For anyone who concerns about AF accuracy of DSLRs

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RiceHigh, Apr 28, 2006.

  1. RiceHigh

    RiceHigh Guest

    http://www.dphoto.us/forum/showthread.php?t=55

    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18307

    It's a great pity that Mishkin's website www.canondslr.com was removed
    owing to unknown reason(s). Now that only "slices" of his website
    remain in forum and search engine archives. Actually, Mishkin is a true
    measurbator and the first link above quotes a small important part of
    his website, where the technical statements made are all correct (at
    least to my best knowledge) and his concepts about CoC, DoF, focusing
    errors (for at film plane and subject side etc. are very clear indeed!
    He explains clearly also why DoF is simply 1.6X larger with a 1.6X crop
    factor and so on, in just a few short sentence! Amazing afterall and we
    can see how a talent knowledgeable person he is.

    If one has seen his complete website before, one must be astonished on
    how he carried out the focus accuracy test for its precision and how
    scientific it is with a very high academic standard but yet the setup
    is simple. It is not the kind of the "D70 focus accuacy test chart" (
    http://www.focustestchart.com/prevcharts.html ) experiment which IMHO
    is much loose (it is still a good quick tool, though). I think at least
    a mirror is required for the angle alignment like what Mishkin did for
    precise measurement.

    QUIZ: There are actually a big implication and an assumption which
    Mishkin hinted and made The assumption forms the base of most of his
    arguments (but then it was actually verified with his experiment
    results, btw). Do you know what are this implication and the assumption
    is? :-D

    RiceHigh
    http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

    RiceHigh, Apr 28, 2006

  2. RiceHigh

    bmoag Guest

    The H*** with Mishkin, whoever he is-- A Prince of a fellow? An Idiot?
    Somebody uses his name to market the worst computer memory on the market,
    but that is another rant.
    Don't shoot the messenger; the message is fundamentally sound.
    The fact is that the D70, an otherwise splendid machine, has a viewing
    system that, to be kind, stinks. It is virtually impossible to use reliably
    for manual focus so one is forced to rely on the dubious autofocus.

    bmoag, Apr 28, 2006

  3. RiceHigh

    colinco Guest

    In article bmoag says...
    > The H*** with Mishkin, whoever he is-- A Prince of a fellow? An Idiot?
    > Somebody uses his name to market the worst computer memory on the market,
    > but that is another rant.

    If it's memory then save it for "Mushkin"

    colinco, Apr 28, 2006
  4. RiceHigh

    Andrew Guest

    Ignore: SPAM