Fonts?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by °Mike°, May 12, 2005.

  1. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. °Mike°

    anOLDun Guest

    Lo All

    Anyone know where I can download a particular font..FOR FREE.....the font i
    am looking for is called "Hobo"...I can only find sites where you have to
    buy it.

    Many thanks

    D
    anOLDun, May 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #3
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
    #4
  5. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #5
  6. °Mike° wrote:

    > In <>,
    > Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
    >
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
    >>>http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip

    >>
    >>The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

    >
    >
    > Really?
    >

    Yes.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
    #6
  7. °Mike°

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > °Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> In <>,
    >> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
    >>
    >>
    >>> °Mike° wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
    >>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Really?
    >>

    > Yes.


    um, no, I believe Adobe licenses it from Linotype who got it
    from American Type Founders:

    "Hobo font was designed in 1910 by Morris Fuller Benton for American
    Type Founders."
    - http://www.linotype.com/8077/hobo-font.html
    Rick Merrill, May 12, 2005
    #7
  8. Rick Merrill wrote:

    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >> °Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>> In <>,
    >>> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> °Mike° wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>> Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
    >>>>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Really?
    >>>

    >> Yes.

    >
    >
    > um, no, I believe Adobe licenses it from Linotype who got it
    > from American Type Founders:
    >
    > "Hobo font was designed in 1910 by Morris Fuller Benton for American
    > Type Founders."
    > - http://www.linotype.com/8077/hobo-font.html


    I think the way it works is if they have it licensed, then they can have
    a copyright on it. Anyway, this is pulled from the first few lines of
    the .afm file included with the download:

    StartFontMetrics 2.0
    Comment Hobo-Thin-Normal
    Comment Creation Date: Thu Jul 25 17:36:51 1991
    Comment Creator: Corel's Wfnboss
    Comment UniqueID 4433407
    Comment VMUsage 20000 20000
    FontName Hobo-Thin-Normal
    FullName Hobo Thin Normal
    FamilyName Hobo Thin
    Weight normal
    ItalicAngle 0
    IsFixedPitch false
    FontBBox -33 -242 981 838
    Underline Position -100
    Underline Thickness 50
    Version 001.00
    Notice Copyright (c) 1990 Adobe Systems Incorportated. All Rights Reserved.
    EncodingScheme AdobeStandardEncoding
    CapHeight 779
    XHeight 601
    Ascender 792
    Descender -15
    StartCharMetrics 147
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
    #8
  9. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 18 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> In <>,
    >> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
    >>
    >>
    >>>°Mike° wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
    >>>>http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip
    >>>
    >>>The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.

    >>
    >>
    >> Really?
    >>

    >Yes.


    I was under the impression that the fonts for offer at hobbes.nmsu.edu
    were freely available. If this is not the case, then I regret posting the link.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #9
  10. °Mike° wrote:

    > In <>,
    > Rôgêr took 18 lines to utter:
    >
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>In <>,
    >>> Rôgêr took 6 lines to utter:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>°Mike° wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Having said that, look what I just found (it's in Type 1):
    >>>>>http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/multimedia/fonts/ps/hobo.zip
    >>>>
    >>>>The font you just posted a link to is copyrighted by Adobe since 1990.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Really?
    >>>

    >>
    >>Yes.

    >
    >
    > I was under the impression that the fonts for offer at hobbes.nmsu.edu
    > were freely available. If this is not the case, then I regret posting the link.


    I doubt that any real damage was done, but that's not a public domain or
    freeware font. I found it odd that it said in it that it was created by
    wfnboss, that's an old Corel font creation program that was absolutley
    horrible. But it was the only PC based font creation program that I knew
    of at the time that wasn't priced in the range of a new car.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
    #10
  11. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 38 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:


    <snip>

    >> I was under the impression that the fonts for offer at hobbes.nmsu.edu
    >> were freely available. If this is not the case, then I regret posting the link.

    >
    >I doubt that any real damage was done, but that's not a public domain or
    >freeware font. I found it odd that it said in it that it was created by
    >wfnboss, that's an old Corel font creation program that was absolutley
    >horrible. But it was the only PC based font creation program that I knew
    >of at the time that wasn't priced in the range of a new car.


    I have to wonder where the *real* copyright lies with this font,
    since it was designed in 1910, and there appears to be more than
    one claiming copyright -- surely there can't be multiple on a
    single item?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #11
  12. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    °Mike° took 24 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    >I have to wonder where the *real* copyright lies with this font,
    >since it was designed in 1910, and there appears to be more than
    >one claiming copyright -- surely there can't be multiple on a
    >single item?


    Addendum:

    According to this:
    http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm

    A creative work published BEFORE 1923 falls into the Public Domain.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #12
  13. °Mike° wrote:

    > Addendum:
    >
    > According to this:
    > http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
    >
    > A creative work published BEFORE 1923 falls into the Public Domain.


    I could be wrong, but I don't think Adobe Type 1 was published prior to
    that date. And if you go by the date that fonts (the actual character
    designs, not the computer file) first appeared, most of the fonts we see
    every day would be public domain.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 12, 2005
    #13
  14. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 13 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> Addendum:
    >>
    >> According to this:
    >> http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
    >>
    >> A creative work published BEFORE 1923 falls into the Public Domain.

    >
    >I could be wrong, but I don't think Adobe Type 1 was published prior to
    >that date. And if you go by the date that fonts (the actual character
    >designs, not the computer file) first appeared, most of the fonts we see
    >every day would be public domain.


