For Canon users, please advise

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pelican, Nov 11, 2007.

  1. Pelican

    Pelican Guest

    Hello Experts,

    I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.

    I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.

    Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    Any idea?
    I am not considering anything except Canon.
    Thanks for help.

    Pelican, Nov 11, 2007

  2. Pelican

    Reginald d. Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    wrote:

    >Hello Experts,
    >
    >I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    >from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.
    >
    >I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    >full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    >decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    >I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    >1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    >to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    >working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    >2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    >of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    >3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    >4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.
    >
    >Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    >Any idea?
    >I am not considering anything except Canon.
    >Thanks for help.

    I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    camera that exists.

    Oh well. Your loss.

    I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    convince me of that though.)

    Reginald d., Nov 11, 2007

  3. Pelican

    frederick Guest

    Pelican wrote:

    > Hello Experts,

    Troll warning #1...

    > I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:

    Troll warning #2...

    > I am not considering anything except Canon.

    Troll warning #3...

    > Thanks for help.

    No problem, thanks for asking.

    frederick, Nov 11, 2007
  4. Pelican

    Pelican Guest

    On Nov 11, 6:07 pm, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Hello Experts,

    > >I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    > >from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.

    > >I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    > >full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    > >decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    > >I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    > >1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    > >to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    > >working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    > >2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    > >of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    > >3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    > >4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.

    > >Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    > >Any idea?
    > >I am not considering anything except Canon.
    > >Thanks for help.

    > I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    > it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    > harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    > and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    > It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    > you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    > all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    > also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    > the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    > camera that exists.
    >
    > Oh well. Your loss.
    >
    > I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    > convince me of that though.)- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks Reginald, but you know, I already offended many photographers
    by excluding all other brands other than Canon but my narrow view
    (perhaps commercial) can only permit Canon model as this company is
    around for so many years, they certainly know what they are doing but
    I surely agree with you that the stuff we ever wanted did not exist!
    P&S camera is not what I am looking for anyway, I already have one of
    those and I exactly know what it can or can't.

    May be, I still have to wait for an answer from someone who already
    abused Canon EOS 5D or better.:)

    Pelican, Nov 11, 2007
  5. Pelican

    Pelican Guest

    On Nov 11, 6:54 pm, Pelican <> wrote:
    > On Nov 11, 6:07 pm, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >Hello Experts,

    > > >I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    > > >from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.

    > > >I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    > > >full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    > > >decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    > > >I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    > > >1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    > > >to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    > > >working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    > > >2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    > > >of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    > > >3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    > > >4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.

    > > >Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    > > >Any idea?
    > > >I am not considering anything except Canon.
    > > >Thanks for help.

    > > I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    > > it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    > > harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    > > and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    > > It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    > > you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    > > all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    > > also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    > > the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    > > camera that exists.

    > > Oh well. Your loss.

    > > I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    > > convince me of that though.)- Hide quoted text -

    > Thanks Reginald, but you know, I already offended many photographers
    > by excluding all other brands other than Canon but my narrow view
    > (perhaps commercial) can only permit Canon model as this company is
    > around for so many years, they certainly know what they are doing but
    > I surely agree with you that the stuff we ever wanted did not exist!
    > P&S camera is not what I am looking for anyway, I already have one of
    > those and I exactly know what it can or can't.
    >
    > May be, I still have to wait for an answer from someone who already
    > abused Canon EOS 5D or better.:)- Hide quoted text -

    What the hell is this Fred? Only an one-track minded people can react
    this way...here is a dollar for you..go and play with your 1.3 Mega
    pixel Yamahochi and please do not bother others who are seriously
    after real information...

    Pelican, Nov 11, 2007
  6. Pelican

    Reginald d. Guest

    On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:59:43 -0800, Pelican <>
    wrote:

    >On Nov 11, 6:54 pm, Pelican <> wrote:
    >> On Nov 11, 6:07 pm, Reginald d. <> wrote:

    >> > I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    >> > it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    >> > harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    >> > and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    >> > It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    >> > you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    >> > all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    >> > also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    >> > the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    >> > camera that exists.

    >> > Oh well. Your loss.

