    recommendation on brands/dealers?

    TIA,

    Dave
    Webkatz, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Webkatz

    Jimmy Guest

    "Webkatz" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > A couple of questions:
    > AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
    > the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
    > CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
    > recommendation on brands/dealers?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > Dave

    I would go with a CF at this time. Pricing, card availability, size availability, reader
    availability and reader costs are usually better for CF than for xD. Plus, you can leave the xD
    that comes with the camera in while using a CF (xD/SM/SD use a common slot). Since you are looking
    to purchase additional cards, I suggest you go with (2) 256 MB cards rather than one 512 MB card .
    If you have only the one card and it goes bad you are sh-- out-of-luck until you can get it
    replaced.

    Batteries were not mentioned, but you should have at least a couple of sets in reserve and a good
    charger. I usually have a set in the charger, a set in the camera, and a set in my pocket and still
    find this isn't enough power at hand sometimes. The Oly charger that comes with the camera is okay,
    but look for better faster chargers and higher capacity batteries. I suggest taking a look at the
    MH-C401FS charger http://www.thomas-distributing.com/charger_kits.htm It can shorten the charging
    time down to 100 minutes rather than several hours.

    Hope this helps. Enjoy the vacation!
    Jimmy, Aug 1, 2003

  3. Webkatz

    Charlie D Guest

    In article <>,
    (Webkatz) wrote:

    > AIR, the XD card is the new version of the SmartMedia card. So will
    > the cmaera take both XD and SM? Since the camera will take also take
    > CompactFlash, I would like to add a 256 or 512 CF card soon. Any
    > recommendation on brands/dealers?

    Not a new version of SM. Totally different and requires a different
    slot/reader. The XD is less than 1/2 the size of SM.

    The 5050 has slots for XD, SM and CF.

    --
    Charlie Dilks
    Newark, DE USA
    Charlie D, Aug 1, 2003
  4. Webkatz

    Polytone Guest

    Buy it for $524 from Buydig.com!

    Polytone, Aug 1, 2003
  5. Webkatz

    Jimmy Guest

    "Jimmy" <> wrote in message
    > that comes with the camera in while using a CF (xD/SM/SD use a common slot).

    Sorry, I should not have included SM.
    Jimmy, Aug 1, 2003
  6. Webkatz

    WebKatz Guest

    Just got back and wanted to say that the camera performed great over the
    weekend. I'll have to download the manual, becuase I have a ton of
    quesitions that the hard-copy documentation doesn't seem to cover.All in
    all - easy to use, great LCD, nice results.

    Dave
    WebKatz, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Webkatz

    WebKatz Guest

    > > Just got back and wanted to say that the camera performed great over the
    > > weekend. I'll have to download the manual, becuase I have a ton of
    > > quesitions that the hard-copy documentation doesn't seem to cover.All in
    > > all - easy to use, great LCD, nice results.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > >

    > The full manual is also on the installation disk that came with the

    camera.

    Thanks - so far I'd just plugged to camera into the USB and it was
    recognized right away. I hadn't even looked at the install disk yet.
    WebKatz, Aug 5, 2003