For Any Thunderbird Users

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bob, Jan 23, 2010.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hello,

    Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 Bit.

    For my e-mail, I use Thunderbird, the latest version.

    Everything works just fine, except for Sending Attachments.

    I can send, and receive (test messages sent back to myself, e.g.)
    any text or Excel Attachments. No problems.

    I cannot send any Attachment that is a shortcut pointing to a web page,
    etc. The Attachment link shows when I look in the IN box, but
    disappears when I try to open it up. Never shows on the very bottom of
    the screen, where incoming Attachments ujsually show.

    Have tried the options to send as Text, send as HTML, and send as both;
    problem still exists.

    I'm fairly sure it's a sending problem, as if I send it from gmail, it
    arrives and can be opened by Thunderbird fine.

    Any thoughts on what might be the problem ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Bob, Jan 23, 2010

  2. Bob

    Mike Easter Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I cannot send any Attachment that is a shortcut pointing to a web page,
    > etc.

    What is 'an attachment that is a shortcut pointing to a web page'?

    The other examples you named were attachment files. A link pointing to
    a webpage is a string of characters such as http://snipr.com/u62k9

    That link goes to a page in the Mozilla kb knowledgebase about Tbird -
    Send attachments as real attachments

    Internet Explorer has a feature in its File/ Send function to send 'a
    page by email' or 'a link by email' or 'a shortcut to desktop' which
    integrates a page's link with its email program.

    > Any thoughts on what might be the problem ?

    I don't yet understand what you are trying to describe. I pasted the
    link above into this Tbird news message.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jan 23, 2010

  3. Bob

    chuckcar Guest

    Bob <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > Using Windows 7, Home Premium, 64 Bit.
    >
    > For my e-mail, I use Thunderbird, the latest version.
    >
    > Everything works just fine, except for Sending Attachments.
    >
    > I can send, and receive (test messages sent back to myself, e.g.)
    > any text or Excel Attachments. No problems.
    >
    > I cannot send any Attachment that is a shortcut pointing to a web
    > page, etc. The Attachment link shows when I look in the IN box, but
    > disappears when I try to open it up. Never shows on the very bottom of
    > the screen, where incoming Attachments ujsually show.

    An attachment is an actual file. In the above case there *is* no file,
    just a shortcut to one. That makes it a link or a shortcut as it is
    sometimes know.

    > Have tried the options to send as Text, send as HTML, and send as
    > both; problem still exists.

    It's not a problem, it's a misuse and misunderstanding of the three
    aforementioned terms: link, shortcut and file.

    > I'm fairly sure it's a sending problem, as if I send it from gmail, it
    > arrives and can be opened by Thunderbird fine.

    In that case you're just including a link. Looking at the source of the
    message you will probably see there is no binary encoding and hence no
    actual attachment with gmail either. And because you're receiving the
    message on the same computer you sent the message with the shortcut
    works.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jan 24, 2010