    >> > I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    >> > convince me of that though.)- Hide quoted text -

    >> Thanks Reginald, but you know, I already offended many photographers
    >> by excluding all other brands other than Canon but my narrow view
    >> (perhaps commercial) can only permit Canon model as this company is
    >> around for so many years, they certainly know what they are doing but
    >> I surely agree with you that the stuff we ever wanted did not exist!
    >> P&S camera is not what I am looking for anyway, I already have one of
    >> those and I exactly know what it can or can't.
    >>
    >> May be, I still have to wait for an answer from someone who already
    >> abused Canon EOS 5D or better.:)- Hide quoted text -

    >What the hell is this Fred? Only an one-track minded people can react
    >this way...here is a dollar for you..go and play with your 1.3 Mega
    >pixel Yamahochi and please do not bother others who are seriously
    >after real information...

    No problem! Let me know how that dust and sand works out for you when you try to
    change lenses in that desert. Make sure there's a camera repair shop at the next
    oasis. Or when you get the slightest bit of condensation on that mirror and
    shutter mechanism so it freezes rock solid while near that glacier.

    Do TRY to enjoy your digital SLRs in those conditions. And I mean that. You're
    really going to have TRY to enjoy them. Because actually enjoying them is
    totally out of the question.

    You'll learn ... the hard way required for stupid people. :)

    LOL

    Reginald d., Nov 11, 2007
  7. Pelican

    Pelican Guest

    On Nov 11, 7:08 pm, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 23:59:43 -0800, Pelican <>
    > wrote:

    > >> Thanks Reginald, but you know, I already offended many photographers
    > >> by excluding all other brands other than Canon but my narrow view
    > >> (perhaps commercial) can only permit Canon model as this company is
    > >> around for so many years, they certainly know what they are doing but
    > >> I surely agree with you that the stuff we ever wanted did not exist!
    > >> P&S camera is not what I am looking for anyway, I already have one of
    > >> those and I exactly know what it can or can't.

    > >> May be, I still have to wait for an answer from someone who already
    > >> abused Canon EOS 5D or better.:)- Hide quoted text -

    > >What the hell is this Fred? Only an one-track minded people can react
    > >this way...here is a dollar for you..go and play with your 1.3 Mega
    > >pixel Yamahochi and please do not bother others who are seriously
    > >after real information...

    > No problem! Let me know how that dust and sand works out for you when you try to
    > change lenses in that desert. Make sure there's a camera repair shop at the next
    > oasis. Or when you get the slightest bit of condensation on that mirror and
    > shutter mechanism so it freezes rock solid while near that glacier.
    >
    > Do TRY to enjoy your digital SLRs in those conditions. And I mean that. You're
    > really going to have TRY to enjoy them. Because actually enjoying them is
    > totally out of the question.
    >
    > You'll learn ... the hard way required for stupid people. :)
    >
    > LOL- Hide quoted text -

    I am sure that I am quite delighted to spent some time with a very
    smart pal like you but personally I think you are just a bloody smarty
    ass....well you did showed a bit of your knowledge about all those you
    babbled about but, please. Mr. Photographer what would you take to
    piss off from here? Perhaps I should come and clean your toilet? Or
    clear our your gutter? Ha ha ha ha ha ha.....LOL
    Just play with your one cent P&S stuff and let us alone...

    Pelican, Nov 11, 2007
  8. Pelican wrote:
    > I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible

    Then why are you posting to Usenet? Usenet serves neither of those two
    requirements.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Nov 11, 2007
  9. Pelican

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Pelican <> wrote:

    > Hello Experts,
    >
    > I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    > from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.
    >
    > I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    > full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    > decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    > I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    > 1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    > to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    > working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    > 2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    > of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    > 3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    > 4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.
    >
    > Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    > Any idea?
    > I am not considering anything except Canon.
    > Thanks for help.

    Try posting your questions on the Canon camera forum at
    http://www.dpreview. You might also read the specs on Canon's web site.

    Shawn Hirn, Nov 11, 2007
  10. Pelican

    Dave Guest

    Although the professional models aren't necessarily better at taking
    pictures, they are better sealed and more apt to stand up to physical abuse.
    The thermal abuse you describe would probably be about the same across the
    board, mostly pertinent to battery life on the cold side.

    Facing travel like that, I would be inclined to bring two bodies so that
    if one fails you have a backup. Do you have a canon body that you are using
    now? The 1DMKII is going for a pretty good price now in the used market, so
    that would be one option. The 5D is also selling at a discount and that
    would be another, though you will have less reach with a full frame sensor.
    Both will be obsolete in a few years, but to get newer models would really
    jack up the price premium. Whatever you decide, remember also to bring along
    a hard drive backup system for your files.

    Dave

    Dave, Nov 11, 2007
  11. Pelican

    Ali Guest

    Maybe a 1 series body would be better for your needs as the bodies are
    sealed against moisture/dirt ingress (if you use it with sealed 'L' lenses.
    Maybe a second hand 1D Mk-II?

