly doing workflow-based stuff on Linux. One of my client's
    sites is <http://www.marathon-videos.com/>. If you were a participant at
    one of the events, you enter your runner number, confirm your details,
    pay by credit card, and a few hours later you have a personalized
    downloadable video including footage of you crossing the finish line.

    All the back end processing is done automatically on Linux machines,
    driven by XML-based templates.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 1, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    Mutley wrote:
    > http://www.mainconcept.com/mainactor_v5_linux.shtml
    >
    > "Buy once, use twice - unlock the MainActor v5 Linux and Windows
    > version with the same serial number"

    Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for
    home video editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most
    of the OSS alternatives are hard to get running. This
    one is $199 for full version, which is enticing...

    I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
    record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to
    I/O more formats, which is always useful...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 1, 2005
  4. Hi there,

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > I've been mainly doing workflow-based stuff on Linux. One of my client's
    > sites is <http://www.marathon-videos.com/>. If you were a participant at
    > one of the events, you enter your runner number, confirm your details,
    > pay by credit card, and a few hours later you have a personalized
    > downloadable video including footage of you crossing the finish line.
    >
    > All the back end processing is done automatically on Linux machines,
    > driven by XML-based templates.

    Cool. Was that you running the 2:07:49? :)

    I'm doing the Gold Coast half in July, so I wonder if
    they will have cams at that event...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Mutley

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
    > editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
    > hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
    > enticing...
    >

    > I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
    > record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
    > which is always useful...

    PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
    of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
    will have something usable.
    Dave, Jun 2, 2005
  6. Hi there,

    Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
    >>editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
    >>hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
    >>enticing...
    >>

    >>I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
    >>record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
    >>which is always useful...

    > PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
    > of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
    > will have something usable.

    Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
    kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
    no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
    available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
    or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 2, 2005
  7. Mutley

    Dave Guest

    On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:33:10 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > Dave wrote:
    >> On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 08:45:37 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Looks good. Linux lacks a full featured entry-point for home video
    >>>editing, akin to iMovie or similar, as most of the OSS alternatives are
    >>>hard to get running. This one is $199 for full version, which is
    >>>enticing...
    >>>

    >>>I use Cinelerra, but need to be careful which codec I
    >>>record to for importing into that. Mainactor looks to I/O more formats,
    >>>which is always useful...

    >> PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
    >> of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
    >> will have something usable.

    > Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
    > kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
    > no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
    > available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
    > or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

    It will be able to handle whatever gstreamer can handle, and with the
    recent pitdll plugin can handle win32 codecs as well, so it will be
    virtually limitless in codecs that can be used.
    Dave, Jun 2, 2005
  8. Mutley

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Jun 2, 2005
  9. Hi there,

    Dave wrote:
    > On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 17:33:10 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>Dave wrote:

    >>>PiTiVi look quite promising,pitivi.org, especially after watching a video
    >>>of the presentation on it at GUADEC. But seems like August until we
    >>>will have something usable.

    >>Interesting screenshot. Unless its a mock-up it looks to handle all
    >>kinds of codecs side-by-side...thats my main gripe re video is that
    >>no single program can import even a fraction of the various codecs
    >>available to create videos with...they're all very specific to mpeg2
    >>or Mjpeg A or something that none of the others use...

    > It will be able to handle whatever gstreamer can handle, and with the
    > recent pitdll plugin can handle win32 codecs as well, so it will be
    > virtually limitless in codecs that can be used.

    Sounds good. Cinelerra is my current editor, but its very fussy as
    to which codecs can be imported...its either AVI with JPEG/MJPEG
    compression or nothing for me, and I still need to convert to VOB
    after that using ffmpeg (which luckily blazes on my Athlon64)...

    Chris Wilkinson, Jun 2, 2005