    corner.

    Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side and let me
    know what they are. Thanks.

    John Smith, Nov 30, 2003

  2. John Smith

    MrToad Guest

    John Smith <> Ran in the back door and shouted

    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    > know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    > degree angle.
    >
    > What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the
    > left most edge of the triangle?
    > Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge is
    > another corner.
    >
    > Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side
    > and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    Ever hear of using cardboard as a template?
    Even a piece of paper will do....

    --
    MrToad

    MrToad, Nov 30, 2003

  3. John Smith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    John Smith said:

    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to know what
    > the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree
    > angle.
    >
    > What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the left most
    > edge of the triangle?
    > Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge is another
    > corner.
    >
    > Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side and let
    > me know what they are. Thanks.

    Draw a line between the 2 points, divide it into 10 equal lengths, cut at the
    6th division.

    Brian H¹©, Nov 30, 2003
  4. John Smith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > John Smith said:
    >
    >> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to know
    >> what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    >> Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree
    >> angle.
    >>
    >> What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the left
    >> most edge of the triangle?
    >> Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge is
    >> another corner.
    >>
    >> Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side and let
    >> me know what they are. Thanks.

    > Draw a line between the 2 points, divide it into 10 equal lengths, cut at the
    > 6th division.

    Oops, before you get your saw out, redraw with 9 divisions, not 10.

    Brian H¹©, Nov 30, 2003
  5. John Smith wrote:

    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to know what
    > the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree angle.

    Got a graphics program? Some/most of the good ones will, when you draw
    a line, tell you its angle. Draw one that shows as 60 degrees. Print
    it. Transfer it to your stock.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2003
  6. John Smith

    Richard Guest

    Blinky! wrote:

    > John Smith wrote:

    >> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    >> know what the measurements are in cutting an angle. Assume we have at
    >>our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree angle.

    > Got a graphics program? Some/most of the good ones will, when you draw
    > a line, tell you its angle. Draw one that shows as 60 degrees. Print
    > it. Transfer it to your stock.

    Good idea. But what if you're out in the field and have only a hand saw, a
    ruler, and a pencil?
    Knowing that the height of the triangle is going to be 4 inches, what is the
    length of the base of the triangle?
    If the base length is also 4 inches, we know that will give us a 45 degree
    cut right?
    So to get 60 degrees, the base line length would be shorter yes?
    So what's the length needing to be?

    Richard, Nov 30, 2003
  7. John Smith

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:02:29 -0600, "Richard" <anonymous@127.000>
    scribbled:

    > But what if you're

    The subject says 'for math experts', it makes no mention
    of moronic, unemployed pedophiles.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Nov 30, 2003
  8. Richard wrote:

    > Blinky! wrote:

    > > John Smith wrote:

    > >> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    > >> know what the measurements are in cutting an angle. Assume we have at
    > >>our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree angle.

    > > Got a graphics program? Some/most of the good ones will, when you draw
    > > a line, tell you its angle. Draw one that shows as 60 degrees. Print
    > > it. Transfer it to your stock.

    > Good idea. But what if you're out in the field and have only a hand saw, a
    > ruler, and a pencil?

    I'd be screwed.

    > Knowing that the height of the triangle is going to be 4 inches, what is the
    > length of the base of the triangle?

    For starters, a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4", so you're already in trouble if you're going
    to use a math approach, as you'll be starting from an incorrect dimension.

    > If the base length is also 4 inches, we know that will give us a 45 degree
    > cut right?

    Yes, with base and alt the same -- not that those even-inch dimensions apply to
    a 2x4.

    > So to get 60 degrees, the base line length would be shorter yes?

    Or longer, depending on which vertex you wanted to be 60 degrees.

    > So what's the length needing to be?

    Dunno. Your limitations of what I have on hand don't include trig tables.

    I'll trade you that ruler for a compass. Don't need the ruler; could do this
    with the compass.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2003
  9. John Smith

    Cicero Guest

    "John Smith" <> wrote in message
    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to know

    what
    > the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60 degree

    angle.

    > What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the left

    most
    > edge of the triangle?
    > Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge is

    another
    > corner.
    >
    > Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side and

    let me
    > know what they are. Thanks.

    ===========
    On most ordinary wood saws you'll find that the front part of the handle
    is designed with both 90 degree and a 60 degree angles built in.

    Cic.

    Cicero, Nov 30, 2003
  10. John Smith

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On 30 Nov 2003 08:53:19 GMT, Blinky the Shark <>
    scribbled:

    > you'll be starting from an incorrect dimension.

    RtS started from a dimension of extreme stupidity.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Nov 30, 2003
  11. John Smith

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Blinky the Shark said:

    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky! wrote:

    >>> Got a graphics program? Some/most of the good ones will, when you draw
    >>> a line, tell you its angle. Draw one that shows as 60 degrees. Print
    >>> it. Transfer it to your stock.

    >> Good idea. But what if you're out in the field and have only a hand saw, a
    >> ruler, and a pencil?

    > I'd be screwed.
    >
    >> Knowing that the height of the triangle is going to be 4 inches, what is the
    >> length of the base of the triangle?

    > For starters, a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4", so you're already in trouble if you're
    > going to use a math approach, as you'll be starting from an incorrect
    > dimension.

    It is if it is planed.

    Brian H¹©, Nov 30, 2003
  12. John Smith

    anthonyberet Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:
    > Brian H¹© said:
    >
    >> John Smith said:
    >>
    >>> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need
    >>> to know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    >>> Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    >>> degree angle.
    >>>
    >>> What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to
    >>> the left most edge of the triangle?
    >>> Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge
    >>> is another corner.
    >>>
    >>> Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each
    >>> side and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    >> Draw a line between the 2 points, divide it into 10 equal lengths,
    >> cut at the 6th division.

