    Brian Guest

    What exactly is "flattened and rebuilt"?? Is it reformatting and
    patching? Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just curious.
    Brian, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Brian wrote:
    > What exactly is "flattened and rebuilt"?? Is it reformatting and
    > patching? Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just curious.

    flatten == formatting or deleting the system partition or least deleting
    all system binaries, overwriting the MBR and all boot sector with
    known-safe content

    rebuild == reinstalling the operating system, which of course leads into
    installing patches, proper configuration and verifying all potentially
    compromised data

    On using restricted user access or at least having checksums, this bogs
    down to verifying the integrity of system binaries, flattening the
    user's account and data, and recreating a new account for that user.

    BTW, do you know eMail is good for? Or what Google does?
    Sebastian Gottschalk, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Sebastian Gottschalk wrote:
    > Brian wrote:
    >> What exactly is "flattened and rebuilt"?? Is it reformatting and
    >> patching? Not trying to be a smart a$$ or anything, just curious.

    > flatten == formatting or deleting the system partition or least deleting
    > all system binaries, overwriting the MBR and all boot sector with
    > known-safe content
    >
    > rebuild == reinstalling the operating system, which of course leads into
    > installing patches, proper configuration and verifying all potentially
    > compromised data
    >

    > On using restricted user access or at least having checksums, this bogs
    > down to verifying the integrity of system binaries, flattening the
    > user's account and data, and recreating a new account for that user.
    >

    > BTW, do you know eMail is good for? Or what Google does?

    Thanks for the info.
    BTW I didn't order the side of "ass". Jerk.
    Brian, Jul 6, 2006
  4. Brian

    Todd H. Guest

    Brian <> writes:

    > Thanks for the info.
    > BTW I didn't order the side of "ass". Jerk.

    LOL...

    Simple, yet effective. Nicely played!

    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/
    Todd H., Jul 6, 2006
  5. Brian

    Nomen Nescio Guest

    Todd H. wrote:

    > Brian <> writes:
    >
    > > Thanks for the info.
    > > BTW I didn't order the side of "ass". Jerk.

    > LOL...
    >
    > Simple, yet effective. Nicely played!

    Indeed!

    Pity the talent and effort is wasted. Gottschalk's cranial rectumitis
    is as incurable as it is acute. :(
    Nomen Nescio, Jul 7, 2006
  6. Brian

    Brian Guest

    Todd H. wrote:
    > Brian <> writes:
    >
    >> Thanks for the info.
    >> BTW I didn't order the side of "ass". Jerk.

    > LOL...
    >
    > Simple, yet effective. Nicely played!

    ty
    ;)