For Cowboyz - Setting up Xandros kernel sources

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, May 5, 2005.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

    Set up system:

    1. Log in as administrator (root)

    2. Select Launch | Applications | System | Console

    3. Type "cd /usr/src" (without the quotes) and press Enter

    4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
    and press Enter

    5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes) and
    press Enter

    6. Type "cd /usr/src/linux" (without the quotes) and press Enter

    7. Type "cp /boot/config-2.6.9-x1 .config" (without the quotes) and press
    Enter

    8. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig" (without the quotes) and press
    Enter

    9. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 prepare-all" (without the quotes) and press
    Enter

    steve, May 5, 2005

  2. steve

    steve Guest

    steve wrote:

    > (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    > would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

    > 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
    > and press Enter
    >
    > 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
    > and press Enter

    Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need to
    add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
    (2.4.24)

    This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that any
    drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....

    There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.

    It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
    PC.... :)

    steve, May 5, 2005

  3. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:

    > (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    > would likely be '2.4.24-x1')
    >
    > Set up system:
    >
    > 1. Log in as administrator (root)
    >
    > 2. Select Launch | Applications | System | Console
    >
    > 3. Type "cd /usr/src" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    >
    > 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the quotes)
    > and press Enter
    >
    > 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
    > and press Enter
    >
    > 6. Type "cd /usr/src/linux" (without the quotes) and press Enter
    >
    > 7. Type "cp /boot/config-2.6.9-x1 .config" (without the quotes) and press
    > Enter
    >
    > 8. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig" (without the quotes) and press
    > Enter

    all went well till here.

    > 9. Type "make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 prepare-all" (without the quotes) and press
    > Enter

    this gives an error..

    make: *** No rule to make target `prepare-all'. Stop.

    I don't know if you saw my other post but I have already done some commands
    that looks like what you have here but a couple of lines different.

    Log in as Administrator (root).
    In Xandros Networks, install the kernel source package, which could be
    2.4.22 or 2.4.24. In Expert View, look under New Applications > base to
    find the kernel source package. For the following instructions, .24 is
    used.
    Click Launch > Applications > System > Console to open a console window.
    Type cd /usr/src in the console window and press Enter.
    Type tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2 and press Enter.
    Type ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24 linux and press Enter.
    Type cd linux and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 mrproper and press Enter.
    Type cp /boot/config-2.4.24-x1 .config and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig and press Enter.
    Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 dep and press Enter.
    Type cd /usr/src and press Enter.

    Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I compile
    the new object

    cowboyz, May 5, 2005
  4. steve

    steve Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I
    > compile the new object

    OK...then I'm lost. It's always worked for me on all my various systems
    here.

    But then I have not tried to compile the source you're compiling. I could
    have a go.....but I'm on kernel 2.6.9 (Xandros 3.0)

    You best ask in the Xandros user forums. Xandros tech staff hang out in
    there and they are very helpful.

    steve, May 5, 2005
  5. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    >> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

    >> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
    >> quotes) and press Enter
    >>
    >> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
    >> and press Enter

    > Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
    > to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
    > (2.4.24)
    >

    > This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
    > any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
    >
    > There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
    >
    > It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
    > PC.... :)

    i tried a make clean command and managed to get this...

    cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
    Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
    See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
    modules
    Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
    cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#

    I am ignoring errors right now with blind faith but it might work.

    cowboyz, May 5, 2005
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Type cd /usr/src in the console window and press Enter.
    > Type tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24.tar.bz2 and press Enter.
    > Type ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.4.24 linux and press Enter.
    > Type cd linux and press Enter.
    > Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 mrproper and press Enter.
    > Type cp /boot/config-2.4.24-x1 .config and press Enter.
    > Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 oldconfig and press Enter.
    > Type make EXTRAVERSION=-x1 dep and press Enter.
    > Type cd /usr/src and press Enter.
    >

    > Even still it complains about being version 19 instead of 24 when I
    > compile the new object

    Grasping at straws:

    ....and you're sure you didn't type one of those in wrong?

    That "=-x1" can be a tricky one if not paying close attention....

    steve, May 5, 2005
  7. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    steve wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    >> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

    >> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
    >> quotes) and press Enter
    >>
    >> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
    >> and press Enter

    > Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
    > to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
    > (2.4.24)
    >

    > This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
    > any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
    >
    > There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
    >
    > It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
    > PC.... :)

    YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...

    cowboyz, May 5, 2005
  8. steve

    Shane Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:30:47 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> (adjust the kernel source version number as required. Your version number
    >>> would likely be '2.4.24-x1')

    >>> 4. Type "tar jxf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9.tar.bz2" (without the
    >>> quotes) and press Enter
    >>>
    >>> 5. Type "ln -sf xandros-kernel-source-2.6.9 linux" (without the quotes)
    >>> and press Enter

    >> Note that where the file name doesn't have the 'x1'...don't feel you need
    >> to add it. It will be OK as above.....with your version number instead
    >> (2.4.24)
    >>