    If you are shooting in very cold conditions, I would look to see if it is
    possible to power the camera off an external battery attached to the camera
    on a cord. This way, you can keep the battery pack inside your coat, close
    to your body to help keep it warm. Something like a Quantum Turbo (although
    may only power 1 series bodies, I'm not sure).

    Shooting in a rain forest may also cause you other problems, such as the
    lens misting up due to the humidity. Not looked into it myself, but I would
    look for solutions in advance if it was me.

    Ali, Nov 11, 2007
  12. Pelican

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:07:45 GMT, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    : On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    : wrote:
    :
    : >Hello Experts,
    : >
[...]

    Which of those guys is the troll?

    Robert Coe, Nov 11, 2007
  13. Pelican

    Zaner Damon Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:48:34 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:07:45 GMT, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    >: On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    >: wrote:
    >:
    >: >Hello Experts,
    >: >
    >: >I need this information very urgently and as accurately as possible
    >: >from Canon users. Based on this, I will invest on it.
    >: >
    >: >I have Canon EOS 5D in mind for several obvious reasons such as price,
    >: >full frame, high resolution, high sensitivity etc. along with few
    >: >decent lenses such as EF 17-40 and perhaps an EF Telephoto.
    >: >I want to abuse this model as much as I can which include:
    >: >1) Operate on e very low and high temperature. Firstly, I am planning
    >: >to travel to Iceland and Greenland for photography. Can this model be
    >: >working perfectly on -30/-40 degree Celsius?
    >: >2) In couple of years, I also have a plan to travel to Egypt and parts
    >: >of Sahara where temperature can well above 50 degree Celsius.
    >: >3) Taking photos in rain such as rain forests.
    >: >4) Taking photos under moderately dark condition.
    >: >
    >: >Price difference is huge between regular camera shops and Internet.
    >: >Any idea?
    >: >I am not considering anything except Canon.
    >: >Thanks for help.
    >:
    >: I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    >: it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    >: harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    >: and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    >: It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    >: you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    >: all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    >: also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    >: the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    >: camera that exists.
    >:
    >: Oh well. Your loss.
    >:
    >: I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    >: convince me of that though.)
    >
    >Which of those guys is the troll?

    They both are, successfully, because you were stupid enough to bite on it.

    Zaner Damon, Nov 12, 2007
  14. Pelican

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:22:57 GMT, Zaner Damon <> wrote:
    : On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:48:34 -0500, Robert Coe <> wrote:
    :
    : >On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:07:45 GMT, Reginald d. <> wrote:
    : >: On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:42:06 -0800, Pelican <>
    : >: wrote:
    : >:
    : >: >Hello Experts,
    : >: >
    : >:
    : >: I could advise a camera model that would fit all those requirements. Including
    : >: it being housed in a 100% titanium body for durability in the most extreme,
    : >: harsh, and rugged of environments. But it couldn't make use of your old lenses,
    : >: and it's not a newer model, and it's not a digital slr design nor is it a Canon.
    : >: It's an excellent P&S camera. It also has more aperture and zoom range than what
    : >: you require or are used to. I've already taken over 120,000 photos with it under
    : >: all those adverse conditions and some you haven't even thought of yet. It has
    : >: also never needed any repairs. I'm not anti-Canon, I own one. For what I bought
    : >: the Canon for it does very well. I'm just relaying some facts about a better
    : >: camera that exists.
    : >:
    : >: Oh well. Your loss.
    : >:
    : >: I'm sure someone will advise some "acceptable" Canon substitute. (You couldn't
    : >: convince me of that though.)
    : >
    : >Which of those guys is the troll?
    :
    : They both are, successfully, because you were stupid enough to bite on it.

    Was I, indeed? And who the hell are you? I must have missed your appointment
    as moderator of this newsgroup. Forgive my transgression if your credentials
    truly are in order. Otherwise, buzz off.

    Bob

    Robert Coe, Nov 12, 2007
  15. Pelican

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 19:28:58 -0500, Robert Coe wrote:

    > : They both are, successfully, because you were stupid enough to bite on it.
    >
    > Was I, indeed? And who the hell are you?

    Most likely, Zaner Damon == Reginald d. == the usual plague of
    sock puppets.

    > I must have missed your appointment as moderator of this newsgroup.
    > Forgive my transgression if your credentials truly are in order.
    > Otherwise, buzz off.

    We should be so lucky . . .

    ASAAR, Nov 12, 2007