    > Oops, before you get your saw out, redraw with 9 divisions, not 10.

    I dont think that will work anyway......... what you are describing would
    work along an arc but not where there is a straight edge involved.
    --
    You can't email me at the moment.
    Do you use filesharing networks? If so, please visit my online poll:

    anthonyberet, Nov 30, 2003
  13. John Smith

    Patrick Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    > know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    > degree angle.
    >
    > What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the
    > left most edge of the triangle?
    > Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge
    > is another corner.
    >
    > Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side
    > and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    I've come up with a ratio of;
    1 , 1.7320508075688772935274463415059

    i.e. one side is to be ~1.7 times the other side

    1|__
    ~1.7

    Patrick, Nov 30, 2003
  14. John Smith

    anthonyberet Guest

    John Smith wrote:
    > I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    > know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    > Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    > degree angle.
    >
    > What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the
    > left most edge of the triangle?
    > Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge
    > is another corner.
    >
    > Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side
    > and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    Use this right-angled triangle calculator:
    http://www.ex.ac.uk/trol/scol/calrtri.htm

    If I understand you correctly the top right corner will be 6.93 inches above
    the lower left corner, measured along the length of the 2x4.
    The line between them (the hypotenuse) will be 8 inches.

    anthonyberet, Nov 30, 2003
  15. John Smith

    ve3mdn Guest

    This may be silly and not help. The easiest way to create a 60 degree angle
    is to draw a triangle with all sides the same. As long as it is large enough
    any side can be used as the base along the length of the board. If you want
    a 30-60-90 triagle use even numbers for the previous triangle anmd measure
    half way across on of the sides and draw a line to the opposite side.
    Basically just fold the previous triangle in half. If you want the math the
    side across from the 30 is 1 unit the side across from the 90 is 2 units and
    the side across from the 60 is 1.7321units (square root of 3).

    Eric

    ve3mdn, Nov 30, 2003
  16. John Smith

    Patrick Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > John Smith wrote:
    >> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    >> know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    >> Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    >> degree angle.
    >>
    >> What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the
    >> left most edge of the triangle?
    >> Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge
    >> is another corner.
    >>
    >> Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each side
    >> and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    > I've come up with a ratio of;
    > 1 , 1.7320508075688772935274463415059
    >
    > i.e. one side is to be ~1.7 times the other side
    >
    > 1|__
    > ~1.7

    Haveing seen 'anthonyberet' post, it appears that the hypotenuse is to be
    twice the length of one of the other sides.
    1|__b
    ~1.7 line ab=2

    Patrick, Nov 30, 2003
  17. John Smith

    anthonyberet Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Patrick wrote:
    >> John Smith wrote:
    >>> I have no access to a proper protractor to do this with so I need to
    >>> know what the measurements are in cutting an angle.
    >>> Assume we have at our disposal a standard 2x4 and wish to cut a 60
    >>> degree angle.
    >>>
    >>> What would the measurement be from the right side of the edge to the
    >>> left most edge of the triangle?
    >>> Assuming the top right edge is one corner, and the lower right edge
    >>> is another corner.
    >>>
    >>> Or if you have a 60 degree fixed angle guide handy, measure each
    >>> side and let me know what they are. Thanks.

    >> I've come up with a ratio of;
    >> 1 , 1.7320508075688772935274463415059
    >>
    >> i.e. one side is to be ~1.7 times the other side
    >>
    >> 1|__
    >> ~1.7

    > Haveing seen 'anthonyberet' post, it appears that the hypotenuse is
    > to be twice the length of one of the other sides.
    > 1|__b
    > ~1.7 line ab=2

    I am not sure that I visualised the OP's problem properly, however the
    calculator i linked to should solve his problem.
    If Angle B is the one to be 60 degrees (I at first used angle A), then the
    top corner would be 2.31 inches above the first and the hypotenuse 4.62
    inches.

    anthonyberet, Nov 30, 2003
  18. John Smith

    bb3 Guest

    > Blinky the Shark said:
    >
    > > Richard wrote:

    have at

    draw

    Print

    > >> Good idea. But what if you're out in the field and have only a hand

    saw, a
    > >> ruler, and a pencil?

    > > I'd be screwed.
    > >
    > >> Knowing that the height of the triangle is going to be 4 inches,

    what is the
    > >> length of the base of the triangle?

    > > For starters, a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4", so you're already in trouble if

    you're
    > > going to use a math approach, as you'll be starting from an

    incorrect
    > > dimension.

    > It is if it is planed.

    Not in the US.
    http://www.allexperts.com/previousqv.asp?QuestionID=3160186

    <snip>

    bb3, Nov 30, 2003
  19. Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark said:

    >> For starters, a 2x4 isn't 2" x 4", so you're already in trouble if you're
    >> going to use a math approach, as you'll be starting from an incorrect
    >> dimension.

    > It is if it is planed.

    2x4s are smaller than 2x4. How is planing going to make them larger?

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2003
  20. anthonyberet wrote:
    > Brian H¹© wrote:
    >> Brian H¹© said:

    >>> Draw a line between the 2 points, divide it into 10 equal lengths,
    >>> cut at the 6th division.

    >> Oops, before you get your saw out, redraw with 9 divisions, not 10.

    > I dont think that will work anyway......... what you are describing would
    > work along an arc but not where there is a straight edge involved.

    That's exactly correct.[1] That's why protractors are round.

    [1]Even with the nine sections to which he correcected this original.

    --
    Blinky - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Linux RU 297263
    [still no new sig]

    Blinky the Shark, Nov 30, 2003