followup: CGMP, IGMP Snooping, and the PIX

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Mike S. Whitlow, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. I'm posting a followp to a thread I started in Nov. 2003 called "CGMP, IGMP Snooping, and the PIX"

    I answered one of my own questions from back then, and wanted to share the answer here for others:

    I setup the following:

    World ->
    Cisco 2621 ROUTER(c2600-i-mz.122-17a.bin) ->
    Cisco 2950 SWITCH on VLAN 2 (c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin) ->
    PIX 515 (6.2(2)) ->
    same 2950 SWITCH but on VLAN 1 ->
    Two Multicast watching hosts (VLAN 1)

    I was able to turn IGMP Snooping ON and OFF on the 2950 switch and see that multicast were being
    constrained to only the multicast hosts' ports when IGMP Snooping was ON. The multicast broadcasted
    out to every up port on Vlan1 when IGMP Snooping was OFF..

    I was very happy that I could have my cake, AND, eat it too! ;-) I did not need an additional router
    to acomplish this, nor did I have to do any kind of tunneling..

    If anyone else who has worked with this would like to drop me an EMail, I'd be interested in hearing
    your information! Particularly, I'm curious about the role that the PIX plays with the IGMP process
    in general.. As we know, IGMP was designed to work between routers and switches, and firewalls were
    not factored into the core design. I'd really love to know what's all happening on that PIX with
    IGMP, but there is little to no information out there about the subject..

    Mike
    Mike S. Whitlow, Feb 27, 2004