    >> This whole procedure adjusts the version stuff the compile uses so that
    >> any drivers you compile will be for your version.....2.4.24....
    >>
    >> There is more to it than that.....but that is the effect.
    >>
    >> It works....which is how I'm able to use the wireless card in this very
    >> PC.... :)

    > i tried a make clean command and managed to get this...
    >
    > cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
    > Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
    > See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
    > modules
    > Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
    > cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#
    >

    > I am ignoring errors right now with blind faith but it might work.

    thats just a warning about licenses, nothing more
    (in theory your system will have some poorly licensed components which
    could in theory lead to legal issues)

    Shane, May 5, 2005

  9. > YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...

    cowboyz / steve - would you mind documenting what you did on the WLUG
    wiki at www.wlug.org.nz ?

    Just think of a suitable page name, and add your notes in. Someone else
    will fix it if you do the wrong thing.

    Adding notes like this to the wlug wiki means that the next time someone
    else has a problem with it, they can be pointed at that page and have
    detailed instructions on how to do it.

    Daniel Lawson, May 5, 2005
  10. steve

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:46:05 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...

    Well done. That will probably be by far the most demanding thing you'll
    have to worry about.

    Personally I've never had to do anything like that in the last 5 yrs or so
    of using Linux, but the hardware has always been pretty boring run of the
    mill stuff - ie just plain old ethernet - no satellite, wireless, DSL,
    exotic RAID type stuff etc.

    It is one of the things that annoys me about Linux kernel development
    though. The inability to keep a stable ABI for drivers from version to
    version. Also the fact that 2.6 seems to be still gaining new features and
    changes instead of branching off a 2.7 version for that.

    The BSDs seem much better at the 'engineering' side of things, while Linux
    kernel development is all about the 'coding' stuff. I think Allan Cox
    alluded to this in a recent interview where he described Linus as an
    excellent programmer but a lousy engineer.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., May 6, 2005
  11. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    make clean command and managed to get this...

    >> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
    >> Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
    >> See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about
    >> tainted
    >> modules
    >> Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
    >> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#
    >>

    >> I am ignoring errors right now with blind faith but it might work.

    > thats just a warning about licenses, nothing more
    > (in theory your system will have some poorly licensed components which
    > could in theory lead to legal issues)

    Fantastic. After years of running all sorts of windows platforms on various
    machines I'll get snapped in a legal batte using a free OS.!! Thats quite
    funny if you think about it long enough.

    cowboyz, May 6, 2005
  12. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    Daniel Lawson wrote:

    >> YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite back...

    > cowboyz / steve - would you mind documenting what you did on the WLUG
    > wiki at www.wlug.org.nz ?
    >
    > Just think of a suitable page name, and add your notes in. Someone else
    > will fix it if you do the wrong thing.
    >
    > Adding notes like this to the wlug wiki means that the next time someone
    > else has a problem with it, they can be pointed at that page and have
    > detailed instructions on how to do it.

    sure I'll give it a bash. Might have to wait till after the weekend but we
    will get there.

    cowboyz, May 6, 2005
  13. steve

    cowboyz Guest

    cowboyz wrote:
    > Daniel Lawson wrote:
    >

    >>> YAYAY!!!! WORKING WORKING. Oh it is good to have the satelite
    >>> back...

    >> cowboyz / steve - would you mind documenting what you did on the WLUG
    >> wiki at www.wlug.org.nz ?
    >>
    >> Just think of a suitable page name, and add your notes in. Someone
    >> else will fix it if you do the wrong thing.
    >>
    >> Adding notes like this to the wlug wiki means that the next time
    >> someone else has a problem with it, they can be pointed at that page
    >> and have detailed instructions on how to do it.

    > sure I'll give it a bash. Might have to wait till after the weekend
    > but we will get there.

    It seems I jumped the gun a wee bit..

    ok. module loaded. connects fine. IP sets itself as 192.x.x.x and if I
    stop the sm200dxxxxx module then I stop recieving data so it is definitely
    coming through the satelite. Webpages load fast. download are pathetic.
    Now here is the tricky part. Ihug sucks at the best of times so it may take
    a few days to troubleshoot. Oh and by downloads suck I mean less than a k
    a sec.

    Just switched back to windows and downloaded a 11meg file I wanted in 2
    mins.

    back to xandros...

    cowboyz, May 6, 2005
  14. In article <HXtee.4035$>,
    Shane <-a-geek.net> wrote:

    >On Thu, 05 May 2005 22:30:47 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module# insmod sm200d_lnx.o
    >> Warning: loading sm200d_lnx.o will taint the kernel: no license
    >> See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted
    >> modules
    >> Module sm200d_lnx loaded, with warnings
    >> cowboyz2100:/home/cowboyz/sm200d/module#

    >thats just a warning about licenses, nothing more
    >(in theory your system will have some poorly licensed components which
    >could in theory lead to legal issues)

    There's a support issue. The kernel maintainers won't look at any bug
    reports produced from tainted kernels.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, May 8, 2005