followup to my problems with Win98 explorer crashing on file operations

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter Huebner, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Some while ago I posted a query entitled "windows explorer stupidity" ...

    I tried everything that group suggested, and nothing solved the problem
    (explorer crashing on multiple file operations, especially deletes and
    moves, but also copies at times; could NOT delete a directory with any
    files in it etc.).
    I repaired the existing IE, I then upgraded to v.6; I moved the IE cache
    directory, increased workspace, ram and swapfile, deleted all instances
    of desktop.ini I could find - all to no avail.

    Makes pulling pictures off the digicam a real joy, and disk cleanup as
    well!

    I finally got so peeved today I downloaded several reputed filemanagers
    like Powerdesk and oh, but if they didn't display the same symptoms.

    I finally did my umpteenth google for the problem. And struck gold this
    time: somebody with exactly the same problems blamed his NVidia display
    driver 'extras'. Woa, I had updated my drivers not so long ago - so I
    went and deleted all things like deskcp16,dll, nview.dll, nvcpl.dll and
    nwiz.exe.

    Lo and behold, Powerdesk can now delete multiple files and even
    direcories with files in it - so can Explorer.

    Thank you NVidia! I really needed that.

    Hope this proves useful info for somebody with similar problems.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Aug 22, 2003