    There's the crunch, though; who owns the copyright on any
    particular font style (not file)? If the copyright only exists
    on a particular computer file, then *I* could copyright a version.
    It is obviously a very grey area, one that I'm not qualified to
    argue about.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
    °Mike°, May 12, 2005
    #14
  15. °Mike°

    Willy Skass Guest

    On Thu, 12 May 2005 20:03:02 +0100, "anOLDun"
    <anoldun@invalid_homecall.co.uk> wrote:

    >Lo All
    >
    >Anyone know where I can download a particular font..FOR FREE.....the font i
    >am looking for is called "Hobo"...I can only find sites where you have to
    >buy it.
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >D
    >


    Here you go:

    http://www.abstractfonts.com/fonts/search/full_listing.htm?kw=hobo
    Willy Skass, May 13, 2005
    #15
  16. °Mike° wrote:
    > In <>,
    > Rôgêr took 13 lines to utter:
    >
    >
    >>°Mike° wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Addendum:
    >>>
    >>>According to this:
    >>>http://www.unc.edu/~unclng/public-d.htm
    >>>
    >>>A creative work published BEFORE 1923 falls into the Public Domain.

    >>
    >>I could be wrong, but I don't think Adobe Type 1 was published prior to
    >>that date. And if you go by the date that fonts (the actual character
    >>designs, not the computer file) first appeared, most of the fonts we see
    >>every day would be public domain.

    >
    >
    > There's the crunch, though; who owns the copyright on any
    > particular font style (not file)? If the copyright only exists
    > on a particular computer file, then *I* could copyright a version.
    > It is obviously a very grey area, one that I'm not qualified to
    > argue about.


    I think we discussed this sorta same matter a few weeks ago. In the U.S.
    (other countries are certainly different) you cannot own the design to a
    style of lettering. You can own the *name* of the font and copyright it
    as it applies to a style of lettering, but not the appearance of the
    font. In this case, Hobo -is- copyrighted. It may not really be Adobe's,
    but it says it is in the included .afm file. It may be that ITF or
    Linotype owns the copyright and Adobe licenses it.

    Others may not simply take your computer data file, rename it and call
    it their own. They can't even take any part of your computer file and
    reuse it. But if they make a font that looks exactly like yours but
    didn't reuse any of your work, they can legally use it, even copyright
    it as long as they don't use substantially the same name.

    It mostly boils down to a court decision that the letters of the
    alphabet are too universal, too utilitarian to start handing out
    ownership to individuals or companies. Even if they are your own unique
    design, as letters of the alphabet you cannot claim ownership to the
    appearance.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 13, 2005
    #16
  17. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 46 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:


    <snip>

    >> There's the crunch, though; who owns the copyright on any
    >> particular font style (not file)? If the copyright only exists
    >> on a particular computer file, then *I* could copyright a version.
    >> It is obviously a very grey area, one that I'm not qualified to
    >> argue about.

    >
    >I think we discussed this sorta same matter a few weeks ago. In the U.S.
    >(other countries are certainly different) you cannot own the design to a
    >style of lettering. You can own the *name* of the font and copyright it
    >as it applies to a style of lettering, but not the appearance of the
    >font. In this case, Hobo -is- copyrighted. It may not really be Adobe's,
    >but it says it is in the included .afm file. It may be that ITF or
    >Linotype owns the copyright and Adobe licenses it.
    >
    >Others may not simply take your computer data file, rename it and call
    >it their own. They can't even take any part of your computer file and
    >reuse it. But if they make a font that looks exactly like yours but
    >didn't reuse any of your work, they can legally use it, even copyright
    >it as long as they don't use substantially the same name.
    >
    >It mostly boils down to a court decision that the letters of the
    >alphabet are too universal, too utilitarian to start handing out
    >ownership to individuals or companies. Even if they are your own unique
    >design, as letters of the alphabet you cannot claim ownership to the
    >appearance.


    It boils down to a bad call on my part: first stating that it was a
    commercial font, and then providing a direct link to a copy...D'OH!

    --
    Bad Command: (A)bort (R)etry (F)ail (G)et beer.
    °Mike°, May 13, 2005
    #17
  18. °Mike° wrote:

    > It boils down to a bad call on my part: first stating that it was a
    > commercial font, and then providing a direct link to a copy...D'OH!


    You can't get away that easy. Confession is only the start. Next week,
    the Lab of Doom and Pepsi Cola.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 13, 2005
    #18
  19. °Mike°

    °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    Rôgêr took 7 lines to utter:

    >°Mike° wrote:
    >
    >> It boils down to a bad call on my part: first stating that it was a
    >> commercial font, and then providing a direct link to a copy...D'OH!

    >
    >You can't get away that easy. Confession is only the start. Next week,
    >the Lab of Doom and Pepsi Cola.


    Hah! I got a 'Get out of jail card' -- you said the 'P' word.

    --
    "Think young, drink young."
    ...just don't drink Pepsi.
    °Mike°, May 13, 2005
    #19
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Gunther
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,760
    Will Napier
    Jul 19, 2003
  2. ::spidernik::

    Absurd fonts... :(

    ::spidernik::, Nov 23, 2003, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    533
    dantu
    Nov 24, 2003
  3. pj
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    375
    Pascal Chevrel
    May 26, 2004
  4. Scoobie

    Firefox fonts in Linux

    Scoobie, May 31, 2004, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    863
    Gunther
    Jun 5, 2004
  5. Emily
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    1,548
Loading...

Share This Page