    fonts?
    Cheers,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Nov 21, 2003

  2. Paul Burdett

    Livewire Guest

    In article <3fbe27de$0$13634$>,
    says...
    > Hello.
    > I did a search for *.fon on my win98se cd. It came up with 20 fonts. I
    > compared this with the fonts listed in C:windows/fonts. There are 20 listed
    > in the win98se cd, but less in my windows fonts folder. I tried to
    > copy/paste the fonts from the cd to my windows/fonts folder but I get a
    > message saying they are already there..but i can't see them! i feel that
    > reinstalling the system fonts may cure another issue I have. i believe that
    > the system fonts have the extension .fon. how can I reinstall the win98se
    > system
    > fonts?
    > Cheers,
    > Paul

    With Postscript fonts, there is one file for, say, Times; a second for
    Times Bold and a third for Times Italic. In other words, technically
    they are three typefaces even though the average user would see them as
    vaiations of a single face. Might that be the answer?

    Livewire, Nov 21, 2003

  3. Paul Burdett

    °Mike° Guest

    What is the other issue that you have - you may be way
    off the mark?

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:59:18 +1000, in
    <3fbe27de$0$13634$>
    Paul Burdett scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2003
  4. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Mike..thanks for the reply (why are the replies to my thread listed as
    separate posts?)..the issue is as follows:
    I am unable to type text into the search (text) window within the
    "contents"/"index" section of IE6/OE6 & the "help" facility accessed via the
    "start" button. I can type numbers, but not letters. However, if I do type
    letters then the listed menu items move as if type was there! I have tried
    everything I know: colour settings, spyware eradicating, virus checking,
    other newsgroups, emails from Microsoft. Microsoft suggested using the
    msconfig facility, but unchecking the boxes in the general tab did not fix
    it.
    Also, under the "general" tab of msconfig, only the process
    system.ini/process win.ini and startup group items are checked and
    available. The process config.sys/autoexec.bat and winstart.bat files are
    not available (greyed out and uncheckable). Microsoft informed me that this
    is not a problem. The only thing I can tell you is that the problem does not
    exist when the computer is put into safe mode...but I can't locate the
    problem. My last thought was that it is a font issue...hence my original
    thread. perhaps you can make further suggestions? I plan to reformat over
    the Xmas holidays, but as I don't use the "help" facility much anyway I may
    just put up with it! it does bug me though!!
    Cheers,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Paul Burdett, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Mike..thanks for the reply (by the way..why are the replies to my thread

    Paul Burdett, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Paul Burdett

    °Mike° Guest

    There is a problem with the Q824145 security update that
    affects the help/troubleshooting tool. Microsoft have been
    advised of this, and the only solution (to date) is to uninstall
    the Q824145 update.

    This may be what you are experiencing, but check that you
    are not a 'victim' of the security patch for .chm files, first.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q811630/default.asp

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 09:14:51 +1000, in
    <3fbe9c00$0$14031$>
    Paul Burdett scrawled:

    °Mike°, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    Mike...you're a genius! It worked!! I've spent hours searching for a
    solution to this...the thing that's annoying me now is that I've emailed
    Microsoft about it...got replies from them with "try this, try that" but
    nothing worked. I've finally found THE newsgroup!
    Many thanks,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Nov 22, 2003
  9. Paul Burdett

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:12:01 +1000, in
    <3fbec586$0$13591$>
    Paul Burdett scrawled:

    >Mike...you're a genius! It worked!! I've spent hours searching for a
    >solution to this...the thing that's annoying me now is that I've emailed
    >Microsoft about it...got replies from them with "try this, try that" but
    >nothing worked. I've finally found THE newsgroup!
    >Many thanks,
    >Paul
    >

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> There is a problem with the Q824145 security update that
    >> affects the help/troubleshooting tool. Microsoft have been
    >> advised of this, and the only solution (to date) is to uninstall
    >> the Q824145 update.
    >>
    >> This may be what you are experiencing, but check that you
    >> are not a 'victim' of the security patch for .chm files, first.
    >>

    >http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/contents/WUCritical/q811630/default.asp

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 22, 2003
  10. Paul Burdett

    M Mullen Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 00:59:18 +1000, "Paul Burdett" <>
    wrote:

    |> Hello.
    |> I did a search for *.fon on my win98se cd. It came up with 20 fonts. I
    |> compared this with the fonts listed in C:windows/fonts. There are 20 listed
    |> in the win98se cd, but less in my windows fonts folder. I tried to
    |> copy/paste the fonts from the cd to my windows/fonts folder but I get a
    |> message saying they are already there..but i can't see them!

    Can't do that. Fonts are a different breed. you must install them. In the
    control panel you will find a font icon use this program to install your fonts.
    (under File)
    --
    ,,
    ( "> w