    AntiSpyware still detects Claria products it now recommends that
    users ignore them--leaving them on the PC!

    http://pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0507.asp
    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2005

  2. On Sun, 07 Aug 2005 14:31:55 +0100, John Barnes <> wrote:

    > Interesting, FYI
    >
    > * The Microsoft Brand and Spyware
    >
    > Microsoft doesn't have a stellar reputation with a lot of PC
    > users, since Windows is often the fall guy for whatever problems
    > occur on their PC. Yet just when you thought Microsoft's reputation
    > couldn't go any lower, a credible rumor circulates that they may
    > purchase Claria. Yes, the same Claria that makes Gator, the same
    > one that sued PC Pitstop in 2003. Plus, although Microsoft's
    > AntiSpyware still detects Claria products it now recommends that
    > users ignore them--leaving them on the PC!
    >
    > http://pcpitstop.com/news/rob/rcheng0507.asp

    What planet have you been on for the last month.

    It's blatently obvious to anyone here, Microsoft does not care what their
    punters think, just look at the Zomax/TAP disaster, Microsoft are pretty
    happy just to let it be. Why should they also care, that we think them
    buying Claria is another PR Disaster??
    Mark Gillespie, Aug 7, 2005

  3. this is old. And MS has already announced that they are NOT buying Claria.

    --
    Please, all replies to the newsgroup.
    ======================

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005
  4. Christian Hougardy \(MS XP MVP\), Aug 7, 2005
  5. John Barnes

    John Barnes Guest

    But have they reversed back to the original recommendation to delete, or are
    they staying with the ' leave ' , not admitting the change was because they
    were considering the purchase. I don't know about you, but I resent it when
    I pay to have a site skip the ads and then have Claria insert their own. I
    use admuncher too, but some get by anyway. OAS are you doing the beta of
    AdMuncher, and did you ever hear back on the French site about the SATA
    drives being switched to 'safely remove hardware' drives with the BIOS
    update. Just curious.

    "Christian Hougardy (MS XP MVP)" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    John Barnes, Aug 7, 2005
  6. Definitely not earth.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa, Aug 7, 2005
  7. John Barnes

    Ted Guest

    They have been also talking to buy Adware, and considering
    making Adware to leave Claria spyware alone.

    >but I resent it when
    > I pay to have a site skip the ads and then have Claria insert their own

    100% on your side. Billy is a confirmed geek.

    Ted, Aug 7, 2005
  8. They haven't changed their recommendation, last I checked. But that could
    well have more to do with the _current_ policies of Claria. (Yes, I know what
    they have historically been, but there is significant evidence that they are
    at least making an attempt to be conforming.)

    Seriously, this whole thing is a pile of FUD.

    (BTW, I use FilterGate -- it has worked well for me. Even with Yahoo!, the
    bane of my existance. )

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 7, 2005