Fooled Me Twice

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dale Randall, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. Dale Randall

    Dale Randall Guest

    I have an older Gateway 400mhz running Win 98 (formerly) connected to a
    high-speed cable ISP via a hard wired Linksys router.

    I recently downloaded the new, free Ad-AwareSE and ran it, clearing out
    about 140 items and placing them in quarantine.

    Next time I rebooted the computer, the internet connection was gone. I'm
    convinced it went with the Ad-Aware "cleaning" job, because the same thing
    happened to me a couple of years ago on another computer. At that time, I
    contacted LavaSoft and received a disk with some sort of a "winsock" file on
    it (I didn't keep it) and was up and running in short order.

    This time, I restored the quarantined items, expecting to get back on line,
    but was unsuccessful. And I did check to make sure all the connections were
    there.

    I've also reconfigured the LAN settings following the instructions I
    received with my router, but still no luck.

    Anyone have a similar experience or a recommendation as to how I might get
    this thing back up and running again, short of once again contacting
    LavaSoft?

    Thanks for the input.

    P.S.: For the record, I think I'll be going with SpyBot from now on.

    Dale Randall, Sep 22, 2004

  2. Dale Randall

    PC Guest

    "Dale Randall" <> wrote in message
    >I have an older Gateway 400mhz running Win 98 (formerly) connected to a
    > high-speed cable ISP via a hard wired Linksys router.
    >
    > I recently downloaded the new, free Ad-AwareSE and ran it, clearing out
    > about 140 items and placing them in quarantine.
    >
    > Next time I rebooted the computer, the internet connection was gone. I'm
    > convinced it went with the Ad-Aware "cleaning" job, because the same thing
    > happened to me a couple of years ago on another computer. At that time, I
    > contacted LavaSoft and received a disk with some sort of a "winsock" file
    > on
    > it (I didn't keep it) and was up and running in short order.
    >
    > This time, I restored the quarantined items, expecting to get back on
    > line,
    > but was unsuccessful. And I did check to make sure all the connections
    > were
    > there.
    >
    > I've also reconfigured the LAN settings following the instructions I
    > received with my router, but still no luck.
    >
    > Anyone have a similar experience or a recommendation as to how I might get
    > this thing back up and running again, short of once again contacting
    > LavaSoft?
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >

    > P.S.: For the record, I think I'll be going with SpyBot from now on.

    Try LSP fix from here

    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Cheers
    Paul

    PC, Sep 23, 2004

  3. Dale Randall

    Toolman Tim Guest

    >|I have an older Gateway 400mhz running Win 98 (formerly) connected to
    >| a high-speed cable ISP via a hard wired Linksys router.
    >|
    >| I recently downloaded the new, free Ad-AwareSE and ran it, clearing
    >| out about 140 items and placing them in quarantine.
    >|
    >| Next time I rebooted the computer, the internet connection was gone.
    >| I'm convinced it went with the Ad-Aware "cleaning" job, because the
    >| same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on another computer.
    >| At that time, I contacted LavaSoft and received a disk with some
    >| sort of a "winsock" file on it (I didn't keep it) and was up and
    >| running in short order.
    >|
    >| This time, I restored the quarantined items, expecting to get back
    >| on line, but was unsuccessful. And I did check to make sure all the
    >| connections were there.
    >|
    >| I've also reconfigured the LAN settings following the instructions I
    >| received with my router, but still no luck.
    >|
    >| Anyone have a similar experience or a recommendation as to how I
    >| might get this thing back up and running again, short of once again
    >| contacting LavaSoft?
    >|
    >| Thanks for the input.
    >|

    >| P.S.: For the record, I think I'll be going with SpyBot from now on.

    I don't believe the responsiblity for your problem is the AdAware program.
    You probably had something in your system that had modified your dialer -
    maybe some sort of hijacker malware. When AdAware removed the malware, the
    malware-modified connection no longer would run. I still recommend using
    BOTH AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy - usually once a week or more,
    checking for updates first. AdAware and SSD check for different things and
    may miss some things the other can catch.

    THEY went." ~Will Rogers~

    Toolman Tim, Sep 23, 2004
  4. Dale Randall

    Scrote Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:

    >> I don't believe the responsiblity for your problem is the AdAware
    >> program. You probably had something in your system that had modified
    >> your dialer - maybe some sort of hijacker malware. When AdAware
    >> removed the malware, the malware-modified connection no longer would
    >> run. I still recommend using BOTH AdAware and Spybot Search and
    >> Destroy - usually once a week or more, checking for updates first.
    >> AdAware and SSD check for different things and may miss some things
    >> the other can catch.

    Seconded
    --
    Twas a woman who drove me to drink.
    I never had the courtesy to thank her.

    Scrote, Sep 23, 2004
  5. Dale Randall

    Doug Guest

    I have to agree with Toolman on this one, exactly what it sounds like has
    happened, Ad-Aware is a good program, I have used it for some year or 2 now
    along with spybot and hijackthis..

    // Doug

    Doug, Sep 23, 2004
  6. Dale Randall

    trout Guest

    Dale Randall wrote:

    > I have an older Gateway 400mhz running Win 98 (formerly) connected to
    > a high-speed cable ISP via a hard wired Linksys router.
    >
    > I recently downloaded the new, free Ad-AwareSE and ran it, clearing
    > out about 140 items and placing them in quarantine.
    >
    > Next time I rebooted the computer, the internet connection was gone.
    > I'm convinced it went with the Ad-Aware "cleaning" job, because the
    > same thing happened to me a couple of years ago on another computer.
    > At that time, I contacted LavaSoft and received a disk with some sort
    > of a "winsock" file on it (I didn't keep it) and was up and running
    > in short order.
    >
    > This time, I restored the quarantined items, expecting to get back on
    > line, but was unsuccessful. And I did check to make sure all the
    > connections were there.
    >
    > I've also reconfigured the LAN settings following the instructions I
    > received with my router, but still no luck.
    >
    > Anyone have a similar experience or a recommendation as to how I
    > might get this thing back up and running again, short of once again
    > contacting LavaSoft?
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >

    > P.S.: For the record, I think I'll be going with SpyBot from now on.

    T.T. wrote pretty-much what I, also, would have said.
    Your connection settings were *undoubtedly* corrupted by a malware
    dialer which Ad-Aware removed.
    If you have the original disk, or access to one, you could try a
    System File Check. You very likely had a trojan that over-wrote a system
    file.
    If you can get the machine back online; I'd also recommend the use
    of *both* programs mentioned, as well (of course) as a good resident
    anti-virus.
    I'd add a double-check, especially if you're cleaning-up problems,
    with one of the many free online virus/trojan checks. One good example
    is
    "Search Google or the newsgroup for a full list."

    trout, Sep 23, 2004
  7. Dale Randall

    Dale Randall Guest

    Thanks much!

    Found it...fixed it...on my way.

    Dale Randall, Sep 23, 2004
  8. Dale Randall

    Buffalo Guest

    > Thanks much!
    >
    > Found it...fixed it...on my way.

    It most likely was caused by the removal of the new.net or webhancer
    product which had invaded and changed your system

    You might also try running AdAware in Safe Mode.
    You already know the 'fix' works, now get rid of ALL that spyware with
    AdAware and keep it going. Once that malmare is removed, you should no
    longer have a problem with AdAware.

    Buffalo, Sep 23, 2004