    (PS note the email address... if anyone else would like to add to our
    cause, please add to our honeypots by posting from any email address
    @yobank.com )

    Steve, Sep 18, 2006

  2. Steve

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Just had an earbashing from swmbo about the fonts I used on the website I
    > run for the local community - www.diamondharbour.org.nz - where all the
    > fonts in IE have just gone big. Seeing as I use both linux and ff as a
    > matter of course, all is fine for me. Now, I know all was fine last time I
    > checked in IE... has anyone else out there got a similar problem???
    >
    > I'd be interested in the reason for this font change, if anyone else has
    > noticed. Da boss says it was fine for sure this morning, and was probably
    > fine 30 minutes ago.
    >
    > Should I be getting on to iserve about this???
    >
    > Update - apparently stuff's stuffed as well :)

    View, Text Size.

    It's not unheard of to accidently scroll w' the mouse while the Ctrl key
    is pressed - seems the be the usual cause when I get nagged about it
    from clients.

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Sep 18, 2006

  3. Steve

    MaHogany Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 21:37:36 +1200, Steve wrote:

    > I'd be interested in the reason for this font change, if anyone else has
    > noticed. Da boss says it was fine for sure this morning, and was probably
    > fine 30 minutes ago.
    >
    > Should I be getting on to iserve about this???
    >
    > Update - apparently stuff's stuffed as well :)

    Sounds like "SWMBO" has altered a setting within M$IE.

    Firstly, IE is not capable of rendering point sizes correctly on the CRT,
    and specifying fonts by pixels is too restricting for websites to be
    variable on variable monitor sizes.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."

    MaHogany, Sep 18, 2006
  4. Steve

    Stuart Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > It's not unheard of to accidently scroll w' the mouse while the Ctrl key
    > is pressed - seems the be the usual cause when I get nagged about it
    > from clients.

    Seems like a reasonable explanation for what happened here -- the site looks
    fine to me in both FF and IE6 on XP.

    The OP may find http://browsershots.org/ useful: it lets you see what your
    page looks like (screenshots) in a variety of browser and platforms. It's
    under pretty heavy pressure though, so figure on waiting a few hours to get
    results.

    Stuart

    Stuart, Sep 18, 2006
  5. Steve

    Phil Guest

    Steve wrote, On 18/09/06 9.37 p:
    > Just had an earbashing from swmbo about the fonts I used on the website I
    > run for the local community - www.diamondharbour.org.nz - where all the
    > fonts in IE have just gone big. Seeing as I use both linux and ff as a
    > matter of course, all is fine for me. Now, I know all was fine last time I
    > checked in IE... has anyone else out there got a similar problem???

    Font sizes across browsers is not consistent at all. I test in Safari,
    Firefox (Windows) and IE, and each one renders fonts at a different size
    (IE also seems to use a different kerning for some reason...).

    There is no easy way to fix this, other than trying to get as close as
    possible with absolute sizes.

    See:
    <http://www.thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/typography/incremental_differences.html>

    -Phil

    Phil, Sep 18, 2006
  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:38:09 +1200, Stuart wrote:

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> It's not unheard of to accidently scroll w' the mouse while the Ctrl key
    >> is pressed - seems the be the usual cause when I get nagged about it
    >> from clients.

    > Seems like a reasonable explanation for what happened here -- the site looks
    > fine to me in both FF and IE6 on XP.
    >
    > The OP may find http://browsershots.org/ useful: it lets you see what your
    > page looks like (screenshots) in a variety of browser and platforms. It's
    > under pretty heavy pressure though, so figure on waiting a few hours to get
    > results.
    >
    > Stuart

    ....except that it's the same on my windows 2003 server, and I haven't
    touched anything on that at all. Like I said, this is something that's
    just happened, not an inter browser problem.

    Steve

    Steve, Sep 18, 2006
  7. Steve

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    Stuart wrote:
    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> It's not unheard of to accidently scroll w' the mouse while the Ctrl
    >> key is pressed - seems the be the usual cause when I get nagged
    >> about it from clients.

    > Seems like a reasonable explanation for what happened here -- the
    > site looks fine to me in both FF and IE6 on XP.
    >
    > The OP may find http://browsershots.org/ useful: it lets you see what
    > your page looks like (screenshots) in a variety of browser and
    > platforms. It's under pretty heavy pressure though, so figure on
    > waiting a few hours to get results.

    Or http://browsercam.com/, which is much better, provided that you're
    willing to pay for it. It does have a 24 hour free trial however.

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 18, 2006