    Does anyone know of that?

    Regards,

    Curtiss

    W. Curtiss Priest, Aug 30, 2004

  2. W. Curtiss Priest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On 30 Aug 2004 10:46:36 -0700, in rec.photo.digital (W.
    Curtiss Priest) wrote:

    >The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
    >optical zoom

    No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
    your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
    For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
    attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Aug 30, 2004

  3. W. Curtiss Priest

    Brian Guest

    "W. Curtiss Priest" <> wrote in message
    > The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
    > optical zoom
    >
    > Olympus has a 10x optical zoom camera
    >
    > A friend said he heard there was a third party lens
    > that did 9x on the Canon A80 He said, then, one needed
    > to manually focus.
    >
    > Does anyone know of that?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Curtiss

    So, ya know, the tele-converters obscure the viewfinder, so you have to use
    the LCD only. It makes it tough for action shots or working in bright
    sunlight. I have a Canon 3x lens (3x lens, times the built in 3x lens, for
    a total of 9x) for my A60, and it works great, aside for the viewfinder
    problem.
    B.

    Brian, Sep 1, 2004
  4. Ed Ruf <> writes:

    >No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
    >your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
    >For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
    >attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

    And, in fact, teleconverters of this type often vignette at the wider
    settings of the main zoom, so you get less than 3X usable zoom range.

    What you can count on is getting *one* additional focal length, with the
    main lens at maximum tele plus the effect of the converter.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Sep 1, 2004
  5. W. Curtiss Priest

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 23:44:56 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital
    (Dave Martindale) wrote:

    >Ed Ruf <> writes:
    >
    >>No, the converter does not increase the zoom range, it remains 3X, from
    >>your above figure. What it does is multiply the focal length of the lens.
    >>For example if the camera itself is 35-105mm. then with the converter
    >>attached it is 105-315mm, still 3x.

    >And, in fact, teleconverters of this type often vignette at the wider
    >settings of the main zoom, so you get less than 3X usable zoom range.
    >
    >What you can count on is getting *one* additional focal length, with the
    >main lens at maximum tele plus the effect of the converter.

    Agreed and some vignette at all but maximum zoom, such as the Nikon
    TC-15 attached to my CP-5700. Which makes for awkward situations some
    times. Especially having been accustomed to a TC-3 on a CP-990
    previously

    Ed Ruf, Sep 1, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    (W. Curtiss Priest) wrote:

    > The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
    > optical zoom

    1) Who cares about 'times optical zoom' that does not define the amount
    of Tele. The A80 has a zoom range of 38 to 114mm, so the 1.75 increase
    would give the "tele" a reach of 1.75 x 114 mm = 200 mm.

    2) If you must multiply, the lens was 38 - 114 mm,
    The lens with converter is 66 - 200 mm
    Guess what, still 3 times zoom.

    3) If you use that lens, forget about zooming. If you zoom out, you will
    photograph the inside of the lens! So you will absolutely not get that 3
    times. On an A70 camera, you can use about half the zoom without seeing
    the inside of the lens ... so you might zoom 130 - 200 mm, but the
    corners of the photos will distort more when not totally zommed in.

    I have the Canon S60, and I am planning to buy the tele converter, even
    though it hs the same problems that I mention above. But I really want
    to be able to use a bit more tele ...

    Regards,

    Wouter

    --

    Wouter F. Wessels
    Gouda, the Netherlands

    Wouter Wessels, Sep 4, 2004
  7. "Brian" <> wrote in message news:<oQ7Zc.16829$>...
    > "W. Curtiss Priest" <> wrote in message
    > > The TC-DC52A gives a 1.75 increase, or 3 x 1.75 == 5.25
    > > optical zoom
    > >
    > > Olympus has a 10x optical zoom camera
    > >
    > > A friend said he heard there was a third party lens
    > > that did 9x on the Canon A80 He said, then, one needed
    > > to manually focus.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know of that?
    > >
    > > Regards,
    > >
    > > Curtiss

    > I have a Canon 3x lens (3x lens, times the built in 3x lens, for
    > a total of 9x) for my A60, and it works great, aside for the viewfinder
    > problem.

    Brian,

    Could you post the Canon model of this 3x lens so I can check
    if it might fit the A80 ?

    Thanks,

    Curtiss

    W. Curtiss Priest, Sep 6, 2004