    Windows\Font folder - with the other 484 entries I see there already!

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Craig Flory Guest

    That is called a Style & you can do it with any font in Adobe Photoshop. You
    use Stroke and put a line around the font... any color.

    Craig Flory
    Craig Flory, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    Terry Pinnell <> wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a download source for a Windows font which I
    > can use for slide show captions please? Ideally I want two fonts:
    > white with a black border, and black with a white border - the sort of
    > thing you see on film subtitles. Mostly I can manage with a familiar
    > 'solid' font like Arial, Times or Verdana, in white or black. But a
    > font with a contrasting 'border' would be more satisfactory.
    >
    > Presumably I'm looking for a .TTF file, which I just place in the
    > Windows\Font folder - with the other 484 entries I see there already!

    I'm assuming by slideshow you mean something like Powerpoint?

    'Hollow' fonts tend to have a transparent 'inside' as these are really
    vector graphics.

    There are two ways to do what you require.

    Use the 'cleartype' fonts - Verdana, Trebuchet, Tahoma or Georgia.

    Make the caption a colour different to the background - yellow works
    well. Vary the colour according to what the main colour of the photo is.

    The other way is to use Photoshop. Type and position your caption using
    either black or white. Using the Magic Wand click on the type - make
    sure to uncheck the contiguous box. Select - Modify - Expand choose the
    number of pixels. Rasterize the type, then use the Paint Bucket tool to
    fill in this Expanded selection with an opposite colour. You could use
    hollow fonts too and use Select Modify - Contract, I guess - I've never
    tried this but I assume it would work.
    Stewy, Jun 12, 2005
  4. Stewy <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Terry Pinnell <> wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone point me to a download source for a Windows font which I
    >> can use for slide show captions please? Ideally I want two fonts:
    >> white with a black border, and black with a white border - the sort of
    >> thing you see on film subtitles. Mostly I can manage with a familiar
    >> 'solid' font like Arial, Times or Verdana, in white or black. But a
    >> font with a contrasting 'border' would be more satisfactory.
    >>
    >> Presumably I'm looking for a .TTF file, which I just place in the
    >> Windows\Font folder - with the other 484 entries I see there already!

    >I'm assuming by slideshow you mean something like Powerpoint?
    >
    >'Hollow' fonts tend to have a transparent 'inside' as these are really
    >vector graphics.
    >
    >There are two ways to do what you require.
    >
    >Use the 'cleartype' fonts - Verdana, Trebuchet, Tahoma or Georgia.
    >
    >Make the caption a colour different to the background - yellow works
    >well. Vary the colour according to what the main colour of the photo is.
    >
    >The other way is to use Photoshop. Type and position your caption using
    >either black or white. Using the Magic Wand click on the type - make
    >sure to uncheck the contiguous box. Select - Modify - Expand choose the
    >number of pixels. Rasterize the type, then use the Paint Bucket tool to
    >fill in this Expanded selection with an opposite colour. You could use
    >hollow fonts too and use Select Modify - Contract, I guess - I've never
    >tried this but I assume it would work.

    Thanks all.

    It looks like my quest for a black & white font is over-ambitious
    then! I hadn't realised that the 'open' types were transparent.

    I'm not too keen on yellow, or changing colours to suit the
    background. Apart from the extra work involved, the loss of
    consistency could spoil an otherwise professional looking movie. I
    suppose about 95% of my captions so far have been white, but
    occasionally I can't find an area of the image dark enough to allow
    that choice, and resort to black.

    Similarly, it's a pain to have to make a new JPG with the caption
    specially designed in the way you describe (in PaintShop Pro in my
    case), and I then lose the flexibility of moving the caption around
    and/or splitting it into 2 or 3 lines within MoT itself. The 'safe TV
    image area' adds a complication to this, and positioning the text in
    advance in PaintShop Pro would be tricky.

    BTW, the program is MemoriesOnTV, using JPG photos with MP3.
    soundtrack.)

    It's a pity MoT doesn't allow captions to be inside a rectangle (as
    you can do in say IrfanView), as that would also solve the problem. I
    think that's the way most film subtitles are handled?

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK
    Terry Pinnell, Jun 12, 2005
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Don Guest

    I usually import the photos into to premade templates in Corel Draw. I agree
    that yellow stand out quite well, but it's mainly about contrasting to the
    background. I move the text and any template graphics around to suit each
    photo them export as a jpg for slideshow.
    I use Proshow gold, but the text options for this are very limited, with the
    exception of being able to animate captions. I use Corel for most of the
    wordy or template stuff, then proshow captions for special attention getting
    effects.

    Don

    Don, Jun 12, 2005